The Weather.

The weather people mentioned your town on TV, so of course, I thought of you immediately. They say the worst of it should be offshore soon. We were not in the path of the first go-round, but I guess more are coming. Lots of thunder and lightning, but so far no crazy wind.
It kicked up again...a few more thunder rumbles going on now but not bad. Hope you don’t get it too bad.

It kicked up again...a few more thunder rumbles going on now but not bad. Hope you don’t get it too bad.
Glad to hear it's getting better. We were super lucky. The worst of it skirted Hartford, so we got just thunder and lightning and rain. Happy that we didn't get the gusty winds.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
It’s been raining really hard. The streets are pretty flooded. A tree branch was actually floating down the street. I tried to get a video but it went by too fast.

• Wow
Reactions: Val
It’s been raining really hard. The streets are pretty flooded. A tree branch was actually floating down the street. I tried to get a video but it went by too fast.
Yikes! I hope your house doesn't get flooded.

I just checked the garage and so far so good. Husband needs to order dirt to put around the foundation and correct the pitch. I’ll need to prompt him again I think. It should probably get done before the winter sets in.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
The rain is crazy...it’s still pouring and still thundering but no more lightning. And I think we really need the rain.

Round four of thunder and lightning. It’s kind of cool because all is well. It’s been years since I’ve been in a thunder storm that’s lasted this long. Usually we get two or three booms and it’s over. This has been about 90 minutes I think.

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven and Val
Is all this storm activity from hurricane Laura? I haven't been watching any TV all day to see anything about it.
I don’t think so. It hasn’t worked it’s way up here yet. I think it’s just a regular old thunderstorm lol.
I think we’re finally done. It’s been quiet for the last 30 minutes or so.
Branford and Guilford got hit bad. Downed trees everywhere. Rescue teams are being sent in to help clear because they can’t reach approximately 100 homes. I think there are pics. I’ll try and post some.

National guard is being sent in. 99% without power. The thought is it must have been tornado 🌪 but no confirmation. Branford is about 15 miles from me. I feel bad for them but I’m so glad it wasn’t that bad here.

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven and Chryssie
Very cold. Unghshu is in his upper veranda, lying around in bed, watching a Hallmark movie and having supper (in bed!) Had to put on my favourite long-sleeved top (not the winter one, but still its comfy and warm). I switched my small electric heater to maximum, but it's not enough and Unghshu is freezing.🥶 I should have brought warm dense socks in here.
Weather guys promise us rain every single day, but the weather doesn't always match their prognosis.😁 Nevertheless, yesterday's 24-hour-long downpour caused quite a mess: this nasty clay on our road (plus on our plot and everywhere else in the communities) became liquid and almost dissolved in other mud chunks, so it's impossible to detect where this clay is, especially in the darkness. Therefore, it's so slippery that we walk like "cows on ice". Unghshu walks very carefully.🐾🐨

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Raven and PTree15
My friend lives in North Haven, and that town got nailed by the storms, too. Her garage was destroyed by a big tree falling on it. Luckily no one was hurt, but her car may be trashed. She didn't know how bad it was because they were still trying to remove the tree. Her husband's car survived because he was out at the store when the storm hit. It came on in seconds. She was sitting on her porch and then got a text about a tornado warning. She high-tailed it to the basement and stayed down there for half an hour. Scary!

My friend lives in North Haven, and that town got nailed by the storms, too. Her garage was destroyed by a big tree falling on it. Luckily no one was hurt, but her car may be trashed. She didn't know how bad it was because they were still trying to remove the tree. Her husband's car survived because he was out at the store when the storm hit. It came on in seconds. She was sitting on her porch and then got a text about a tornado warning. She high-tailed it to the basement and stayed down there for half an hour. Scary!
It’s so weird that these random storms seem to keep popping up. We’ve had so many hurricanes and nor’easters/blizzards that didn’t do half the damage as some of these so called thunderstorms. We’re expecting a possible severe thunderstorm tomorrow afternoon. I think that is the remnant of Laura. Thankfully she lost most of her steam.
I’m glad your friend wasn’t hurt. It sucks about her car and garage though.
I heard the storm went through where Home Depot is there and they had everyone in the store move to the back.
I drove down I95 today and saw the remnants of the downed trees. They did a good job with cleanup. I think most of Branford’s power has been restored too.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and Val