Simplest defence of Veganism

Graeme M

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
After my post about activists and criticism (ala the Piers Morgan piece), I have been thinking about my comments, various videos I have been watching and just how veganism deals with these criticisms and I wanted a simple way to explain veganism and rebut criticism. Now this is primarily a self-indulgent exercise - I get that veganism is already defined. But what I wanted was a simple explanation to use to defuse any possible criticism. I think I have found it.

First though, I want to say I am referring to veganism as an ethical stance. And as such, it is very very unlikely that vegans have uncovered some new take on ethics. All that is really being asked is that we extend our circle of compassion to include other species when we can. All the ethics have already been thought of.

So, here is my simplest possible explanation:

Veganism is the idea that we treat other (sentient) species according to the ethical principles behind Articles 3-5 of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Vegans believe we owe a moral obligation to other species to respect their rights to their own lives, not be enslaved and not be subjected to cruel or degrading treatment or torture, whenever we can.

That's it.

This helpfully explains pretty much everything there is to explain and defuses nearly every criticism I can think of.

Here, for clarification, are the three articles I refer to:

Article 3
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 4
No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.

Article 5
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

A couple of examples of why this explanation helps to defuse some typical criticisms.

Consider the problem of deaths in farming and cropping. Animal farming transgresses all three principles above, therefore we should not farm animals whenever circumstances permit. Plant farming on the other hand might transgress just one of these principles, that of not subjecting other species to cruel treatment (such as when managing pests). However as with humans, we may kill other animals when we have no other choice, for example in self-defence. Pest animals threaten our well-being and may not be reasoned with, so we are within our rights to kill them. It is a lesser ethical failure to grow crops and kill pest animals than to farm animals. Of course, we still have an ethical duty to manage pests judiciously to minimise harm to both their species and the environment.

It is interesting to note that on this view, we are not placed in the position of having to defend the degree of harm in crop farming compared to animal farming. Our ethical concern in regard to animal farming emerges from its failure to observe the three principles behind Articles 3-5. We might be able to make farming relatively cruelty free, but we cannot make the animals free or unexploited. Therefore whether or not we can minimise harm in farming is not relevant. That remains, as it always has been, a welfare issue unrelated to our primary ethical concern.

This approach also explains the difference between people who support veganism ("vegans") and those who advocate for animal rights. Unlike human rights, animal rights are not yet protected by law. Because of this, vegans behave as though these rights are protected by law while while animal rights advocates also agitate to have these rights protected at law.

Reactions: vesper818
I am sure there is a better place for me to put this video however has @Graeme M has put a lot of thought into his post and I heard a very interesting and different point of view from Neil deGrasse Tyson on Stephen Colbert, the other night - I am not sure how I feel about what he said but he sure does bring up some interesting points which IMO do not negate the importance of veganism or vegetarianism however it does expand my thought process...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Entertaining videos but he helped reinforce my stance on veganism, which he said could happen. He sounds a little too flippant for me to take seriously. But a very thought provoking funny guy.

Reactions: Emma JC
He also doesn't address the horror of factory farming. I'd almost rather him say, let's all raise our own meat, dairy cows, give them love and hugs and kisses so that they have the best possible life, until we need to kill them for food. Then kill them as quickly and humanely as possible while thanking them for their service. 😳

He neglects to address so many issues. I like the second video.