Coconut

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been trying to cut back on coconut oil and coconut milk in my diet.

I was watching a video about coconut oil clogging the arteries as effectively as animal saturated fat.

It seems to be in just about everything. Plant based butters, cheese, cream cheese, and milks. Indian and Asian sauces and soups.

It has forced me to do portion controls on a lot of my favorite items and recipes. I used to sit and eat a pretty big portion of ice cream. Now I strictly portion control, and I don't go back for a second portion later in the day. If a recipe says a full can of coconut milk; I use half. Those faux cheddar slices. I get one, on crackers, and that is it.

I loved popcorn cooked in coconut oil. Now I make do with safflower oil with some nooch.

(sigh)

I am lucky in that when we finally went vegan we did so from Dr McDougall's Starchivore whole food plant-based attitude and so cut out almost all oils right from the beginning and so although we do use more now than we did then we are still very conservative (me more so than my Honey). I love coconut milk curries and try to buy the tiny cans, when I can and then use a plant milk to supplement the difference. I no longer have coconut oil itself around (we used to cook our eggs in it) and have just olive oil, some sesame oil, and PB butter.

We use an air popper for popcorn and use a bit of butter/olive oil, with lots of spices in it, on top.

Living this way has made a huge difference in my weight as I do not exercise hardly at all and yet we eat large amounts of food because they are mostly starches, veggies, fruits and beans/soy curls. When we do eat Gardein or Fieldroast we try to keep it to one sausage each and less than the full package of Gardein if possible. I like using Cheez Shreds instead of the slices and it is easier to control the portion size without feeling ripped off and as for ice cream, I also try to limit it by only buying Breyer's when it is on sale and then put thawed frozen fruit with it. My honey will eat a huge bowl if I don't serve it while I prefer a small portion with lots of blueberries or dark cherries.

Using more spices makes using less oil easier. IMO

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I loved popcorn cooked in coconut oil. Now I make do with safflower oil with some nooch.

I'm not sure my method would work for you, but I thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion, nonetheless.

So...I use an air popper for my popcorn (no oil required). I also love nooch on my popcorn. However, without some sort moistening of the popcorn it doesn't stick very well.

Solution: Use an oil spritzer, which will use a fraction of the oil. I would guess I use less than a teaspoon for a huge bowl of popcorn. I use the spritzer as it's popping into the bowl, so it sort of covers most of the popped corn. The nooch seems to stick really well to the slightly moistened popcorn. Alternatively, you could even use a little water in the spritzer.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I was very surprised at the amount of coconut oil in the plant based items. It is in just about everything. I now have to carefully check the plant based butters for coconut oil. Not very healthy there. I loved Miyoko's butter, but that has to go.

I picked up a brand called Next Milk. I didn't check it, and realized that the major ingredient was coconut oil. Not real healthy.

Reactions: Emma JC
Some diets believe fats, especially added oils, should be limited. I see it as a treat and trade off. Something made with coconut products is better than the regular store bought options. Fat is flavor so use more seasonings and a variety of them.

Reactions: Emma JC
I would never use coconut oil in anything. I use olive, sesame, avocado and walnut oil.
Coconut oils is not healthy and ppl adding it everywhere is doing themself a great bearhug (aka, unfavor).

Coconut oil is used for some desserts because it's more stable at room temperature. Some of the fats in coconut are considered healthy fats. It's all about moderation. Many regular frostings are made with shortening. Agar is a good alternative but often takes practice to work with it and get the right consistency for a recipe. I wouldn't use much of any of it. I prefer eating the avocados instead of using the oil, the same for peanuts, etc.

Greetings, I recommend using coconut milk mixed with intermitent fasting, and coconut oil for fats, and vegan protein powder for proteins. Or at least that`s what i`ve realized that will save us from global warming & healthy mostly-liquid diet. So it`s an utopian diet :D

It sounds like you're trying hard to make positive changes to your diet. I understand it can be difficult to cut back on certain ingredients like coconut oil and coconut milk, but I'm sure you are already feeling the benefits of making healthier choices. For example, reducing your portion size of ice cream is a great way to lower your calorie intake, and switching from coconut oil to safflower oil can help to reduce your intake of saturated fats. Have you thought about replacing some of your favorite recipes with healthier alternatives? There are lots of delicious plant-based recipes out there that don't require coconut oil and coconut milk. I hope this helps!