Let´s Make Veganism Less Strict

By not stating it's an opinion completely changes the meaning, so it would be bad writing to not differenciate between your opinion and a statement of fact.

Readers are supposed to be able to think and differentiate between statements of opinion and statements of fact without the writer specifically stating something is an opinion.

It is not considered bad writing for a writer to fail to write something like "In my opinion..." before every particular opinion they type out.

You do come across as believing your own ethics have a higher importance than others.

Most people with an opinion think or at least suspect that their particular view is correct until they encounter evidence or logical reasoning to the contrary. That's not a problem unless you are too closed-minded to investigate other points of view or give fair consideration to evidence or logic that contradicts your view.

There are too many injustices in this world to fight. To judge others based on their adhering to a common view of food will only hinder any effort to change, and will have your beliefs seen as ignorant.

Having an opinion about the ethical nature of certain behaviors in society does not make a person ignorant. Society "judges" the behavior of others within it in many cases I suspect you would agree with, which are why many actions individuals take are illegal.

Why is it fine for these other things to be illegal (i.e. "judged" by society), but not acceptable in your view for me to judge the ethics of other people's dietary habits? Your views don't seem logically consistent, because I'm guessing you think it's fine for society to "judge" others within it who do things that you presumably think are unethical... whether it's a person violating animal welfare laws by not taking adequate care of a dog, a rapist who rapes others, or a businessman who wants to dump industrial waste in the environment. The ethical nature of these people's actions are "judged" by society all the time... but you aren't complaining about that.

And not just legally judged either... but also judged from an ethical or moral standpoint.

Readers are supposed to be able to think and differentiate between statements of opinion and statements of fact without the writer specifically stating something is an opinion.

It is not considered bad writing for a writer to fail to write something like "In my opinion..." before every particular opinion they type out.
It is, however, considered a manipulative tactic to imply something to be fact when it is actually opinion, such as you did in your earlier post.

Most people with an opinion think or at least suspect that their particular view is correct until they encounter evidence or logical reasoning to the contrary. That's not a problem unless you are too closed-minded to investigate other points of view or give fair consideration to evidence or logic that contradicts your view.
I would suggest all people with an opinion believe their view is correct. It would be illogical to hold a view one thought was wrong!

However, many people allow that their set of ethical priorities is only one of many valid possibilities, and that someone else’s set may have equal validity despite differing from one’s own. If you give to a children’s charity, am I wrong for giving to a medical charity instead?

Having an opinion about the ethical nature of certain behaviors in society does not make a person ignorant.
No, but dictating that all other opinions are invalid is simplistic and, if trying to dictate to a majority, will definitely be perceived as ignorant behaviour. Change requires influence; a carrot rather than a big stick.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W and Mufflon
I don't think it is worth worrying about redefining veganism or making it less strict because I have come to the view that's focusing on the wrong idea. At the end of the day, veganism is about ethics. To come back to what I said earlier, I wonder if it wouldn't be better just to drop the whole "vegan" thing? About 98% of the population thinks vegans are extreme kooks and that their diet (which is all they think veganism is about) is dangerous. That doesn't help to advance the goal of preventing animal exploitation.

What if there was just the idea of veganism and those people who take it on board? No-one need bother about whether or not they even ARE vegan, rather they are free to choose what they do. Vegan advocacy would still focus on why animal eploitation is wrong and how people can make better choices and what is everyone's favourite vegan recipe and why Dr Greger is the font of all nutritional knowledge, but that's as far as it needs to go.

No vegan gate-keeping, no shaming non-vegans or not-good-enough-vegans, no moral high-ground grandstanding (even though it is the moral high-ground...). This stuff just puts people off.

We know that the proportion of the population who identifies as genuinely ethical vegan is pretty small and not really growing very much. Surely 20% of the population sort of vegan-ish is better than 2% of the population pure vegan?

I wrote about this a while back, I can't recall if I've shared that here before.

I have slightly changed my thinking on this since then, but more in the sense that I am more confident about the underlying idea. I wrote about that recently too, if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Lou