The social struggle is real

I think we can all relate. I attended a work lunch recently at a bar/restaurant piled with meat except for a bean burger. Then something interesting happened. A co-worker said he was trying to cut down on meat. Another co-worker let out an agonized "why!?!?" (and people wonder why we don't say anything). The answer: high cholesterol. I showed him the bean burger on the menu and, for once, had a non-meat partner at a work lunch. Usually when I order a vegan item during a work lunch, I wait for the taunts to come reigning down. This group hasn't said much, though, so that's made it easier. They may not join in, but they seem to respect my choices (or they choose to remain silent), which is fantastic. At other places I've worked, co-workers have asked me bizarre questions when I order the bean burger or the tofu dish, etc.

Thankfully, my wife has a similar diet to mine, so things work out fine at home. But my extended family continues their lives of dedicated meat eating, sometimes 3 times a day. As always, I order the tofu, the mock duck, or the only vegan dish on the menu at family gatherings. It's awkward, and I do feel a little bit like a freak, but I persist because I want to. They haven't threatened to disown me yet, at least.

So, @g0rph, try to go easy on yourself. You're sticking to an ethical principle and that rarely comes with social rewards, but it does come with many others. Such are the tradeoffs we make.