Thumbs down for Asda

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi this is my first posting here . I joined to warn as many people as possible that I discovered today that Asda have introduced egg to their light salad cream .I have been buying this for years as it was the only vegan supermarket salad cream left in the UK. Even more annoyingly the website still give the old ingredients list. The Asda product list dated June 2012 is still available online as and also lists the product as vegan. The product is not labelled up as a new recipe but it does contain an allergen warning on the back. I have emailed Asda to complain but, as with Sainsbury's, when they introduced egg to a previously vegan salad cream I do not expect them to put this right.

Yeah its a bit sad theyd do that...I was meaning to try a different brand, as the Asda one was pretty nasty anyway..

Argh! How annoying :( asda were doing so well in my books, having introduced a new range of vegetarian ready meals (several of which were vegan and quite tasty). Now I'm gonna have to go with the intentionally vegan range, which is about 6x the price :(

Hi Aery Fairy you will see I have also posted on the thread I started on VB a while ago when Sainsbury's pulled the same stunt.. yes it's darned annoying. I'm gonna try some of the recipes people offered on there. I think there was one that added vinegar to the Granovita Mayo. I'll report back.

I dont live near an asda so it doesnt concern me personally, but thats annoying for everyone else! I use the Tiger brand vegan garlic mayo for anything salad-dressingy. Its about £1.50 (I think, havent bought it for a while, since discovering sriracha other condiments dont get a looking).

I never understood why a company goes out of it's way to insert an allergen when the original product was fine. In the US, Morningstar and Kraft put eggs in products that didn't previously contain them. Very annoying. Especially in the case of Morningstar when just a year earlier, they proclaimed they were going to take eggs out of their products, but instead, did the exact opposite and put them in more of their products.

I had the following reply from Asda today:

" Thanks for your email about our Light Salad Cream.

I'm sorry that this product now contains egg. I can certainly understand how disappointing this must be for you, especially as you are now unable to eat it.

Our technical teams are constantly working to ensure that our products are the best quality possible and are enjoyed by our customers. So I am disappointed that on this occasion we have made a change that is not favoured by you.

However, after contacting the buyer, I am delighted to let you know that are working on a new recipe which reverts back to no egg which should be available within the next couple of weeks. Also, I have also sent a copy of your email to our IT team who can look into getting the information corrected on the website.

Thanks again for your feedback . If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards

Katie Pyle
Asda Service Team "

So, assuming this new product does get launched, fair play to Asda for taking notice. it's certainly more than Sainsbury's did! I will keep you informed

That reply is encouraging! Thanks 1986, for contacting them about this. (And you too, Lord Snot :) )

I'm moving this thread to the veganism forum.