Thoughts on Seaspiracy on Netflix?

Haven't seen it, watched the trailer... apart from a cathartic tribute to the fish idk why it would be needed for anybody to go vegan... what is needed is a more 24/7 movement of people actively challenging people (in gentle ways) to go vegan

Why don,'t we see more like seaspiricy on.the televisionprogrammes.I see fatr to much non vegan ,pro meat/ fish eaters advertisements there. It is time we see vegam advertisements and movies there

Reactions: 500channelsurfer
We are also discussing Seaspiracy in the bottom trawling thread.

Just saw this. Maybe the most damning criticism of Seaspiracy .

This criticism usually comes after a documentary. The question of why the filmmakers didn't cover ALL the reasons why the oceans are dying. The answer is that the problem is too big for one documentary.

I have watched documentaries on plastic pollution, oil spills, whaling, cruise ships, invasive species from aquariums, Sea Shepherd, Greenpeace, trawling, bycatch, heavy metal pollution, overfishing, global warming, trafficking, subsistence fishing, etc. You could watch hundreds of hours of documentaries about the affects of humans on the oceans, and still only have scratched the surface.

Last edited:
One of my biggest issues with the flexitarian, pescatarian movement is that they don't actually reduce their consumption of animal products. They just up their consumption of another animal product. Instead of 10 lbs of meat, chicken, pork; they buy 10 lbs of fish, scallops, shrimp, etc. And the vegetarians usually just increase their consumption of eggs and dairy. There really isn't any net gain for the planet.

Animal agriculture is the biggest driver of climate change, but draining the oceans of all wildlife is equally damaging.

not sure if there is such a thing as a pescatarian movement.
But I don't think its a fair generalization to say that flexatarians up their consumption of animal products.

the label flexatrain can fit many different types of people. I think as a description for a diet it starts with the idea of eating less meat and more plants. I think it also includes the idea of eating healthier foods and less processed foods.

this is the definition of a flexatarian: a person who has a primarily vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish.

or this
The Flexitarian Diet is a style of eating that encourages mostly plant-based foods while allowing meat and other animal products in moderation. It's more flexible than fully vegetarian or vegan diets.

I put in the italics.

I also might go out on a limb and say that any diet that eschews meat eating is better for a person's health and the environment.

However.... you can find many "health experts" that include in their recommendations things like 2 servings of fish a week. If a person who is becoming flexatarian stops eating other things but does increase his fish intake, then you have a point. I feel its more likely that they keep their seafood intake low. Almost all the recommendations are not to exceed two servings of fish a week due to mercury and other toxins, if for no the reason.

Reactions: FlandersOD
not sure if there is such a thing as a pescatarian movement.
But I don't think its a fair generalization to say that flexatarians up their consumption of animal products.

the label flexatrain can fit many different types of people. I think as a description for a diet it starts with the idea of eating less meat and more plants. I think it also includes the idea of eating healthier foods and less processed foods.

this is the definition of a flexatarian: a person who has a primarily vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish.

or this
The Flexitarian Diet is a style of eating that encourages mostly plant-based foods while allowing meat and other animal products in moderation. It's more flexible than fully vegetarian or vegan diets.

I put in the italics.

I also might go out on a limb and say that any diet that eschews meat eating is better for a person's health and the environment.

However.... you can find many "health experts" that include in their recommendations things like 2 servings of fish a week. If a person who is becoming flexatarian stops eating other things but does increase his fish intake, then you have a point. I feel its more likely that they keep their seafood intake low. Almost all the recommendations are not to exceed two servings of fish a week due to mercury and other toxins, if for no the reason.

I've found that most people will just replace one thing with another. If they reduce red meat; they replace it with chicken, cheese, or eggs, or fish.

NOAA Fisheries reports increase in seafood consumption and landings

I watched it today and thought it was really good. They did a great job maintaining wide appeal without softening the underlying message. Some non-vegan friends have been talking about it and there's tons of press, debunking, and debunkings of debunkings going around so it's been pretty effective.

It makes me wonder if the fact that it's harder to emphasize with sea creatures actually worked to advantage...that it wasn't just too brutal and emotionally taxing to sit through.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
This criticism usually comes after a documentary. The question of why the filmmakers didn't cover ALL the reasons why the oceans are dying. The answer is that the problem is too big for one documentary.

I have watched documentaries on plastic pollution, oil spills, whaling, cruise ships, invasive species from aquariums, Sea Shepherd, Greenpeace, trawling, bycatch, heavy metal pollution, overfishing, global warming, trafficking, subsistence fishing, etc. You could watch hundreds of hours of documentaries about the affects of humans on the oceans, and still only have scratched the surface.
Tell me more about trafficking

Imagine if someone made a movie (Ok, book) in the 1700s highlighting human slavery and trying to end it.

And the response was like "don't listen to them because they are falsely claiming that 100,000 people per year are being forcibly shipped from Africa when it's actually more like 50,000 a year and many of them are actually being coerced rather than physically forced into chains".

Criticism would look silly in retrospect. Kind of misses the point.

Sadly vegan ethics are still stuck in the 18th century.

Vegans say things like "it is morally wrong to cause needless suffering for your own pleasure" to which people respond with things like "don't vegan foods have slightly lower calcium though?". :mad:

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Imagine if someone made a movie (Ok, book) in the 1700s highlighting human slavery and trying to end it.

And the response was like "don't listen to them because
Yes there were books. and newspaper articles. but mostly people in churches and street corners speaking against it.
but the response was mostly, "that is what the Negro is for" or something along those lines.

Which is more like, "Fish are for eating". Which is pretty much the basis of any non-vegan argument.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Tell me more about trafficking

Such brutality': tricked into slavery in the Thai fishing industry​

Tracking Modern Slavery in the Fishing Industry​

Forced labor—a form of modern slavery—is rampant in the fishing industry. “It can come as debt bondage,” says Irina Bukharin, a senior analyst on human trafficking and forced labor at the nonprofit Center for Advanced Defense Studies (C4ADS). Sometimes fishermen are told to repay transportation through labor, she says. Other times, they are recruited through deception. Once at sea, forced laborers disappear, essentially invisible to industry watchdogs. But vessels inevitably pull in to port to refuel and offload. And whether at Kaohsiung, Taiwan, or in Cape Town, South Africa, a close examination of industry figures gathered at ports offers a glimpse into the obscure world of forced labor.

Forced laborers don’t necessarily come from the same country as the ship they’re working on. Instead, they are most often ensnared by recruiting agencies in just a handful of countries: chief among them Indonesia and the Philippines.

Forced labour and human trafficking in fisheries​

A string of recent reports indicate that forced labour and human trafficking in the fisheries sector are a severe problem. These reports suggest that fishers, many of them migrant workers, are vulnerable to severe forms of human rights abuse on board fishing vessels. Migrant workers in particular are vulnerable to being deceived and coerced by brokers and recruitment agencies and forced to work on board vessels under the threat of force or by means of debt bondage.

Victims describe illness, physical injury, psychological and sexual abuse, deaths of crewmates, and their vulnerability on board vessels in remote locations of the sea for months and years at a time. Fishers are forced to work for long hours at very low pay, and the work is intense, hazardous and difficult. Capture fisheries have one of the highest occupational fatality rates in the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou