Unhealthy Vegan to Raw Vegan

StrawberryField

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi Everyone. I've been vegan for 2 years but I was one of those extremely unhealthy vegans where I continued to eat processed foods like potato chips, fake meats, and white flour pasta as the majority of my diet. At the beginning of this year I water fasted for 7 days and then decided to go raw. As far as my overall mood and well-being the effects were immediate. Mentally, I feel wonderful. Physically, I fee great too. More energy throughout the day. I've become a light sleeper. One odd thing that started to happen is that my right eye seems to continuously be watery. Just my right. My right eye also happens to be weaker then my left and I've been wearing readers for about 3 1/2 years. I also tend to eat a lot. I have regular bowel movements but sometimes the bowel movement is huge like I've been constipated. I feel like I'm still adjusting physically to this and I'm really hoping going raw will bring back my vision. I also hope it will take care of a couple aches and pains from past injuries. Would anybody like to share their journey the first couple of months or even year when they turned raw vegan?

Hi there, StrawberryField! Glad to hear it has been a positive experience! I don't think we have a lot of regulars who are raw vegans, but perhaps someone will turn up to share their experiences anyway.

Have you read much about nutrition and raw food already, or are you aiming more to learn as you go?

I'm not surprised to hear that you eat a lot, as raw food is typically less calorie dense. That's probably fine, as long as the increased volume isn't causing you any digestive issues.

I probably wouldn't feel too hopeful about restoring vision. My understanding is that it unfortunately doesn't tend to improve as we age.

Have you been watching your nutrient intake in some way to make sure you're getting everything you need? I know other members here have in the past recommended the Chronometer app for this. Might be useful.

Hi Everyone. I've been vegan for 2 years but I was one of those extremely unhealthy vegans where I continued to eat processed foods like potato chips, fake meats, and white flour pasta as the majority of my diet. At the beginning of this year I water fasted for 7 days and then decided to go raw. As far as my overall mood and well-being the effects were immediate. Mentally, I feel wonderful. Physically, I fee great too. More energy throughout the day. I've become a light sleeper. One odd thing that started to happen is that my right eye seems to continuously be watery. Just my right. My right eye also happens to be weaker then my left and I've been wearing readers for about 3 1/2 years. I also tend to eat a lot. I have regular bowel movements but sometimes the bowel movement is huge like I've been constipated. I feel like I'm still adjusting physically to this and I'm really hoping going raw will bring back my vision. I also hope it will take care of a couple aches and pains from past injuries. Would anybody like to share their journey the first couple of months or even year when they turned raw vegan?

I’ve had a watery eye too. It can be something really minor like irritation or an infection. I would go to the doctor and get it checked out.

Also, congrats on going vegan and getting healthier!

Becoming Raw, written by vegan Registered Dietitians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, is a detailed and well-informed book on raw vegan diets: Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets: Brenda Davis, Vesanto Melina, Rynn Berry: 9781570672385: Amazon.com: Books

Although I'm not a raw vegan, I've read this book completely. It deeply reports the advantages and the potential pitfalls of raw vegan diets, with citations of hundreds of peer-reviewed studies.

The book doesn't completely discourage cooked foods. Instead, it wisely advises raw vegans to include certain cooked foods (especially lentils and beans) in their diets.

Becoming Raw, written by vegan Registered Dietitians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, is a detailed and well-informed book on raw vegan diets: Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets: Brenda Davis, Vesanto Melina, Rynn Berry: 9781570672385: Amazon.com: Books

Although I'm not a raw vegan, I've read this book completely. It deeply reports the advantages and the potential pitfalls of raw vegan diets, with citations of hundreds of peer-reviewed studies.

The book doesn't completely discourage cooked foods. Instead, it wisely advises raw vegans to include certain cooked foods (especially lentils and beans) in their diets.
Thanks. I actually gave in to potatoes, beans, and rice. But it was fun to do it for a month and I'll continue to be 80-90% raw.

Hi there, StrawberryField! Glad to hear it has been a positive experience! I don't think we have a lot of regulars who are raw vegans, but perhaps someone will turn up to share their experiences anyway.

Have you read much about nutrition and raw food already, or are you aiming more to learn as you go?

