Today's Vegan Menu

Yesterday:

-Oats, flaxseed, cashew milk, PB, blueberries, walnuts & fruit 'syrup'

- frozen banana, blueberry, spinach, almond milk, maca & cacao smoothie

- wrap with veggie fingers, salad, avocado & hummus.

- sweet potato katsu with sticky rice

- glass of white wine & 'chicken' crisps

Delicious food and perhaps you should become a vegan chef or caterer. :up:

So I think I found the issue I had with not having a good experience with persimmons. Apparently there are two different kinds. Usually I only see these:
9BAC6A5B-D6B2-400E-90DC-62371C63D20B.jpeg
They weren’t good no matter how long I let them ripen.
Then a woman at work brought in a bag of these from a neighbor’s tree.
4A8AA0A7-382B-4BDF-8AEB-2F3511E4796D.jpeg

these were so much better! I had one that was soft and a second one a few days later that was still pretty firm and no cotton mouth! Lol. Both were very sweet. I was happy. :)

So I think I found the issue I had with not having a good experience with persimmons. Apparently there are two different kinds. Usually I only see these:
View attachment 19062
They weren’t good no matter how long I let them ripen.
Then a woman at work brought in a bag of these from a neighbor’s tree.
View attachment 19063

these were so much better! I had one that was soft and a second one a few days later that was still pretty firm and no cotton mouth! Lol. Both were very sweet. I was happy. :)

That true. There are the astringent variety and the juicy sweeter ones. In our shops we only find the latter.

Is that $1.99 per persimmon or per Ib ? I got 5 huge ones for € 1 the other day. :p

That would be each. This is why I don’t get to eat much fruit unless it’s something like apples, pears or bananas. Of course when fruit is in season it’s a little bit more reasonable but still expensive in my opinion. And forget buying berries of any kind... they are almost always outrageous. I have not gone back to the Aldis that opened up about 20 minutes from me. It had very little in the way of vegetarian or vegan options. I have been wanting to go back to see if they have changed at all and to check out their produce because everyone here is always saying how good Aldi‘s is. But to be honest, I don’t see it being a store for me, especially since it’s 20 minutes away.

That would be each. This is why I don’t get to eat much fruit unless it’s something like apples, pears or bananas. Of course when fruit is in season it’s a little bit more reasonable but still expensive in my opinion. And forget buying berries of any kind... they are almost always outrageous. I have not gone back to the Aldis that opened up about 20 minutes from me. It had very little in the way of vegetarian or vegan options. I have been wanting to go back to see if they have changed at all and to check out their produce because everyone here is always saying how good Aldi‘s is. But to be honest, I don’t see it being a store for me, especially since it’s 20 minutes away.

I wonder where persimmons are grown in the US ? Over here, the local farm has persimmon trees and they are inexpensive.I got mine for 5/1 Euro I also tend to by fruit that is in season; apples, oranges and sometimes pears( not a huge fan) as they are expensive. I also only every buy frozen berries unless they are on so.
In the US, I would buy blueberries, brambles and strawberries at the 99 ct store. I would also buy a lot of produce at the Mexican store Superior and it was quite inexpensive.
My cousin was amazed by my finds and she said that I knew the shops far better than her and her husband. She actually loafs food shopping and cooking. :oops:

Aldi does have some good prices for fruit and veg but it really does depend on whether they are on so and most probably the region. In the stores that I visited in CA, there were plenty of pb options including cheese, faux meats, chips, nuts etc. However, I never managed to find oat milk ice cream. The latter is really expensive in the US compared to the UK so, I only had some So Delicious which was on so at Grocery outlets (I know that you don't have them in your state) for $2.50. I honestly don't want to pay more then that for ice cream. In the UK you can pick up really good brands for less than £ 3.

I also don't think that it's worth such a long drive if you don't have enough pb options. Perhaps you could write to them and ask them to include more pb food ? My nearest Aldi is also a 15 min drive and the one the is even further - 20 mins has a few options but nothing compared to the UK shops. Even their burgers are vegetarian and not vegan ! :confused: My pal in the UK has recently told me that the new pb based options are coming in like hot cakes thanks to the flexitarians.

''Persimmon trees grow best in warm southern regions, in the Pacific northwest and into central and southern California. ''

This reminds me that my cousin in southern California, used to be given tons of persimmons by a neighbour who lived up the road from her. The lady would freeze bags of the stuff. I remember baking persimmon goodies for the family.

