Too many mushrooms

nigel1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I just had the opportunity to buy 10 pounds of very nice medium button mushrooms for 7 bucks, which I took. I'm going to make a ton of cream of mushroom soup, but I need more ideas, vegan, and preferably something I can freeze or will hold well so I can take it to work to share.

Thoughts?

Bake them in a quiche? That will hold up decently if brought right into work.
Cook them in chili . That freezes well. Mushroom stew might freeze okay also.
I've been buying a lot of shiitake mushroom hummus lately which is fantastic. I've stocked up and have a couple tubs of it in my freezer. I've frozen hummus numerous times and it's always worked out really well.

Reactions: nigel1
Bake them in a quiche? That will hold up decently if brought right into work.
Cook them in chili . That freezes well. Mushroom stew might freeze okay also.
I've been buying a lot of shiitake mushroom hummus lately which is fantastic. I've stocked up and have a couple tubs of it in my freezer. I've frozen hummus numerous times and it's always worked out really well.

Good ideas. I think I'll look into stews, especially. I can't make a decent vegan quiche unless I use silicon muffin tins, and that's a lot of work. My full-sized ones always turn out too mushy.

Mushroom Stroganof?

Button mushrooms are good for that I seem to remember it freezing quite well.

Has to be that or pickled mushrooms or mushroom ice cream or mushroom jam.

Had I time and jars I'd be pickling. I wound up making a robust soup that is still missing something, I'm thinking a base note like cumin or some nutmeg.

The rest I blanched and froze.

mushrooms, shallots, olive oil, garlic, veg stock coconut milk, salt pepper, a little soy sauce, keffir lime leaves, lemon, a touch of vinegar. There were some steps involved that you can imagine.

mushrooms, shallots, olive oil, garlic, veg stock coconut milk, salt pepper, a little soy sauce, keffir lime leaves, lemon, a touch of vinegar. There were some steps involved that you can imagine.

Coconut milk is very sweet and that is most probably the reason why the end result is a bit bland. I use vegtable stock and once the soup is cooked, I than add either vegan cream or milk.

Mushroom soup freezes well, so hopefully you'll have tons of the stuff for those lazy days when you don't want to cook. :)

Coconut milk is very sweet and that is most probably the reason why the end result is a bit bland. I use vegtable stock and once the soup is cooked, I than add either vegan cream or milk.

Mushroom soup freezes well, so hopefully you'll have tons of the stuff for those lazy days when you don't want to cook. :)

Nah, I use it all the time. Like I said, I left out a base note. Just need to add it. It's all better, now.

Thanks for the other ideas, to everyone. I wound up blanching and freezing the rest.

I love mushrooms, if you ever have an excess of mushrooms again these are a couple of my favourite mushroom-heavy dishes:
Mushroom Manchurian - indo-chinse dish, mushrooms deep fried in spicy batter, with a chinese-style sauce.
Portobello Wellington - Large mushroom, stuffed with little mushrooms, wrapped in pastry.

I like it this way, too. Sometimes I add some spiciness as well. :D

I caramelize my mushrooms (pan + olive oil + mushrooms + stove = Spang's Caramelized 'Shrooms) and throw them into my rice/pasta dishes when appropriate. Or, I throw the (cooked) rice into the pan with the caramelized fungi.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I caramelize my mushrooms (pan + olive oil + mushrooms + stove = Spang's Caramelized 'Shrooms) and throw them into my rice/pasta dishes when appropriate. Or, I throw the (cooked) rice into the pan with the caramelized fungi.

Yes! I love this. Good the next day in a tofu scram, too.

Reactions: Spang
When I have lots of mushrooms to use I either use them in a curry or just make a very quick pasta dish with mushroom and plenty of garlic and herbs, a good helping of oil to coat the pasta with the garlicy herb goodness. Sorted!