I'm not surprised to hear that you eat a lot, as raw food is typically less calorie dense. That's probably fine, as long as the increased volume isn't causing you any digestive issues.

I probably wouldn't feel too hopeful about restoring vision. My understanding is that it unfortunately doesn't tend to improve as we age.

Have you been watching your nutrient intake in some way to make sure you're getting everything you need? I know other members here have in the past recommended the Chronometer app for this. Might be useful.
During my fast I tended to have a little down time so I started reading articles about breaking the fast and it sort of transitioned to raw diets and it's Covid so I thought what the heck. Let's try this while I have the time to focus on it and develop some new eating habits. So I'm definitely on a more learn as I go path. However, I did break the raw today with a baked potato so there you go. But it will be a long while before I put processed vegan foods in my body.
As far as monitoring my nutrient intake I haven't been doing that. I guess I'm just going off on how I feel which presently is FANTASTIC.

I'm not a raw vegan, I enjoy my hot cooked food too much. However, my wife went raw about a year ago and has since found herself with exceptional levels of energy. She finds that she doesn't need to sleep as much and that she now finds it hard not to be doing something. In some ways her new energy levels are becoming a bit of a problem. My wife has a raw vegan friend who, although younger, is also having similar experiences. 🤔

welcome to the forum

My body does not like a lot of raw vegetables, it prefers the fibrous items like broccoli and celery and carrots etc to be steamed, at least.

Although we do eat some processed vegan foods, I love a whole food plant-based diet with lots of potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, pastas etc. Beans are a staple and they can not be eaten raw so it mostly fruits that I eat raw and greens, of course.

Please continue to share your journey with us!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Raw sounds like it would be expensive. I wonder how people make it affordable.
I think that it depends a lot on where one lives... The op shows that they live in LA...fresh fruit and veggies are Much less expensive in California than many other places... I have a friend here in Ireland who is 100% raw vegan, she is over 65 Very fit and healthy...Not sure how long she has been raw vegan I have known her for 5 years and she was raw before I met her.

Good for you @StrawberryField for deciding to be a more healthy vegan!
For myself I eat a Vegan mix of raw and cooked food...most of it healthy with only a few less healthy things...
One thing that I did many years ago was a ‘grape fast’ - for 3 weeks I only ate organic grapes and drank Lots of water...
I have Never felt as physically good as I did during those 3 weeks! It was like being high without any drugs! The high sugar intake probably has something to do with it...
If you do decide to eat a mainly raw diet please do as much research as possible to ensure you do it correctly...
Keep us updated!

Everybody. Thank you for chiming in. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, all of a sudden I'm not feeling very good. For the last 2 days I've been feeling just a little nauseous and light headed. There's also a little bit of mucus in my nose. I have low energy and sometimes feel light chills in my body. I had to take a nap today and yesterday which wasn't happening before. I also have this odd feeling where I feel full and hungry at the same time. When I first went vegan two years ago I remember going through a similar thing and it taking roughly 4 months to feel "normal" again.

I will say that for the last 2 years I never took a B12 supplement so I went to the store today and grabbed some B12. If it is a B12 deficiency, how long will it take to start feeling better again? The other thing I noticed in my diet is that I primarily have been using Pink Himalayan Sea Salt which contains very low iodine. Before, I was just using any old salt and a lot of the processed foods I was eating had salt in it already. So, I'm wondering if this could be an iodine deficiency.

And of course there's the theory that I'm simply detoxing. Below are the foods that I've been consuming on the raw portion of the diet:

spinach, kale, romain lettuce, arugula, cactus, corn, mushrooms, kimchi, sprouted tofu, avocado, bananas, apples, oranges, pears, tangerines, blueberries, pink himalayan sea salt, lemon and lime juice, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, kiwi, tomatoes, snap peas, dried figs, dried apricots, cashews, walnuts, macadamias, brazil nuts. Note: I've been eating 4-6 cups of leafy greens daily.

These are the cooked foods I introduced about 3 days ago:

Pinto beans, black beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes

I'm hoping that the B12 and Iodized salt will fix this. I've been loving this diet for the last 3 weeks but maybe I'm trying too hard to be a hero. My diet previously was mainly white pasta with spaghetti sauce, sour dough bread with avocado, black and pinto beans, white rice, lentil soups, vegan meats, french fries, potato chips, nuts, very low fruit and veggie intake, hummus.

