Unhealthy vegan food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I knew I wanted to make the change in my diet, not just for the safe of animals, but also for my own health.

When I stopped eating meat, and daily products, I was doing the right thing for both my body and the
environment.

But.....is that all I needed to stop eating..?

After my first 6 month vegan I noticed, there was more than just meat and daily being unhealthy in my diet.

After doing a lot of investigation. I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to have a healthy vegan diet, it will take more than just stop eating daily and meat.

PROCESSED FOOD
CANNED FOOD
FROZEN FOOD

This food u buy in the market can contain
- chemical BPA

What are those vegan unhealthy foods?
  • Pasta meals made with refined white flour and whole grains ( also GF)
  • Packaged high-calorie snack foods such as chips and candies
  • Frozen dinners
  • Packaged cakes and cookies
  • Sugary breakfast cereals ( even if it's GF )
  • BREAD & Crackers
  • Vegan ice-cream
Eat more veggies is my conclusion, I am not talking about a completely Raw diet, But try enjoying the delicious food that is given to us by nature.

So..What are those challenge you experiences with veganism, what are your reasons, and did you give up in more then just daily?

Hope you all have a happy day. :)

- Pasta made from whole grains isn't "junk food" only paleo-tards say it is, don't listen to them
- frozen vegetables are fine, they're second best to fresh, and canned with no BPA lining is also fine
- bread and crackers aren't junk food unless you hang around some low-carb keto losers

While I understand not wanting to eat as much ice cream, chips, cookies or sugary cereals, some of the stuff you're listing as "junk food" isn't junk food.

• Haha
Reactions: Consistency
There are definitely vegans that eat unhealthy foods, either frequently or on occasion.

I do not agree that canned foods are part of that as beans and tomatoes and many other whole foods are canned. Do I check the ingredient list and buy the lowest salt version, of course, but to ban canned foods would just make life difficult.

I definitely do not agree that frozen foods are unhealthy. Many of the frozen fruits and vegetables are healthier than the "quick to rot" fresh ones and are always handy and available and so are included more often than if you had to buy fresh everyday.

Whole grain breads and tortillas and wraps can also be a healthy part of any vegan diet! As can whole grain pastas.

I notice you didn't mention 'added oils', in my opinion, this is the most unhealthy food that some vegans pour on their food or cook with. Healthy fats are readily available from avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters etc.

Enjoy your life, enjoy your food!

Emma JC

Canned beans here in Canada are unhealthy as they aren't soak, rinsed and cooked thoroughly. I've been poisoned more than once by the uncooked beans themselves and bad bacteria in the low sodium varieties.

Canned beans here in Canada are unhealthy as they aren't soak, rinsed and cooked thoroughly. I've been poisoned more than once by the uncooked beans themselves and bad bacteria in the low sodium varieties.

I live in Canada too and have eaten canned beans of all vairieties for over 40 + years and have yet to see one bad tin of beans or feel the least bit sick, even once. I'm not sure what brand you're buying or maybe the tins are damaged, but I just don't have that experience with canned beans. Eden organics is now my preferred brand, but I've tried them all.

Poisoned and yet here you are.

I have been eating both dried and canned beans for years and especially more over the last year and a half since the change in my lifestyle. I have had to dispose of beans from my own challenges of cooking them to perfection and have never had one issue from any of the canned ones. I buy the President's Choice blue cans and I rinse them before using except for kidney beans which I use the beans and the liquid in my chillies.

It is okay to say that you choose not to eat beans from a can, it is not okay to come here and say that canned beans from Canada are unhealthy, it is disingenuous at best. IMO

Emma JC

The store brand canned beans from Walmart(great value), fresco/sobeys(compliments) and PC blue menu are canned by the same company that doesn't thoroughly cook the beans most of the time. Have you ever actually split a chick pea in half to see if it was thoroughly cooked?

The low sodium bean mix from the above company is the worst because different beans require different cooking times and this results in some cooked and many uncooked hard beans/chick peas.

Low sodium canned food is a fairly new product and shouldn't be trusted. I've had to take spoonfuls of wine vinegar to kill off the bad bacteria after eating only low sodium beans on multiple occasions while I've never had to take vinegar after eating regular sodium beans.

I have always bought non dented cans as I know that bacteria can get in from small holes in the dented corners.

The Clic brand is the best most of the time when I was consuming beans because they do soak and cook their beans thoroughly but they don't rinse them.. so the antinutrients go into the can and rinsing is required.

I don't understand why Canadians take offense when there is a problem in their country.

I've taken food safe level one and two, and know the risks of canned foods. Nonetheless, I can't say I've come across one bad can of beans in my life. I've tasted some I didn't care for, but no food poisoning.

I don't think it offends anyone in Canada that you get sick from canned beans. I'm not offended by your bad luck. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Nekodaiden
I've taken food safe level one and two, and know the risks of canned foods. Nonetheless, I can't say I've come across one bad can of beans in my life. I've tasted some I didn't care for, but no food poisoning.

I don't think it offends anyone in Canada that you get sick from canned beans. I'm not offended by your bad luck. lol

I don't understand how being educated on safe handling of food has anything to do with preventing the intake of bad bacteria from inside a can with insufficient sodium to kill bad microbes.

Canadians are offended because they truly believe their country is the best. I'm not hating when I say this. Over confidence isn't good.

Good grief! I'm now completely convinced you would say the sky is red, if someone claims it's blue, just for the sake of arguing.

You are making a very sad attempt at putting words in our Canadian mouths. You are the one that's offended, it would seem, or you wouldn't bother trying to argue and/or make false accusations over such petty subjects.

This thread has served its purpose. Nothing good will come from it now, it would appear. Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.