The Grammar/Punctuation Thread

Thanks for your input, Katrina! :)

I like the revised sentence about the extended forecast.

And I like run-on-sentence but I’m not sure about the em dash. I think that’s where I use my ... but I would only use ... for very informal communication, like texting or emailing to friends and posting here...of course. Lol

Reactions: Val
re: Oxford comma, whether you use it or not depends on what style you're using eg: AP, Chicago, MLA, APA

I use AP Style for my job, and we use the Oxford comma unless a client asks us not to for a particular project.

And even though I edit for a living, I still make mistakes while writing stuff here... I don't wanna always think about punctuation!! haha.
Same here! :D Whenever online friends find out what I do, they get all nervous and worry about making mistakes. I'm like, Hey, it's casual, and I'm off the clock. :D

I think you all need to get out more!
We only need to concern ourselves about punctuation and grammar when it is helpful to the reader. Innit?!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the ellipsis (...). And I've largely misunderstood what that "..." means! From googling "Ellipsis":

el·lip·sis
/əˈlipsis/
noun
  1. the omission from speech or writing of a word or words that are superfluous or able to be understood from contextual clues.
    • a set of dots indicating an ellipsis

I always sort of thought that it meant a sort of "trailing off" of what you were saying/writing, instead of ending a sentence with a period. I did know that it often indicates that you're only using part of a quote instead of the entire original text. I use it that way all the time on-line (like just now, with Karen's post above). But now I think I've been doing it wrong.

(Edited because part of my original post was redundant, and already addressed in one of KLS52's examples.)

Thanks Tom...I didn’t know there was a word for it!