Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmcc

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all

I'm vegan from a health, ethical and environmental point of view and I'm trying to push my employer to make some health based changes in our cafeteria. The new menu we have (Sodexho) has little icons to denote vegan, vegetarian and healthy options. They have denoted sausage and chicken dishes as "healthy" and I think I can make a decent case why that is an egregious error but they've also designated turkey dishes as healthy. Looking at fat, cholesterol and sodium levels, turkey certainly does seem pretty healthy for an animal product. Greger doesn't seem to have anything on turkey on Nutritionfacts.org. Anybody know if I can make a legitimate case from a health-based perspective why turkey is not a healthy option

Thanks
Mitch

I think turkey is just a little healthier than chicken.

this is an article from 2011 and still relevant

this article is from this year and has some info on why they are unhealthy to eat towards the end

and here's a great summary

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Yeah. Sort of obvious but turkey is really really unhealthy - for turkeys.

Hey whatever happened to the little slogans at the bottom of our avatar? Mine used to say that I became vegan for the health of the chickens.

MOD POST

Turkey meat can be considered as a healthy source of high quality protein for meat eaters. It really does depend on how the
animal is raised and also how the meat is cooked. Moreover turkey is very low in fat.

However, I find it slightly disconcerting for a vegan to promote health benefits of meat. As it is against the forum`s policy to promote and discuss meat, this thread is no longer open for any further comments.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Status
Not open for further replies.