The PETA thread

Muggle

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I did it.
banana2.gif

Soooooo.... What are your views on PETA? I personally hate them and think they give AR and veg*ns a very bad name.

I think they have some very annoying campaigns and they do obviously try and shock but I don't despise them as much as some of the vegans I have met. I knew a woman who worked for them and she was a very intelligent person.

I appreciate many of the things they do. Like most others though, I have my reservations about some of their campaigns.

Good intentions with self defeating ways of trying to achieve them. My first encounter with peta as a kid left a bitter taste that still lingers today. It is not true that all publicity is beneficial.

Reactions: thefadedone
I remember that the first time I had something about them, it left an impression that was positive - I was startled to realize that there were others in the world who thought of animals as more than just property or objects that happen to move. Whatever the context, it wasn't vegetarianism, though - it was a number of more years before I realized that such a thing as vegetarianism existed outside of a Hindu or other religious context. And it was a couple of years after that before I went vegetarian.

Peta didn't impinge on my consciousness after that first notice until after I was already vegetarian, when they started doing more outre things to garner attention. I understand the point PeTA supporters make about the organization's role in attracting attention to animal causes, but I think much/most of what they do now is counterproductive because it enables the general population to dismiss everyone who is AR as being unrealistic, ignorant idiots. Not all publicity is good publicity, despite the saying.

Reactions: Freesia
I appreciate the campaigns where the attractive women mark out the cuts of meat on their scantily clad bodies... other than that meh.

The only good side to them is the fact that they sometimes manage to pester people into making changes. Everything else isn't so good. They give vegetarianism a bad name with their crazy ways and simply perpetuate all the stereotypes that drag us down. They started off very noble in a time when nobody gave a **** about farm animals, but lately they've just gone bad. I'd much rather have someplace like Farm Sanctuary in charge of the AR movement because they'd reach out to so many more people.

Reactions: Queerasaurus Rex
PETA gives Veg*ns a bad name. Whenever people first find out I'm a veggie, they usually give me a strange look, until I tell them I'm a health veggie and not an AR veggie. They then breath a sigh of relief.

I don't love or hate them. I like some of their campaigns (sp), i'm being lazy )

was a member for 22 years and regret that....I wish I would have donated that money and time to a local organization....I guess I dont feel anyway about them....or anything for them...there are many core issues that we severely disagree on and I just couldnt keep supporting them or their work.

peace, love and laughter:)

Sometimes they help the cause and sometimes they really don't.
I hate how if you are vegetarian/vegan, people will automatically assume you're a PETA lover and then go off on a tangent about it.
I just tell them I don't like PETA and I mention places like Farm Sanctuary or Compassion Over Killing.

Sometimes they help the cause and sometimes they really don't.
I hate how if you are vegetarian/vegan, people will automatically assume you're a PETA lover and then go off on a tangent about it.
True. Although I've noticed some omnis seem to think PETA is crazier than it actually is. I remember debating this one guy who brought up the fact that they recommend keeping cats indoors and a bunch of other not-very-crazy stuff stuff from PETA's website in an attempt to prove how nutty its views are. I found myself defending PETA on virtually every point even though I'm not a PETA supporter.

True. Although I've noticed some omnis seem to think PETA is crazier than it actually is. I remember debating this one guy who brought up the fact that they recommend keeping cats indoors and a bunch of other not-very-crazy stuff stuff from PETA's website in an attempt to prove how nutty its views are. I found myself defending PETA on virtually every point even though I'm not a PETA supporter.

That's a cultural thing. It's highly unusual for cats to be kept indoors here, and to many people it's considered cruel. Lots of rescues won't let you take a cat unless you can show s/he will have outdoor access.

I think PETA do a lot of harm to the cause and to animals. A LOT. They must kill more animals per year than some small scale farmers, and that's scary. They also do some good for the cause and for animals. I don't know if the good outweighs the bad, I don't know how anyone could decide that.

That's a cultural thing. It's highly unusual for cats to be kept indoors here, and to many people it's considered cruel. Lots of rescues won't let you take a cat unless you can show s/he will have outdoor access.
I appreciate both points of view WRT cats having outdoor access or not. In the US, PETA's stance is completely mainstream though. Hence not crazy, although I don't know how I personally feel about it.

IDK, when we had cats the neighbors complained when one of them always killed the birds they fed... it was by far his favorite pastime. The cat loved to go outside but I had to put him on a leash/tie down, he really didn't like it but he absolutely would not stay in our yard and I hated annoying the neighbors. Then he got in the bad habit of spraying... ugh reeked up the house, then the female started peeing where he sprayed. I loved my cats, but I'll never have another.

And yes the male was neutered as soon as he was old enough.

I think they carelessly juggle the most noble of all causes. Or I guess I should say, they constantly " drop the ball". And they seem to be all giggles about doing it that way.