Tofu-I'm breaking up with you

Oooo! I looked it up and appears they have Hodo products at my supermarket. Dont think I have ever noticed them. Will check out for sure.

Reactions: Lou and Brian W
A few days ago I bought a package of Hodo Foods Chinese 5 Spice Nuggets. If or when I buy it again I will check the price. I'm sure it's more expensive than regular tofu. It's been fried and slow cooked.

A few days ago I made a stir fry with it. I added it first and let it brown a bit and then added the other ingredients. It was pretty good. Last night I made Pho. I put the nuggets in with the cooked noodles and just added the broth. it was also pretty good.

@Douglas, It was very firm and chewy.

I love HODO. It is the best tofu. Well worth the extra expense.. The only problem is getting it. I live in a smallish town, and have to order it online, which adds to the expense.

I can't afford it all the time, but I always bulk order it, in my Imperfect Foods order, every month.

I'm surprised. I found out I was paying $2 less for HODO through Imperfect. It was still more expensive than regular tofu, but a lot cheaper than the supermarkets. I'm glad I bought 5 packages with my last order.

Last edited:
The Hodo factory is just across the bay from me. I put on my "To Do When the Pandemic is Over" list to go visit them.
I've yet to see their soy milk in the stores. but I want to get some. And try some of their other products that you don't see in the stores. I wonder if they have tastings.

If you ask most people that dislike tofu, it comes down to mainly, lack of taste (blandness), and always the texture. I used to dislike tofu as well, until my friend's wife cooked some for me years ago. She's Taiwanese, and just happens to be very skilled in Asian cuisine. Previous to tasting her tofu, I always found the same thing as everyone, no taste, and unpleasant texture.

Sadly, I don't have her exact recipe, but I do know that after slicing it, she first marinated it, to infuse that important flavour it needs. For texture, she sliced it very thin, julienne style, into little sticks. She fried the marinated tofu separately, and set that aside until the vegetables were stir-fried. She then added the tofu back in the stir-fry at the last minute, tossing well with the sauce. They blended in very nicely with the other ingredients in the stir-fry. It looked and tasted amazing.

Long story short, that got me interested in tofu again. I've been experimenting with tofu ever since, and that was years ago.

My advise to the OP would be to watch some YouTube videos on how to make tofu crispy and/or tasty. There's a plethora of videos on the subject. Just be careful not to over crisp your tofu or it will become chewy and unpleasant.

For me, in my own experience, marinating is the best way to infuse flavour. However, if the tofu is sliced thin enough, a sticky sauce will suffice in giving it flavour.

Tasty tofu is possible! Just keep experimenting and reading and watching video recipes. Also, there are many types of tofu, from smoked, silken, pressed, unpressed, medium, firm, extra firm, super firm, and so on. It is very important to use the right kind for your recipe, and follow the right directions. So if the recipe says to press the water out, make sure you do. All of these things will help you enjoy tofu. It's worth another try, trust me!

For me, in my own experience, marinating is the best way to infuse flavour. However, if the tofu is sliced thin enough, a sticky sauce will suffice in giving it flavour.
I've yet to be successful with marinating it. but I found Sarah's recipe (see How to Cook tofu// easy & oil-free)
to be both easy and tasty. Sort of like what you describe.

I just noticed she has some recipes for marinating tofu. I will try them next.

@Lou

A little trick I learned was to freeze and thaw the tofu before marinating it. It makes it literally like a sponge after you press the water out. It takes on a lot more flavour that way. Freezing also changes the tofu texture, which some people either love or hate. Depending on the marinade recipe, sometimes an hour is long enough, where sometimes I like to let it sit overnight. If the tofu was frozen, because it becomes sponge-like, you might only need a few minute in the marinade. Personally, I don't freeze mine anymore, but thought it was worth mentioning.

@Lou

A little trick I learned was to freeze and thaw the tofu before marinating it.

Actually, I always freeze mine. There is always a few bricks in the freezer and when there is no longer any tofu in the frig, one comes out of the freezer to go in the frig.

Especially this year, the supply of tofu (especially the super firm kind) has been erratic. Or maybe its on sale. so when I buy tofu I always buy two (or more).

I freeze it because I don't want my tofu to spoil. The change in texture is just a bonus.

It is Clean Out the Fridge Day, so I took some tofu chunks, sprinkled with garlic/chili flakes, fried them, threw all the chopped soon to go bad veggies in the pan to stir fry, poured in the peanut sauce that was in the back of pantry, and then served on rice.

I always like Clean Out the Fridge Day.

I don’t know what I would do without tofu. I might eat more than I should. I love it in soup and also scrambled. I like to bread it and fry it and have with marinara sauce and vegan parmesan. I also live it as ricotta. And barbecued.

My omni son asks me to make tofu, sprinkled with Braggs & shaken in seasoned cornstarch & panko and sauteed
I eat my share cold with the Braggs
Love ricotta- or feta- or whatever it's supposed to be with the oils from Olives, some lemon, miso and nooch
I almost always make seitan with a block of tofu
Tofu quiche
Mashed with minced onions, celery, relish and vegan mayo and kala namak
broken up and sauteed with vegan cheddar on toast
Hot/sour soup
sauteed in stir fries

and of course silken tofu--
for french toast
bread pudding
chocolate silk pie
shakes

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have never been able to make friends with silken tofu. It always had a stronger soy taste to me. I should try again. I have a block in my fridge but pretty sure it’s expired. I forget why I bought it. I was thinking of making something awhile back but can’t remember what. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have never been able to make friends with silken tofu. It always had a stronger soy taste to me. I should try again. I have a block in my fridge but pretty sure it’s expired. I forget why I bought it. I was thinking of making something awhile back but can’t remember what. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I'm guessing it was the chocolate mousse, or as a pie with a chocolate sandwich cookie crumb crust :laughing: . I made such a good one with the peppermint ones. This is the easiest recipe-https://www.nasoya.com/healthy-tofu-recipes/tofu-chocolate-mousse/
If it's the shelf stable box, & in your fridge, it's likely good past the expire date
I've used it in a pound cake recipe from Robin Robinson

Found Hodo marinated, and I think baked, tofu for the first time. 8 oz. packs for $5.99 :hmm: . Easy nope :laughing:. I haven't even had Trader Joes marinated baked teriyaki or sriracha yet, and they're like half the price!

Reactions: Emma JC
At my market they sell Two pound blocks of Hodo Tofu.
I just finished my first two pound block.
I had cut it into little blocks which I bagged and froze individually.
I was pretty sure I made the blocks a little too big for my preferences.
So today I bought some more and looked at how to cut it up.
The package says it contains Eleven 100 - calorie servings.
I got out a ruler and it turns out the block was 11 inches long. So I just cut 11 rectangles. I'll probably cube most of them for stir fry anyway.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Once in a while, I cut my tofu into big cubes and roll the pieces in a dusting of almond flour, seseme seeds, and different spices. Then I bake it for a long time at 385 (until they're crispy). You can dip them in any sauce you like, I usually use tamari.

I also like to make tacos with my tofu scramble.