''Persimmon trees grow best in warm southern regions, in the Pacific northwest and into central and southern California. ''

This reminds me that my cousin in southern California, used to be given tons of persimmons by a neighbour who lived up the road from her. The lady would freeze bags of the stuff. I remember baking persimmon goodies for the family.
They say, in Europe, the leaders of persimmon export are Spain and Israel. But we mostly get persimmons from Uzbekhistan and Azerbaijan (these countries have a very vast range of climate zones). They can compete with Spain and Israel in growing persimmons pretty well.😃

They say, in Europe, the leaders of persimmon export are Spain and Israel. But we mostly get persimmons from Uzbekhistan and Azerbaijan (these countries have a very vast range of climate zones). They can compete with Spain and Israel in growing persimmons pretty well.😃

We get most of ours from southern Spain and locally. The season is very short, so I try and make the most of it. ;)

Black coffee, apple with peanut butter
Veggie sushi: peanut avocado roll and a cucumber avocado roll (lunch out with my old work buddies!)
Bean burger quesadilla (bean burger, vegan cheese, olives, onions and hot peppers)
Veggie spring rolls with hot sauce dip
Iced coffee with almond milk and a dash of maple syrup
I might have popcorn for a snack tonight.

Reactions: Val and shyvas
Coffee with soya milk/cream/stevia
mueseli with pumpkin seeds and yogurt plus a sprinkle of cinnamon.

A slice of granary baguette with spread and jam ( oats don't keep me full until lunch)

Seitan & pumpkin Rogan Josh curry, brown rice and sliced bananas.

An orange and some chocolate.

A scandinavian style sandwich made with granary baguette, spread, thinly sliced seitan and French mustard.
An apple.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Half a grapefruit, black coffee
Three-bean salad and pickled beets
Aldi chik'n patty on a toasted ciabatta roll with spinach, pesto, Vegenaise, onion and pickles; tortilla chips and salsa.
Trail mix (roasted nuts with raisins, cranberries and semisweet chocolate chips)
A glass of red wine

Reactions: Val and shyvas
Half a grapefruit, black coffee
Three-bean salad and pickled beets
Aldi chik'n patty on a toasted ciabatta roll with spinach, pesto, Vegenaise, onion and pickles; tortilla chips and salsa.
Trail mix (roasted nuts with raisins, cranberries and semisweet chocolate chips)
A glass of red wine

Your meals always sound so delicious. :lick:

Lavash rolls with plain hummus;
A salad of shredded and finely chopped cabbage, red beans and 1 pink Azeri tomato;
Pickled yuba;
Anjou pears, mandarins and kiwis;
Prunes, almonds and walnuts.

Reactions: PTree15
Muesli made with multigrain flakes, ground linseed, pumpkin seeds, berries and a huge dollop of coconut yogurt/stevia.
Strong coffee soya milk/cream/stevia.

Leftover slow cooked stuffed pasta shells ( nut roast stuffing) in tomato sauce & melted Violfie.
Alpro mango (nas) yogurt.

Tortilla chips & guac.
Alpro mango (nas) yogurt.
A glass of Merlot.

An apple with peanut butter; blueberries; black coffee
Lunch will be a slice of tofu quiche and a tossed salad with Italian dressing
Dinner is still up in the air. I'm considering pasta e fagiole, a wrap with Aldi chik'n tenders and veggies, or a tempeh dish.

Reactions: Val
B: a mix of black lentils, oat groats and kale
L: enchiladas and an orange
came home and binged on potato chips thinking about what to have for dinner :(

Rehydrated soy curls in water, squeezed out really well and tossed in Aldi citrus basil dressing and sauteed. Had on a oat bread sandwich with vegan mayo. Quite tasty! I found I like them best when used that way, it gets rid of their weird sweet taste

Reactions: Val
Apple and celery with peanut butter, black coffee
A salad with carrots, iceberg lettuce, pickles, olives, sliced-up dolmas, hot peppers, vegan smoked gouda and red onions topped with Italian dressing
Aldi veggie burger on a toasted ciabatta roll with lettuce, onions, pickles and mustard; tortilla chips and salsa
Banana-peanut butter ice cream with a few chocolate chips and a drizzle of maple syrup

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
Breakfast was peanut butter on some sort of multigrain (but not whole-grain) bread, with water to drink. And a big navel orange!
Lunch was a BIG burrito, made with tofu, beans, and veggies- I'm saving half for tomorrow. (One vendor at the farmer's market makes an excellent falafel wrap, which I've had for lunch for the past 5 or 6 Saturdays... but Man does not live by falafel alone...) The burrito was supposed to taste like fish, with the tofu marinated in seaweed... but although it's quite good, it ain't fishy. Or at least, not fishy enough for me.:pout: :p
Dinner just might be some rolled oats with plenty of "Mars Seedless" grapes from the farmer's market.