The Meat Paradox

That is interesting. The defense I always had was that it was natural for us to eat meat. Humans evolved to be omnivores so it wasn't hard for me to rectify my meat eating with the rest of my beliefs. At some point when I admitted I don't have to eat meat to be healthy and I could in fact be more healthy with a plant based diet I could no longer justify claiming to value compassion (for both humans and animals) and yet support animal suffering by eating meat.

Reactions: thefadedone
I agree that meat eating is linked to male identity, I would imagine male vegans get a lot more hassle than women.

It seems to me that the meat eaters I've known either consider animals (particularly farm animals) to be unworthy of compassion or that they do feel guilty but push past it because they think they need to eat meat or that they can't imagine cutting it out from their diet.

A woman on a forum was saying recently that she rears animals on a smallholding as she wants to make sure she is eating meat that had a "happy" life but she said she tries to emotionally distance herself from the animals in the weeks before they go to be slaughtered. I think she must downplay the animal's death by reasoning that she is making sure they had a good existence beforehand.

I agree that meat eating is linked to male identity, I would imagine male vegans get a lot more hassle than women.

Purely in my personal experience; M'kiddies and the veg*an ladies in my life seem to have been hassled far more than me.

To the degree that omnis are all about preying on the 'weak and defenceless' that makes some sense, if you think it about it ...

Their bravado being directly proportional to how safe they feel against retaliatory action from their 'victims' kinda thing?

Might be a different experience for vegan males who haven't mastered the "I won't eat that but I will eat you" glint in their eye.

I'm putting this in a seperate post so it can be deleted easily if it is too far over the top ...

In the film 'Layer Cake' the character 'Crazy Larry' is called a 'poof' because he likes bonking (not the actual word used) men.

Crazy Larry delivers the immortal line "Bonking girls is for poofs" in response.

Sole point there being this;

Larry's concept that conventional prey is beneath the dignity of REAL men, that REAL men prey upon predators not upon prey, provides an interesting twist on the whole masculinity thing.

That is interesting. The defense I always had was that it was natural for us to eat meat. Humans evolved to be omnivores so it wasn't hard for me to rectify my meat eating with the rest of my beliefs. At some point when I admitted I don't have to eat meat to be healthy and I could in fact be more healthy with a plant based diet I could no longer justify claiming to value compassion (for both humans and animals) and yet support animal suffering by eating meat.

One of the worst things about being vegan has yet to happen to you, Treenuts.

That thing being the sheer humiliation of reading the 'dum-bassed things omni's say' threads and realising that you use to say every single one.

Personaly I just paint my head red so people can't tell when I blush.