The iPhone 5

I wasn't interested until it was confirmed to have 1gb of RAM. But, I'm in the "s cycle." (I had the 3gs, now I have the 4s, and will be eligible for the full upgrade discount for next year's 5s.)

I'll get all the software features when iOS 6 drops next week, anyway.

Anyone who really wants an iPhone but doesn't want to pay $200+, the iPhone 4 will be free with a new 2-yr contract and the 4s will be $99. You'll just be on the hook for the data plan.

:)
I wasn't interested until it was confirmed to have 1gb of RAM. But, I'm in the "s cycle." (I had the 3gs, now I have the 4s, and will be eligible for the full upgrade discount for next year's 5s.)

I'll get all the software features when iOS 6 drops next week, anyway.

Anyone who really wants an iPhone but doesn't want to pay $200+, the iPhone 4 will be free with a new 2-yr contract and the 4s will be $99. You'll just be on the hook for the data plan.
The regular Apple chargers don't fit the iPhone 5, and the new ones are $40.

:)
The regular Apple chargers don't fit the iPhone 5, and the new ones are $40.

?

The older models come with the old charger, and the new iPhone will come with the new charger. There is also a 30-pin to Lightening adapter to use with accessories that have the old 30-pin connection (like my alarm clock).

I've heard that some phones now don't come packaged with charging cables, but the iPhone does.

I have not seen not read anything about it yet. Shall do later when on a computer. :)

But I'm 99% sure to get the iPhone 5 when the contract for this one runs out in February.

The iPhone 5 takes a smaller charger, I think it is 8 pronged, to enable the phone to be smaller. My daughter's friend got the iPhone 5 and was annoyed that none of his old iPhone/ipad chargers fit, and he has to pay $40 to get the new size charger.

The iPhone 5 takes a smaller charger, I think it is 8 pronged, to enable the phone to be smaller. My daughter's friend got the iPhone 5 and was annoyed that none of his old iPhone/ipad chargers fit, and he has to pay $40 to get the new size charger.

You only have to buy a new charger if you need more than one, though. There is one packaged with the phone already.

There is an adapter available for $29 that can be used with the old 30-pin charger and charging accessories.

Boyfriend is apple obsessed and it tends to work out well for me and his family.

First he got the iPod touch.

Then he got the iPhone 3GS and I got his iPod touch.

Then he got the iPhone 4 and also bought me an iPhone 4 and his sister got his 3GS and my brother got his iPod touch.

Then he got the iPad.

Then he got the iPad 2 and his mum got the iPad.

Then he got the iPhone 4s and his sister got the iPhone 4.

Then he got the iPad 3 and I got the iPad 2.

And now I am excited because in about a week's time boyfriend is going to get the iPhone 5... I will get his 4s... And his dad will get my 4 lol!!!

He has had so much apple kit and literally everyone in his family plus me and my brother have benefited as he never sells or trades things in. I might get a chance of the 5 once the 5s comes out lol.

A new charger is VERY annoying! One of the great things so far about all the iPhones and iPads is that they take the same charger.

Reactions: hungryraccoon

This is certainly going to annoy a lot of people who already own older iPhone or an iPad, but I don't own either. If I get the new iPhone, this would be my first smartphone. So it doesn't bother me that it requires a new charger.

You only have to buy a new charger if you need more than one, though. There is one packaged with the phone already.

There is an adapter available for $29 that can be used with the old 30-pin charger and charging accessories.
Oh, I will see if he knows about the adaptor, thank you. I think he bought the car charger, or maybe he wanted a second wall charger, I'm not sure. Would the new phone fit into those little stereos you can rest them in, I wonder?

It is a gorgeous phone, btw. Light as a feather. :)

Oh, I will see if he knows about the adaptor, thank you. I think he bought the car charger, or maybe he wanted a second wall charger, I'm not sure. Would the new phone fit into those little stereos you can rest them in, I wonder?

It is a gorgeous phone, btw. Light as a feather. :)

I think he'll need the adapter to use with a stereo dock. My alarm clock has the old connector, so when I upgrade to the 5s I'll need to either buy the adapter or a new clock.

To have multiple charging cables for the new iPhone without spending a ton of money, you just need one adapter. It will fit on all the old chargers, then just move it around where you need it. Not as convenient, but also not $40 for each new charger.

I bet this is going to be really irritating to companies that make stereo docks and such. Since the 4/4s are still being sold, they'll have to make models for both charging options.

True, with the adaptor it wouldn't really make much difference at all. The phone is so thin, they just needed a smaller port I guess. :)

One of the things I love about apple is the same charger works for all the ipods, touches, ipads, phones, etc. And all the ipods and phones can work with the same accessories. But, with adapters, the inconvenience level shouldn't be too high.

don't know about the other carriers, but AT&T is waiving all upgrade waiting periods and contract termination fees for anyone wanting an iPhone5 now! and at the regular prices of $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB with a new 2 year contract. not sure if they're offering this at the stores, but they sure are over the phone.

also, funny iPhone5 parody ad:

don't know about the other carriers, but AT&T is waiving all upgrade waiting periods and contract termination fees for anyone wanting an iPhone5 now! and at the regular prices of $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB with a new 2 year contract. not sure if they're offering this at the stores, but they sure are over the phone.

They aren't for me. :(

That's great for anyone who has AT&T, but I have Verizon, and I plan to stick with Verizon as I have very little unpleasant experience with them.