Let me know what you think and again, thank you so much for the advice and helping me on improving my vegan journey.

Seems like this advice needs to be heeded. If you need help with CronOmeter, feel free to ask.

Everybody. Thank you for chiming in. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, all of a sudden I'm not feeling very good. For the last 2 days I've been feeling just a little nauseous and light headed. There's also a little bit of mucus in my nose. I have low energy and sometimes feel light chills in my body. I had to take a nap today and yesterday which wasn't happening before. I also have this odd feeling where I feel full and hungry at the same time. When I first went vegan two years ago I remember going through a similar thing and it taking roughly 4 months to feel "normal" again.

I will say that for the last 2 years I never took a B12 supplement so I went to the store today and grabbed some B12. If it is a B12 deficiency, how long will it take to start feeling better again? The other thing I noticed in my diet is that I primarily have been using Pink Himalayan Sea Salt which contains very low iodine. Before, I was just using any old salt and a lot of the processed foods I was eating had salt in it already. So, I'm wondering if this could be an iodine deficiency.

And of course there's the theory that I'm simply detoxing. Below are the foods that I've been consuming on the raw portion of the diet:

spinach, kale, romain lettuce, arugula, cactus, corn, mushrooms, kimchi, sprouted tofu, avocado, bananas, apples, oranges, pears, tangerines, blueberries, pink himalayan sea salt, lemon and lime juice, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, kiwi, tomatoes, snap peas, dried figs, dried apricots, cashews, walnuts, macadamias, brazil nuts. Note: I've been eating 4-6 cups of leafy greens daily.

I'm hoping that the B12 and Iodized salt will fix this. I've been loving this diet for the last 3 weeks but maybe I'm trying too hard to be a hero. My diet previously was mainly white pasta with spaghetti sauce, sour dough bread with avocado, black and pinto beans, white rice, lentil soups, vegan meats, french fries, potato chips, nuts, very low fruit and veggie intake, hummus.

Let me know what you think and again, thank you so much for the advice and helping me on improving my vegan journey.
Hi StrawberryField,

If you're consistently not feeling well, it might be a good idea to see your doctor, just to rule out anything serious.

Fruit-centered raw diets tend to be low in calories. If your raw diet is strongly based on fruits and non-starchy vegetables, with only very small amounts of higher-calorie foods (like nuts and seeds), you may be underconsuming calories. Our entire body, including our brain and immune system, is fueled by calories. A woman's daily calorie needs are typically 1500-2200 calories (more, if you are physically active).

Here is the approximate calorie content of different food types:

Nuts, seeds: 650 - 1000 calories per cup
Beans, lentils: About 230 calories per cooked cup
Grains: About 190 calories per cooked cup
Fruit: 40 - 100 calories per cup
Non-starchy vegetables: 5-40 calories per cup

I notice when I’m low on B12, and supplements make a difference almost immediately. I now supplement with more than the minimum daily recommended amount of B12 and I feel great. (Nothing excessive - just one supplement per day.)

A vegan multivitamin with iodine would also be a good idea.

And a vitamin D supplement - vitamin D deficiency is extremely common these days.

I also notice benefits from omega oil supplements. But that could be just me.

I agree with David3 that going to the doctor would be a good idea. You can always cancel if the supplements make you feel better.

I notice when I’m low on B12, and supplements make a difference almost immediately. I now supplement with more than the minimum daily recommended amount of B12 and I feel great. (Nothing excessive - just one supplement per day.)

A vegan multivitamin with iodine would also be a good idea.

And a vitamin D supplement - vitamin D deficiency is extremely common these days.

I also notice benefits from omega oil supplements. But that could be just me.

I agree with David3 that going to the doctor would be a good idea. You can always cancel if the supplements make you feel better.
Omega 3 is very important, mainly for your brain more than anything else. However, for vegans, it must really be obtained from algae, as this contains the DLA/EPA that does the good. Plant obtained Omega 3 is what's know as ALA omega, which doesn't convert very well in the body to algae/fish oil type. The only snag here is that appropriate source for vegans is not cheap.