Thoughts on impossible burger and their testing on 188 rats?

saleri6251

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So in case you aren't aware Impossible Burger released a product that "bleeds" like meat, and actually taste quite similar to meat. IMO, it's the only real burger substitute out there.

I know PETA and some vegans aren't fans though:

"Impossible Foods, the maker of the Impossible Burger, decided voluntarily to test one of its burger ingredients—soy leghemoglobin—by feeding it to a total of 188 rats in three separate tests, killing them, and cutting them up, none of which it has ever been required to do in order to market its products."

And here's Impossible Burger's CEO's response.

>We designed the study rigorously so that it would never have to be done again. We used the minimum number of rats necessary for statistically valid results. Before conducting our rat test, we carefully screened testing companies and selected the one with the most humane practices. We sought advice from many sources to make sure we chose the testing lab with the best record for humane practices and carefully specified the most humane handling, testing and housing practices available without compromising the test.

IDK, as the only good meat-substitute out there, I think this product will be incredibly important in the years to come and have a huge net positive effect. Yes it's unfortunate that 188 rats had to give up their lives, but I just don't understand the argument as years goes on and the positives of this product is shown.

>Unfortunately, every new food ingredient for which a company receives a “no questions” letter will have gone through animal tests — there are no exceptions of which we’re aware. So the list of new food ingredients that have already been tested on animals and that pretty much everyone consumes is long and includes canola protein isolate, rice protein, pea protein concentrate, oat protein, and hundreds of other ingredients that are common in plant-based foods. For a list of GRAS ingredients, click here. Additionally, many color additives and food additives that have not gone through the GRAS process are also tested on animals.

Thoughts?

I don't know why I couldn't include links to the article I wanted to discuss, so just had to pull quotes.

I think this is sort of one of those gray areas that is interesting to discuss but sort of irrelevant as far as big picture stuff goes.

I think PETA does have a valid point. But so does the Impossible Burger people. And although PETA's concerns are legitmate its not unusual for them to take an extreme point of view just simply to make a statement and get some publicity.

I think its OK if vegans decide to boycott impossible burger. or if they don't, that's ok too. I don't think the Impossible Burger is really targeted to vegans anyway. According to the ones on this forum that have chosen to comment on it - burgers that bleed aren't really that appealing anyway.

But if it gets non-vegans to eat less meat - that is a very good thing.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Wow, thanks for letting me know, I don't think they should have done this at all, how terrible! I ate one a couple of weeks ago!

So in case you aren't aware Impossible Burger released a product that "bleeds" like meat, and actually taste quite similar to meat. IMO, it's the only real burger substitute out there.

I tried the Beyond Burger also and I thought it was even tastier and even more like meat.

I've never had an Impossible Burger, the Beyond Burger is enough for me. I think Impossible Burgers were invented with the compromise of "bleeding" to impress the sort of people who incorrectly and eye-rollingly refer to themselves as "carnivores" who need to see "blood" for some reason like to due to obsessive compulsion or some other neurotic fastidiousness. My ex was one of these people who always liked to eat the same thing and was afraid to leave his comfort zone, and while once upon a time I found this merely boring or annoying, I now find these people incomprehensibly insane or perhaps merely the adult equivalent of a spoiled child like Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka.

Yeah, so. There's a demographic of vegans who would bend over backwards and sideways to accommodate these kinds of people. Rather than simply impose laws against factory farming, impose tax on meat or raising prices on meat to fit its actual cost, they want to give every malignant narcissist a sporting chance to decide for themselves to be vegan.

And that's how the travesty that is the Impossible Burger happened.

Well, we have it now. I'm never going to eat it, but if it accommodates Chad and Barb from the corporate office, and gets them to stop eating meat, I guess it's not totally evil.

I'm not holding my breath though. I attend college with people who study environmental science who know the impact of cattle farming on climate change who still eat red meat. We're dealing with some serious garbage here. I'm thinking we need a vegan president, like Cory Booker, who is just going to be like...no.

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker was trying to walk to the men’s bathroom Tuesday afternoon when about 30 immigration activists surrounded him to offer their thanks. Booker had just vowed to testify against Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, a longtime immigration hard-liner, at the attorney general nominee’s confirmation hearing — something no senator had ever done to a colleague.

Progressives cheered the decision. When Booker followed through the next day and denounced Sessions’s record on race, many left-leaning voices were ecstatic:

Applauding @CoryBooker, first sitting Senator to testify against fellow sitting Senator. Will oppose #JeffSessions. http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/booker-to-testify-against-colleague-sessions-851273283851?cid=sm_fb_msnbc …

12:00 AM - Jan 10, 2017

Booker to testify against colleague Sessions
Sen. Cory Booker tells Chris Hayes that he's in a state of "grave concern" and he's ready to fight and resist.

But by Thursday, the story about Booker had flipped. The New Jersey senator and 12 other Senate Democrats had joined the bulk of the Republican caucus to kill a proposal aimed at lowering prescription drug prices. What made Booker’s vote all the more anguishing for the left is that the proposal won the backing of 13 Republican senators, and had a real chance of passing.

This is classic Booker — stand out front on feel-good social issues, regardless of his past positions, and align with big money everywhere else,” wrote Walter Bragman at Paste Magazine.

Booker has long faced criticism on the left for cultivating the elite financial ties that much of the Bernie Sanders wing despises. And while it’s true that his vote may have had more to do with the concentration of the pharmaceutical industry in his home state, it’s also only served to confirm some progressives’ suspicions that he’s too closely allied with corporate interests in the Democratic Party.

