The Fitbit Thread

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Discussion thread for anyone here who uses a Fitbit. I know @KLS52 has one. Does anyone else?

First and foremost, I’ve only been using one for two days and I like it so far. But the Active Minutes tracker remains at 0, even though it’s supposed to start at 30 minutes. I can’t figure out how to get it to track minutes. Anyone have any suggestions?

Amy, have you activated the active minutes tracker by setting a target?

I like mine (Fitbit charge II HR) so far, have been using it for about 6 months.

Hi Amy, I have a Fitbit Charge HR. I love the thing. I don't remember how it exactly tracks activity minutes, but it might have something to do with heart rate. I notice that I only get active minutes if I do a workout, when my heart rate is more elevated than, say, walking to the ladies room at work.

I also have the Charge II. My activity is set for 30 minutes (in my app). So I think it records only when I go for my walks for 30 minutes or more. I’ll pay more attention and see. I also have mine set for me to do 250 steps an hour. So it tells me to get up when it’s nearing the hour and I still need steps to reach my 250/hour goal.

Yeah, mine is set the same way. It did dawn on me after I posted the above that I have to do continuous intense activity for the activity minutes tracker to register. This is only my second full day of using it, and I haven’t done anything resembling a continuous intense workout yet.

It’s ok to start out small. :) You can set it for ten minutes! And when you do your group activity/exercise it will definitely register for you. :)

I just reset mine to ten minutes because I’m a slug when I’m not working and today is definitely couch potato day. I’m forcing myself to go up and down the stairs. So far I’ve done 13 flights.

Reactions: PTree15
Anyone have a cheap knockoff? One that also registers heart rate?

I have the low end Zip model of the Fitbit which is a very basic step counter. It is small and clips to your belt or pocket and is very unobtrusive. I wear it all the time!

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
I have the low end Zip model of the Fitbit which is a very basic step counter. It is small and clips to your belt or pocket and is very unobtrusive. I wear it all the time!
My mom has that one and she loves it.

I like how my Fitbit tracks my sleep along with other things so I can see how much sleep I’m getting. It ain’t good. :( (Another New Year’s resolution to work on)

Anyone have a cheap knockoff? One that also registers heart rate?
I'd also be interested in this!
I want a Fitbit but dont want to spend £100 on it. All the reviews of the cheap knockoffs are terrible, so I dont want to waste money on one then end up buying a fitbit anyway haha.

I use my phone (a Samsung Galaxy). It has a built in step tracker and an app called Samsung Health. itll do but is nowhere near as sophisticated. The step counter seems fairly accurate but I dont have my phone in my pocket when I'm at work so it's always out.

Waaah I might treat myself to an Alta HR when I next get paid. theyre currently in John Lewis for £99 which for that model is pretty good.

I'd also be interested in this!
I want a Fitbit but dont want to spend £100 on it. All the reviews of the cheap knockoffs are terrible, so I dont want to waste money on one then end up buying a fitbit anyway haha.

I use my phone (a Samsung Galaxy). It has a built in step tracker and an app called Samsung Health. itll do but is nowhere near as sophisticated. The step counter seems fairly accurate but I dont have my phone in my pocket when I'm at work so it's always out.

Waaah I might treat myself to an Alta HR when I next get paid. theyre currently in John Lewis for £99 which for that model is pretty good.

I honestly think you should invest in the real thing instead of a cheap knockoff. You’ll pay more, but you’ll know what you get. Even though the Fitbit is supposedly less than accurate, I think the cheaper ones could be even less accurate.

The band broke on my fitbit and I was quite annoyed. I bought a new one on Amazon...it’s magnetic and turns out it’s very cool, more comfortable and easy to get on off. I was concerned the magnet wouldn’t hold but it hasn’t slipped open/loosened once. I like it.

Reactions: Andy_T and Amy SF
The band broke on my fitbit and I was quite annoyed. I bought a new one on Amazon...it’s magnetic and turns out it’s very cool, more comfortable and easy to get on off. I was concerned the magnet wouldn’t hold but it hasn’t slipped open/loosened once. I like it.

Picture or it didn’t happen!

I have a FitBit Charge 2 that I bought last year. I don't wear it any more. I learned a few things when I did wear it. I learned that whenever I take my 3 mile walk I go over my steps for the day and when I don't, I have a hard time making it to 10500. I learned I always go way over on floors as I live in a three story house and all three floors have high ceilings. And I learned that it doesn't think I get enough "intense" exercise on a regular basis. And while there is some motivation to move a bit more I suppose, when I know I'm not going to get in any exercise I tend to take the silly thing off rather than record a bad day. :p

Last edited:
Thanks! I’m happy with it. It’s more comfortable than the band it came with and easier because it opens enough to slide on and off.

Reactions: Amy SF
Okay, so I’m wondering how I should set the daily goal for calories burned. I set it at 2,000, but I’m not sure if that’s a good goal. Does anyone have any idea what a good daily goal for calories burned should be?