US The Everything Thanksgiving Thread

This looks amazing but too much work for my lazy butt. I could try and simplify it which usually means it not coming out as good as it should, but then again, it’s all good ingredients so maybe it’s hard to ruin. We shall have to wait and see. Maybe once my kitchen is completed I will have a sudden surge of ambition. I still have a lot of things out of place so cooking has been very basic of late. I just love the look of this.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
This looks amazing but too much work for my lazy butt. I could try and simplify it which usually means it not coming out as good as it should, but then again, it’s all good ingredients so maybe it’s hard to ruin. We shall have to wait and see. Maybe once my kitchen is completed I will have a sudden surge of ambition. I still have a lot of things out of place so cooking has been very basic of late. I just love the look of this.

Yes, that's what I usually do. I never follow recipes. :D

You have to be creative when you cook and recipes always seem to make things complicated.:D

Another kitchen remodel! Whatcha doing?
I haven't even started painting mine, even after ripping off wallpaper :confused:

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
I thought the Tofurky roast was vile. Sadly I had made it for my first vegetarian thanksgiving in 2004 and it made an awful impression on the family. They still make fun of me for it. 😁
Gardein was good. I don’t recall if I tried the Field Roast.
Nut roasts are the way to go for me now. With stuffing and gravy it will always be my go to holiday dish.
Yes on the nut roasts! They are my new holiday favorite, and I'll be making one for Thanksgiving. And since I'll be the only one eating it, I'm sure I can freeze enough for Christmas. :D

I've never tried any of the prepared roasts. I think the price put me off one of them, though I forget which one it was. I think it was over $20!

I haven't even started painting mine, even after ripping off wallpaper :confused:
What do you mean by another? It’s the same one. It’s just taking forever lol.

In my previous house we went five years with disgusting walls where we had ripped off the wallpaper and never did anything after that. 🤦‍♀️

Didn't you do your last houses kitchen?
Oh that lol. We painted the cabinets and put linoleum down to make it more presentable to sell. It worked!
For this house we replaced the cabinets with stock cabinets from Home Depot and got a new countertop. Just waiting for the backsplash. I would love a new floor but reno funds are almost gone. We still have a little more to do on the bathroom downstairs. That’s a priority.

I liked that Gardein roast but haven't been able to find it for a couple of years. Last year I didn't even have my own personal Thanksgiving though I have in the past. I don't know if I will this year or not yet. I guess I should decide soon!

• Friendly
Even before I became vegan, Thanksgiving was my least favorite holiday (by a wide margin). Now I sort of hate it. So I am sort of glad that with Corona I have a good excuse not to sit down at a table and watch people eat turkey.

BTW, 50 million turkeys have been killed for Thanksgiving.

I got myself a Field Roast Holiday Roast, and the fixings for gravy, stuffing, and a green bean casserole.
will meet up with some family and friends that evening for a Zoom conference.

Has anyone had these from Whole Foods? Gardein Holiday Roast
I was thinking about making for Thanksgiving possibly...

View attachment 22852
Last year (or was it the year before) I did my own little personal Holiday Roast competition. I had the Tofurkey, the Field Roast, and the Gardein. the Gardein won.
but i screwed up the prep on the Field Roast (beer was involved). and the Gardein was the only one that came with gravy. I didn't make gravy for the others.
This year I just bought the field roast. and I will make some gravy and stuffing. It won't be head-to-head like last time but I'll let you know.
the stuffing and gravy in the Gardein put it ahead right off.

Nobody has mentioned TJ's holiday roast. :)

Shoot, i didn't know that TJs had one. I would have gotten it. I was just there.
Maybe for Xmas.

I did a taste test with just three of these and IMHO the Gardein one.
However, just like the authors, I overcooked the Field Roast Celebration Roast Stuffed with Butternut Squash, Apples & Mushrooms.

I Probably overcooked it worse. I blame the beer and football game.

Last edited:
  • Haha

These shop made roasts are very pricy and with a little imagination and some good recipes, it would be very
easy to duplicate them.
Nut roasts can be tweaked by choosing nuts that have a milder taste and adding other ingredients such as lentils,
veggie mince or minced seitan.
I always make a nut roast dinner and even omnis love it. I think that it's all the side dishes that make it hard work ; roast potatoes,
roast parsnips, brussels, roast carrots and homemade gravy plus cranberry compote/sauce. :grinning:
I did something similar.

These shop made roasts are very pricy and with a little imagination and some good recipes, it would be very
easy to duplicate them.
Nut roasts can be tweaked by choosing nuts that have a milder taste and adding other ingredients such as lentils,
veggie mince or minced seitan.
I always make a nut roast dinner and even omnis love it. I think that it's all the side dishes that make it hard work ; roast potatoes,
roast parsnips, brussels, roast carrots and homemade gravy plus cranberry compote/sauce. :grinning:
I did a taste test with just three of these and IMHO the Gardein won.
However, just like the authors, I overcooked the Field Roast Celebration Roast Stuffed with Butternut Squash, Apples & Mushrooms.

I probably overcooked it worse. I blame the beer and football game.

Last edited:
I can't remember what roasts I've had, but I wasn't a fan of any, except the gravy in one, it was so perfectly seasoned!
I'll be making my usual tofu-seitan "Scarborough Faire" :laughing: :rofl:
Stuffing with mushrooms, water chestnuts, onions, celery, walnuts, and dried cranberries
Cranberry sauce with only white sugar and water
corn of course, but maybe that corn pudding I tried a bit ago.....
Pecan sandies cookies

@silva I’m dying to try that roast but I probably won’t get to do it for tomorrow. My vital wheat gluten is past the expiration date and I probably won’t go out to get more right now. Maybe I’ll try it after thanksgiving to see if I can get it right then I can make it for Christmas.

@silva I’m dying to try that roast but I probably won’t get to do it for tomorrow. My vital wheat gluten is past the expiration date and I probably won’t go out to get more right now. Maybe I’ll try it after thanksgiving to see if I can get it right then I can make it for Christmas.
I'm sure your vwg is fine!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I saw Tofurky celebration ham roast, and was curious. I just made one, and while it tastes like what I'd think of as "ham", I would have liked to compare.It certainly isn't my favorite seitan!

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15