I've been watching Booker for a while.. He's been known to "flip" faster than the National Gymnastics Association when it comes to pocket lining.. wouldn't surprise me, to see him talking "Vegan" and having his pockets lined by Con Agra..

He's a politician like the rest of them..

POLY = many

TICS = blood sucking parasites.

Shoot, you know I didn't like some of his grandstanding during the Kavanaugh hearings.
Screw It.

Warren 2020!

Reactions: new vegan
New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker was trying to walk to the men’s bathroom Tuesday afternoon when about 30 immigration activists surrounded him to offer their thanks. Booker had just vowed to testify against Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, a longtime immigration hard-liner, at the attorney general nominee’s confirmation hearing — something no senator had ever done to a colleague.

Progressives cheered the decision. When Booker followed through the next day and denounced Sessions’s record on race, many left-leaning voices were ecstatic:

Applauding @CoryBooker, first sitting Senator to testify against fellow sitting Senator. Will oppose #JeffSessions. http:confused:/www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/booker-to-testify-against-colleague-sessions-851273283851?cid=sm_fb_msnbc …

12:00 AM - Jan 10, 2017

Booker to testify against colleague Sessions
Sen. Cory Booker tells Chris Hayes that he's in a state of "grave concern" and he's ready to fight and resist.

But by Thursday, the story about Booker had flipped. The New Jersey senator and 12 other Senate Democrats had joined the bulk of the Republican caucus to kill a proposal aimed at lowering prescription drug prices. What made Booker’s vote all the more anguishing for the left is that the proposal won the backing of 13 Republican senators, and had a real chance of passing.

This is classic Booker — stand out front on feel-good social issues, regardless of his past positions, and align with big money everywhere else,” wrote Walter Bragman at Paste Magazine.

Booker has long faced criticism on the left for cultivating the elite financial ties that much of the Bernie Sanders wing despises. And while it’s true that his vote may have had more to do with the concentration of the pharmaceutical industry in his home state, it’s also only served to confirm some progressives’ suspicions that he’s too closely allied with corporate interests in the Democratic Party.

I've been watching Booker for a while.. He's been known to "flip" faster than the National Gymnastics Association when it comes to pocket lining.. wouldn't surprise me, to see him talking "Vegan" and having his pockets lined by Con Agra..

He's a politician like the rest of them..

POLY = many

TICS = blood sucking parasites.

Everyone was mad about the big pharma thing, I remember the Twitter drama, I was more into the Tweeter Millennial politics last spring...I'd still rather have a vegan president than a non-vegan president. If my choices are Cory Booker, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, I'll vote for Cory Booker, even if I don't think he's perfect.

No one is sure if Bernie would actually run in 2020, people keep saying it, and he wants to be nice and give everyone hope, but he'll be almost 80.

No more old white guys!

John Kerry might be ok. If Elizabeth won't run, then maybe Kamala Harris. I just don't know if the Dems have the guts to run another woman. but then after Kavanaugh, maybe they don't dare not to.

Regarding the Impossible Burger. I tried a No Bull one, which bled beetroot juice. Even my non-vegan husband wouldn't eat it claiming it was tasteless. I just found it repugnant. Companies who make 'vegan' food for non-vegans are just jumping on the bandwagon. Lots of people only worry about their own health, not the animals. This proves it. I only bought them for my husband, I don't like to eat stuff that resembles flesh.

"We designed the study rigorously so that it would never have to be done again."

Seriously? That's what the CEO actually said? Tell that to the rats that were killed for this study.. That sounds so moronic..

We killed as few rats as possible, so they wouldn't have to die again.

Do people in power really believe folks are that stupid? Well, okay.. let me rephrase that.. That's what they are depending on, actually.

Animals died, to make this guy rich, and there he is defending it.. Why not just say:

"Okay.. we killed several rats to make money, end of story.."

Maybe Off topic:

I, personally don't understand the need for people to see "bleeding" in order to make a vegan burger believable. I mean, really.. I, actually see guys finding reasons to stay away from the house sometimes to avoid being around their wives during that time of the month..:confused:

Reactions: veganDreama
I don't understand how killing rats will make a better burger.

I would be worried if animals had to die in testing a food product ... like what ... was it toxic to start with, and rats died, and through further iterations it became less toxic ? Yuck !

In my opinion, there are instances where it might make sense to test on animals, like when testing a new vaccine, or medicine.

Since the thread went political, I don't live in US, but I support the Republicans. Vegan and right wing.

Vegan and right wing.

I've always associated veganism with left wing politics. I'm glad that isn't necessarily the case. Do you feel veganism and right wing politics dovetail in any way? I suppose if you extend the right wing emphasis on individual freedom and liberty to non-humans it makes sense. In any case, I'm glad veganism isn't bound by partisan lines.

In my opinion, there are instances where it might make sense to test on animals, like when testing a new vaccine, or medicine.

I disagree. There is NEVER a good reason to test animals. Their is stem cells and computer simulation. Even before modern advancement animal testing wasn't truly necessary. Now animal experiments are actually holding REAL research back.

I'm not left or right wing. Their is a lot of mud slinging on BOTH sides.

I once liked Sarah Palin (which didn't go down very well) because she gave birth to a baby with downs syndrome and she said he had a lot to teach us. It's just so good when people say positive things about the disabled and don't think we all need euthanising.