Animal Rights To what extent should non-human animals be held accountable for their actions?

veganon42

Newcomer
Reaction score
To what extent should non-human animals be held accountable for their actions?

**If the thread is too long and you do not want to read the whole thing, please skip to the end and answer the four numbered questions. Thanks.**

The whole animal liberation philosophy revolves around the fact that non-human animals are sentient beings, that their lives and wellbeing are valuable. Given that they are sentient beings, they obviously have free will. They make decisions. It is also obvious from simply observing them that they have personalities, preferences, values, friendships, loyalties. Take cats for example. Some are very friendly and will run up to anyone begging for attention. Some are kind of mean and will hiss and claw at anyone they don't especially like. Surely they realize they are not being very nice, to deny that would be to say that they are just dumb, thoughtless, mindless beasts, as many anti-animal liberation humans would have us believe.

With humans too of course there is a lot of variation in personality. We don't say that a human is not valuable just because they are mean sometimes, and I am certainly not suggesting that an unfriendly cat's life is not valuable. Of course it is valuable. But the point is, non-human animals have personalities, they sometimes act in ways that they know are not particularly nice, that are less-than-ideal, and, to some extent, wrong (however slightly).

Now, what if an animal were to intentionally harm someone? What if some cat who is a complete jerk decides that he doesn't like some human, for no particular reason, and claws that human's eye out? Sure, it's extremely unlikely, humans are usually the only animals to do things like that. But just hypothetically, what does that mean? If a human were to do that they would probably be jailed. Should the cat be punished in any way? If not, it seems to be double standards, but at the same time, non-human animals don't always fully understand the ramifications of their actions to the same extent that humans do.

Now, with humans, if they do something wrong unintentionally they are not held AS accountable, but most people would agree that if a human is harming other humans unintentionally, they should still be held accountable to some extent, especially to the extent that they are prevented from further harming others. For example, if a human gets in car crashes due to unintentional mistakes, isn't even irresponsible, but just is a bad driver, they'll have their driver's license taken away to prevent them from endangering others.

What about non-humans in situations where they harm others, but not out of malice? What about a mother bear who attacks a human defensively, while the human did nothing wrong? What if I, a vegan who means the bears no harm, am walking through the forest and accidentally come across them, then the mother bear attacks me? I would run without harming them if possible of course, they are only acting defensively, but what if to save myself I have to use lethal force against the bear? It isn't punishment, just self defense. The bear is only trying to protect her babies, but I did nothing wrong either, and the bear is the aggressor.

And what about in situations with animals living in human families? What if dogs chew on furniture and ruin it, what if cats don't care enough to use the litter box, what if puppies make a mess of everything? They aren't intentionally doing anything wrong, but after being yelled at they probably realize that their human family doesn't like what they do. What if they keep doing it anyway? Would it then be the right course of action to, say, keep the dog in a kennel when the humans are gone or keep the cats outside (assuming it is a rural home where they are safe outside--no busy streets, etc)? If that is not justified, then what is the right course of action? Just let them destroy the house and give it up to them?

And to finish it up, I would like to hear from as many people as possible on what you personally would do in any of the following situations:

1. You are hiking. A hungry grizzly bear decides you would make a nice meal. Your only way to save yourself is to use lethal force against the bear. What do you do? (running/escaping is not an option)

2. You are hiking. You accidentally come across a black bear with cubs. She attacks you because she thinks that you are a threat to her cubs, however, you did nothing wrong and made no threatening move. Still, your only way to save yourself is to use lethal force against the mother bear, leaving her cubs motherless, and killing her for something that she truly believed was the right thing to do (defend her cubs from you, a potential threat). What do you do? (running/escaping is not an option)

3. You live in a rural home with cats. They consistently don't bother going to the litter box, and you have already tried training them to do so. It is a nice safe rural area, but they still want to spend a lot of their time inside. You have a shed they can go inside if they are not allowed in the house. What do you do?

4. You live in a city with a dog. There is nowhere outside for the dog to be when you are gone. He chews and destroys furniture when left unattended, and you have no way of stopping him without putting him in a kennel. You have a kennel that is big enough for him to stand, turn around, and sit, but too small for him to run or play or do much of anything. What do you do?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

1&2.

Without being armed I am incapable of lethal force against a bear. (If I think otherwise then I clearly have the intelligence of a retarded salmon at the height of a spawning frenzy.)

If my plans to hike in bear country included arming myself then my plans clearly included using lethal force if the need arises.

If my plans to hike in bear country included NOT arming myself then my plans clearly included becoming a teddy bears picnic should I hit unlucky.

The only plan that excludes both the use of lethal force and/or becoming a bear's dinner would be not to go hiking in bear country in the first place.

3&4.

I remain completely oblivious to the fact that I'm an ***-hole who should keep neither cats nor dogs 'cos he's not capable of looking after them properly.

I eventualy dump my bad animals into a rescue shelter, get myself some new ones and repeat that cycle ad-finitum.

Last edited:
1&2.

Without being armed I am incapable of lethal force against a bear. (If I think otherwise then I clearly have the intelligence of a retarded salmon at the height of a spawning frenzy.)

If my plans to hike in bear country included arming myself then my plans clearly included using lethal force if the need arises.

If my plans to hike in bear country included NOT arming myself then my plans clearly included becoming a teddy bears picnic should I hit unlucky.

The only plan that excludes both the use of lethal force and/or becoming a bear's dinner would be not to go hiking in bear country in the first place.

3&4.

I remain completely oblivious to the fact that I'm an ***-hole who should keep neither cats nor dogs 'cos he's not capable of looking after them properly.

I eventualy dump my bad animals into a rescue shelter, get myself some new ones and repeat that cycle ad-finitum.

1&2 so, would you bring a gun? Of course you could not go there entirely, but if there are bears in the area you live that would mean not ever leaving the city (or in some cases, not even going outside *in* the city). Not allowing humans (yourself or otherwise) to be outside in nature just because you *may* have to act in self defense is no different than taking all bears, cats, foxes, owls, every animal that could ever be a threat to another animal, and putting them all in confinement. Of course it's different if you knowingly go near bears, but should the fact that there are bears in the forests where you live mean you should never leave the city and be in nature? Should you be confined forever to an artificial concrete city where no animal, human or non-human, is meant to live?

3&4 I completely agree that people who can't take good care of cats and dogs (or any other animals) should not have animals in their care. But what if you have cats or dogs for years who are part of your family and attached to you and their home, and wouldn't want to leave, but then for whatever reason their behavior changes?

I personally do not live with any non-human animals, because I am not in a situation where I could take good care of them. I would never take animals into my care if I do not have the means to take good care of them, I am not trying to justify that. But in some situations it's not as simple as that.

Hi veganon42.

So, you're vegan?

I am.

Last edited:
1&2 so, would you bring a gun? Of course you could not go there entirely, but if there are bears in the area you live that would mean not ever leaving the city (or in some cases, not even going outside *in* the city). Not allowing humans (yourself or otherwise) to be outside in nature just because you *may* have to act in self defense is no different than taking all bears, cats, foxes, owls, every animal that could ever be a threat to another animal, and putting them all in confinement. Of course it's different if you knowingly go near bears, but should the fact that there are bears in the forests where you live mean you should never leave the city and be in nature? Should you be confined forever to an artificial concrete city where no animal, human or non-human, is meant to live?

You can carry non-lethal protection; pepper spray, loud horn, etc. If you go into their home and they attack you, you don't have the right to kill them. If someone breaks into your house and you attack them, do they have the right to kill you in self defense?

3&4 I completely agree that people who can't take good care of cats and dogs (or any other animals) should not have animals in their care. But what if you have cats or dogs for years who are part of your family and attached to you and their home, and wouldn't want to leave, but then for whatever reason their behavior changes?

What if a family member suddenly has a behavior change, do you lock them outside or in a shed? If your pet has a behavior change, then you need to find out the cause. You can't punish or banish them from the house because them may destroy a physical item. Materialistic people should not have pets.

I personally do not live with any non-human animals, because I am not in a situation where I could take good care of them. I would never take animals into my care if I do not have the means to take good care of them, I am not trying to justify that. But in some situations it's not as simple as that.

You forgot to include the deserted island scenario. You're stuck on a deserted island with no food, but there's a wild pig (boar). Do you kill and eat it?

I am.

^
1/2: There's a difference between being in a forest and encountering a bear by chance, and someone breaking into your home. It's more like if you are out walking in the city and someone mugs you because you happen to be in their neighborhood. Is that justified? I'm not talking about going into a bear's den or cave, just walking in the woods and you happen to come across one. If you go in their HOME--a den or cave or whatever--then of course you're the intruder. Walking in a forest is not intruding, the forest belongs to no one.

3/4: Certainly a fair point.

Desert island: Not sure how this is relevant to the thread, as the pig did not attack me or do anything to harm me (knowingly or not), but if you are asking me personally, no, I would not kill the pig. I would starve.