Nutrition & Diet The Truth About Coconut & Date Sugar

A well written piece - sounds like it's similar-ish to brown sugar, except for one thing:
The real benefit of coconut sugar is that it doesn’t cause your blood sugar to spike as much as most other sugars do. The University of Sydney pegs coconut sugar as a low-glycemic food, with a glycemic index (GI) of 54.

I could only read the first page which was all about coconut sugar- not a whole food- when I clicked next it asked me to unblock my ad blocker, but never let me continue :rolleyes:

Anyway, I solely use date syrup, which I make by blending dates covered in water.
dates | Health Topics | NutritionFacts.org
I think this has been my greatest strategy in keeping to a wfpb diet. I just use it to add some sweet to sauces, dressings, whatever. I'll sometimes have a frozen date or two with tea. I use it in bars I make with nut butter, seeds, cocoa and oat flour. Those are so filling and good I should always keep in the fridge!

ETA: I so dislike Ellie! She has a 'healthy food' show I've seen. Like throw out the egg yolks and just use the whites. Lean chicken and fish. :rolleyes:

I hate this type of thinking. She promotes moderation, linking things like even date sugars with processed sugar "a cookie is still a cookie" :rolleyes: as if we have to have replacements for everything! So often what we need to do is eliminate, not replace, things we think of as food.
Some people can reduce smoking to just when they have drinks. For most everyone they just need to quit. For me this includes junk foods

Last edited by a moderator:
I use coconut sugar and agave syrup when baking or making desserts. I definitely can vouch that it's healthier(no sugar spikes) compared to plain sugar when using small amounts. I usually add a small quantity with sweeteners and omit plain sugar.
I find that coconut sugar gives a subtle flavour to baked treats and also a pleasant taste.