The Pasta Lovers Thread

Even though it's not my favorite food it is one I can't stop eating! Growing up, spaghetti would be drained in a colander and rinsed. I guess they thought the starch was bad for you. When I saw on Food Network you should keep some of the pasta water before you sauce I found I did like spaghetti! Prior to that it was just a shelf food next to jarred sauce for emergency dinner.
I really only like white pasta. I tried several wheat and whole grain- I just don't find them worth eating. I love all types of whole grains, and whole grain breads, but pasta- I want white semolina.
I also dislike smooth macaroni- the kind that has little ridges is fine
I love the bronze cut pastas. Campanelle shapes, and radiatore (sp) are two of my favorites. Not a fan of angel hair.
Spaghetti is so good the day after!

Reactions: Val and Freesia
I love spaghetti, the thinner the better so angel hair and capellini are a definite yes.

I love all pasta.

I love all pasta, too. My least favorites are probably linguine and fettuccine. I usually substitute penne when I see them in recipes. I don't always cook the wider noodles properly for some reason. I do like whole wheat pasta quite a bit, but no one else in my family is a fan. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Val
I love all pasta, too. My least favorites are probably linguine and fettuccine. I usually substitute penne when I see them in recipes. I don't always cook the wider noodles properly for some reason. I do like whole wheat pasta quite a bit, but no one else in my family is a fan. :rolleyes:
Interesting, I dislike linguine as well. I don't mind fettuccine though.

We can never share a paste dinner....;)
I'm completely opposite!

How do you cook pasta?
I've learned that starting in cold water and bringing to a boil does keep it from sticking, with only one or two stirs. I used to add boiling water and always had it stick

Reactions: Freesia
You mean you add to the pasta to the cold water and then bring it to a boil? I never! :)

You mean you add to the pasta to the cold water and then bring it to a boil? I never! :)
Yes! Pour water to about an inch covering the pasta, turn up the heat and bring to boil. I found boxes of pasta that I can't remember which or what they were called, but they called for adding 3 cups cold water to the 12 oz of pasta and timing for 12 minutes. It was seemingly regular pasta, so I looked it up--
http://altonbrown.com/cold-water-method-pasta-recipe/
I've been doing that ever since, and enjoying pasta more than I ever have. I even let it soak a while before turning the heat on, stirring well

Did someone say pasta? I love, love, love pasta. :rp::tomato:

cd35aeb4212c83bcc9c07cafbbd86cc7.gif

post-884-0-15308500-1349991199.gif

Sigh, now I want pasta and I won't have any until I go shopping Tuesday.
smiley_pasta.gif

Spaghetti, shells, and ziti type noodles are my favorite. I don't like angel hair, I always overcook it and then it feels slimy.

Another unconditional pasta (well, as long at it is vegan) lover here!
Have not ever eaten a type of pasta that I did not like. Guess I am not discerning enough :D

My favourite, however, is called lasagnette or mafaldine:

Lemon%20Lasagnette.jpg

It combines a robust noodle with the capability to capture lots of sauce.

As far as the style is concerned, I am a fan of the very simple pasta alio, olio e peperoncino (only with olive oil, garlic and chili), but like most other vegan styles as well.

Very important for me is that the pasta is al dente ... not too soft!

So ... in that sense:

One thing, however, that has me thinking, is that they do not add any salt to the cooking water.
That, to me means that the pasta would have very little taste, and certainly does not add up with that I read in other recipes from Italy like this one ...

Last edited:
Is there anyone who doesn't love pasta?! It's amazing! And traditional Italian pasta is vegan - just pasta flour and water to make the dough - and olive oil is widely used instead of butter, so it's actually super easy to eat vegan in Italy. My favourite pasta dishes are all of them. I was going to name a few but then the list got huge as I remembered more things.

I have a new vegan Italian cookbook too, so there's going to be a lot of pasta in my near future.

Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
I adore pasta of every variety. My favourites: spaghetti, macaroni, rigatoni (mainly because I like the word), and flat lasagna sheets.

But sadly I have been low carbing it lately so I have been substituting with courgette noodles, carrot noodles, sauted cabbage noodles etc, or buckwheat pasta at times... I miss proper pasta...

Last edited:
Reactions: Val and Amy SF
Oh yes. I had spaghetti for my dinner last night, and the leftovers became my lunch today. I like whole-wheat pasta. But it has to be cooked properly, no 'al dente' for me.

With the shapes I'm quite traditional, I prefer spaghetti and macaroni.

I'm not crazy about store-bought tomato sauces, they are often disappointing. Lots of stir-fried vegetables go well with pasta. Perhaps a white sauce with spinach on top?

I love pasta, too! All kinds, including whole wheat, though I prefer the white pasta. I'm a big fan of ditalini, as I use it in pasta e fagiole, and orzo for soups. I love spaghetti, thick or thin, and I love linguine. My favorite way to make it is with olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and black olives. OMG, heaven. I also love it with olive oil, garlic and any sauteed green, like spinach, bok choy or Swiss chard. And of course, I love it with red sauce. I also like the various shapes, especially bow tie for cold salads or a stir-fry with just tomatoes, peppers, onions and spices. It really absorbs the dressing and sauces well. And the spiral pastas also work with dressings. Then there is the elbow macaroni or penne for mac n cheez, or cold macaroni salad with mock tuna salad. I could go on and on, lol.

It combines a robust noodle with the capability to capture lots of sauce.

As far as the style is concerned, I am a fan of the very simple pasta alio, olio e peperoncino (only with olive oil, garlic and chili), but like most other vegan styles as well.

Very important for me is that the pasta is al dente ... not too soft!
I agree. Anything else tastes overcooked and mushy.

Mmmmmmmm pasta. :drool:

One of my favourite ever meals is just really simple fresh (slightly) spicy tomato sauce with pasta and olives. So delicious. I usually have either penne, spaghetti or linguine.

Oh and also cashew sauce is amazing with pasta. Just tomatoes, cashews & herbs blended together then heated.