The Fitbit Thread

For me, the goal is to not consume more calories than I burn, lol. :)

I don’t burn 2000 unless I hit my 10000 steps. That only happens 3-4 times a week during the winter months. I have to keep my calorie intake under 1500 if I want to maintain, less when I need to lose.

Everyone is different, obviously.

I bought an Alta in the end. It turns out the "Heart rate" bit just makes it bulkier and I dont really care about my heart rate haha. I got the limited edition one that's black with gold, very snazzy.

And sorry I'm not sure Amy. It all depends on how much weight you want to lose (if that's your goal). I found this: Calorie Calculator which you can use to work it out if that's any help.

A random feature I didnt realise existed is the alarm feature. I LOVE it. Turns out that having my wrist vibrate is a lot better at waking me up compared to a sound alarm.

I love the silent alarm feature. I use it often to remind me of all kinds of things throughout the day. Sadly, I’m such a poor sleeper...I never need an alarm to wake me up.

My replacement Fitbit still has charging issues. I don't remember whether I shared my Fitbit saga here or not, but suffice it to say, it crapped out charging-wise. The replacement isn't much better. I think I might get a Garmin one at some point. My sister has one and really likes it. But if I do that, I lose all my Fitbit info, I guess. I have it on today. I never bother with the sleep monitoring, especially the part about moving. The one time I tracked sleep, it said I moved 18 times in the night, hehe.

For me, the goal is to not consume more calories than I burn, lol. :)

I don’t burn 2000 unless I hit my 10000 steps. That only happens 3-4 times a week during the winter months. I have to keep my calorie intake under 1500 if I want to maintain, less when I need to lose.

Everyone is different, obviously.
Same for me on calories. If I go over 1,500 consistently, I start to gain.

Same for me on calories. If I go over 1,500 consistently, I start to gain.
That’s actually a little comforting to hear, especially since I feel like you lead a more active life, generally speaking.

I will definitely get a walk in both days, this weekend. I’m trying to decide if I should go now (it’s almost 7 a.m. but only 32 degrees) or wait until after lunch when it should reach the low 50’s. My only problem with waiting, and I could never figure this out, is I have so much more stamina first thing int he morning...before breakfast, even. I don’t know why it starts to decline so quickly, and why walking on an almost completely empty stomach works for me. It’s very weird. Even if I wait 2-3 hours after I eat, I still seem to have issues with any kind of exercise. It’s like, if it isn’t first thing in the morning, then it’s not going to happen.

That’s actually a little comforting to hear, especially since I feel like you lead a more active life, generally speaking.

I will definitely get a walk in both days, this weekend. I’m trying to decide if I should go now (it’s almost 7 a.m. but only 32 degrees) or wait until after lunch when it should reach the low 50’s. My only problem with waiting, and I could never figure this out, is I have so much more stamina first thing int he morning...before breakfast, even. I don’t know why it starts to decline so quickly, and why walking on an almost completely empty stomach works for me. It’s very weird. Even if I wait 2-3 hours after I eat, I still seem to have issues with any kind of exercise. It’s like, if it isn’t first thing in the morning, then it’s not going to happen.
Yeah, I always want to know who those people are who can have 2,000 a day while exercising and not gain. When I'm in full cardio mode, I can eat maybe 1,650 and maintain, but if I want to lose, I have stay under 1,500. I am in full cardio mode at the moment, but I want to lose about 8 pounds, so I'm cutting back on the portions/calories (save for last night, during which I sampled some tasty brews with friends, hehe; I was fairly responsible with the day's eating, though).

I, too, am way more productive exercise-wise before the day gets going. Even when I worked nights, I always exercised before my workday began. I think for me it's more psychological than anything else. When I come home from work, I want to chill, not get all pumped up. :D My sister is the opposite; she'd much rather exercise after work. I can't eat anything before a workout, either, because it bothers my stomach. If I am really ravenous in the morning (which is rare), I'll eat a few crackers with a dribble of peanut butter. Any more than that and I'm burping afterward. :D

Reactions: KLS52
My wife's niece went to Shanghai and got the Xiaomi Mi Band II for my kids, as they are using Xiaomi Android phones, but the application that comes with it does not seem to have as many features as the FitBit. So while you might be able to save some money on the Xiaomi, IMO the app makes quite a difference.

Those Xiaomi trackers do look like very good value.
What I like about them is that the bracelet (silicone bracelet where the whole "watch" just snaps in) seems more solid than tha crappy FitBit bracelet, but then, we only had them for a very short time.
What I do not like so much is that the screen on the Xiaomi (Band II, there is now also a Band III out) is smaller and displays less information. And, comparing the features of the Xiaomi App, while I can not quite put a finger on it, a lot of information seems to be missing. Maybe I need to look into it more.

Reactions: Val
The band broke on my fitbit and I was quite annoyed. I bought a new one on Amazon...it’s magnetic and turns out it’s very cool, more comfortable and easy to get on off.

I have now also received the replacement metal band from Amazon, and it is totally awesome :)

To be precise, it was totally awesome for about 10 minutes ... then my wife saw it.o_O
Luckily for me, there was also a second replacement silicone band in the package, which is what I am using now....