Today's Vegan Menu (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I made wheat bread for the first time. The dough totally didn't rise enough, but I baked it anyway. The pieces will make good toast. The flavor is great, though:

Wheat toast with leftover tofu scramble (ok, it wasn't a new recipe after all for dinner last night, lol, but I wanted it :D ); tea
Falafel with red onions, grape tomatoes and green olives on a bed of romaine lettuce; half a grapefruit
Dinner will be buffalo seitan stir-fry with green peppers and onions and Daiya cheddar shreds over basmati rice

So, I made wheat bread for the first time. The dough totally didn't rise enough, but I baked it anyway. The pieces will make good toast. The flavor is great, though:
Well done :clap: I am not much of a baker myself either... but it's fun trying.

Smoothie again... not very creative.
Big cauliflower & carrot salad with a coriander leaf, garlic and avo sauce.
Some walnuts.
Home made black bean & sweet potato burgers with another big dense salad.
Gluten free fig slice.

Reactions: PTree15
Well done :clap: I am not much of a baker myself either... but it's fun trying.
Thank you. I have always had trouble with bread. Mostly, it's a yeast issue. One time, I had dead yeast, but this time, the yeast was fine. I have a thermometer to make sure the water temp is right for dissolving the yeast, but I'm thinking maybe my apartment was too cold or something. I think next time, I will try putting it in the oven with a hot pan of water. I will not be deterred from great homemade bread! It does taste really good, I must say. I so prefer it to white bread -- unless it's foccacia or Italian bread, haha.

Reactions: Trinity
It's hard to have the patience to wait for that dough to rise!! To make it go quicker, especially on days when the temp is a bit cool, I put the dough in the oven with the oven light on. This lets the dough rise in a warm place with no drafts.

On a unrelated note, in case anyone wants to read/see pics of my weekend of pizza: http://www.marystestkitchen.com/vegan-pizza-weekend-pics/
:)

Wow that does look good. I'd not thought about putting tapioca starch in with cashews. I'll give it a whirl.

Yes do it!! I swear I've seen more then 20 other posts of this particular cheese recipe and all the posters say they love it!

Also, congrats on your book!

It's hard to have the patience to wait for that dough to rise!! To make it go quicker, especially on days when the temp is a bit cool, I put the dough in the oven with the oven light on. This lets the dough rise in a warm place with no drafts.

On a unrelated note, in case anyone wants to read/see pics of my weekend of pizza: http://www.marystestkitchen.com/vegan-pizza-weekend-pics/
:)
Thank you. I wish I had an oven light, lol. Apartment stoves are so bare-bones! I think I will try the oven, though, just to keep any drafts out. I'm thinking of putting a boiling bowl of water inside. I waited four hours, lol, but not much luck.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, frozen blueberries, sliced banana, cinnamon and almond milk
Snack: Salad with broccoli slaw, snap peas, cucumbers, crumbled crackers and hummus for dressing
Lunch: Roasted chickpeas, roasted red potatoes, mixed vegetables with homemade carrot+ginger sauce
Snack: Chia bread granola bar with jam (recipe from Oh She Glows blog), ambrosia apple

Thank you. I wish I had an oven light, lol. Apartment stoves are so bare-bones! I think I will try the oven, though, just to keep any drafts out. I'm thinking of putting a boiling bowl of water inside. I waited four hours, lol, but not much luck.
Ah, I had an oven like that once. It was from the 50's I think. Gas oven. It was the worst.

Breakfast: oatmeal made with soy milk, falx seed meal, chia seeds and whole grain teff. Sweetened with 1 diced apple and a little molasses and sprinkled with cinnamon. It's been a long time since I last had oatmeal...I forget why now :)
Lunch: leftover red thai curry soup
Dinner: Ethiopian inspired stewed kale, creamy edamame puree served with injera

Banana with peanut butter
Leftovers for lunch: Half a buffalo seitan sandwich with green peppers, onions and Daiya shreds; home fries; a cup of grape tomatoes
Orange, vanilla soy latte from Starbucks (I'm trying to keep these to two a week; baby steps, lol)
Dinner will be chickpea salad on crackers (too many carbs today, but I don't care; I want them all, muwahahaha)

Breakfast: apple, chia seed, banana & coconut smoothie
Lunch: Kale, carrot, avo, celery, olives, brasil nut salad with nice dressing
Dinner: Stuffed garlic mushrooms (stuffed with mashed coconut/swede (rutabaga)). My mission to make swede interesting really worked! They were so good.
With steamed savoy cabbage.
Home-made coconut bars (which are meant to be coated with chocolate, but I never got that far!)

Banana, tahini, coconut, maca & pear smoothie
Curried lentil & mushroom soup for lunch, then a whole pile of tasty cashews
Sweet potatoes & veggies with coconut oil & tamari
Tapioca pudding (coconut & date version)

Reactions: ledboots
Banana with peanut butter, tea
Roasted potatoes with cajun seasoning; salad of spinach, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, red onion, green olives, raisins and walnuts topped with a balsamic vinaigrette
Orange
Two small squares of dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt
Broiled tempeh in a spicy marinade with a side of chickpea salad on a bed of romaine lettuce and steamed green beans

Banana with peanut butter, tea
Roasted potatoes with cajun seasoning; salad of spinach, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, red onion, green olives, raisins and walnuts topped with a balsamic vinaigrette
Orange
Two small squares of dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt
Broiled tempeh in a spicy marinade with a side of chickpea salad on a bed of romaine lettuce and steamed green beans

I love a sprinkle of sea salt with chocolate.:lick:

I love a sprinkle of sea salt with chocolate.:lick:
Trader Joe's sells dark chocolate covered almonds rolled in sea salt that are just delicious. I decided on the bar instead because I have more restraint with it for some reason. If that box of almonds is anywhere in sight, I will devour the whole thing. :D

Today:
Orange; vanilla soy latte
Sauteed onions and green peppers with spaghetti sauce over basmati rice (it's a leftovers day); salad of romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, green olives, grape tomatoes, pepperoncini and red onions topped with Italian dressing
Dinner will be spicy tempeh sandwich on a roll with lettuce, caramelized onions and pickles; hummus and carrots

Status
Not open for further replies.