Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Americans may find this feed useful.

Each Friday the total number of Americans killed by Covid 19 is updated.

Each Friday the number of Americans killed in the last week by Covid 19 is posted.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
Stepdaughter has Covid AGAIN. Her husband has it too. Symptoms are fairly mild...runny nose, mild cough but fatigue is bad.
I hope she recovers quickly!

We have two friends at the beach with COVID, a 93-year-old woman and her daughter. The mom likely caught it at the hospital ER, and her daughter takes care of her, so she ended up getting it. The mom wouldn't wear a mask, either, so that didn't help her daughter, who wore just a surgical mask. She really needed an N95. My mom was with the mom the night before the mom had symptoms, for about 20 minutes, but so far no issues for any of us. Needless to say, we are staying clear of them. We've been dropping off food for them every few days and doing some light shopping for them as they can't go out to the store.

I have largely ditched the mask for outdoors, restaurants and places that aren't too crowded, but I still will wear one for indoor concerts (I have a few coming up this fall) and on a plane (I have two trips planned for some of those concerts). I'm sort of half and half with the grocery store. If it's super crowded, I'll wear one.

I wore a mask for about a week after my bronchoscopy/biopsy but I have not worn one since. I think I would definitely wear one if I were to take any type of public transportation. But it’s not likely I would be doing that so it’s a non issue. If I were to go to the doctor not feeling well, I would wear one.

I'm wearing my mask only on public transport at the moment as I am able to keep a distance in shops. I keep a small bottle of hand disinfectant with me wherever I go.
Hand sanitizer is the one thing I still use daily. I keep it in my car/purse.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
strangely enough it is the one thing that I didn't/don't use - other than at the start when you had to when going into a store

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I think it’s just habit and I feel like it helps more with germs in general than it does for covid. And I think I just feel “ick” when I touch something that someone else touches, especially the grocery carts. I always sanitize them before I use them…not so much for germs but because I imagine kids sitting in the seats and God only knows where those little hands/fingers have been. Plus, diapers, lol. I definitely have some issues. I’m more concerned with icky stuff that comes out of humans, adult or otherwise, than I am about germs in general.

I wanted to use the word “skeeve, aka schkeeve” but I’m not sure of the spelling or if everyone is familiar with it, lol. 😂

Reactions: Emma JC
Haha found it…my Italian upbringing. 😁

Etymology
probably from skeeve "to disgust, be disgusted by" (borrowed from the stem of Italian schifare "to loathe, feel disgust for," earlier "to shun, avoid," borrowed from Old French eschiver) + -Y entry 1 — more at ESCHEW

NOTE: The -v- in skeeve may reflect lax consonant articulation in southern Italian dialects, perceived as voicing by non-dialect speakers.

Haha found it…my Italian upbringing. 😁

Etymology
probably from skeeve "to disgust, be disgusted by" (borrowed from the stem of Italian schifare "to loathe, feel disgust for," earlier "to shun, avoid," borrowed from Old French eschiver) + -Y entry 1 — more at ESCHEW

NOTE: The -v- in skeeve may reflect lax consonant articulation in southern Italian dialects, perceived as voicing by non-dialect speakers.
My sons both used "skeeved", "skeeved out" growing up and I still sometimes use it-nobody Italian here!

Reactions: KLS52
The car rental place uses covid as why they don't do pick up service--even though their website and corporate number assure you they do 🙄
and why so many people can still work from home, even though they clearly do not "work" from home. At least not in my buy/planners case :shrug:

Had a great day today...toured the thimble islands. My neighbor, who drove us, just texted to say she's sick...101 fever. Covid. 🤦‍♀️
Wow! The same day? Did she seem ok when you went?
Any prophylatics? swallow some raw garlic, rinse with salt water, oil of oregano...... :shrug: Eh, may as well try :heart:
Have any tests?

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Wow! The same day? Did she seem ok when you went?
Any prophylatics? swallow some raw garlic, rinse with salt water, oil of oregano...... :shrug: Eh, may as well try :heart:
Have any tests?
If she didn't feel well she didn't let on. She seemed perfectly fine. She said it came on two hours after we got home.

I've been gargling with listerine the last few weeks. I do have a few tests. I'm going to wait until morning since I feel fine. No sense wasting it. It's not like I'll be doing anything other than going to bed anyway. I'm exhausted but I've been exhausted for a few months now.

We went out with a couple we know Saturday night and I just found out the woman has Covid. I was talking to her quite a bit that night, but me and my husband both feel fine. I'm wondering whether to take some paracetamol tonight before bed as a precaution.🤔 The man she went out with on Friday night has Covid too.

@KLS52 @Raven I hope you guys avoid it! I heard a news report the other day that COVID cases in Massachusetts are triple what they were a month ago. Mass. seems to be following a national trend in the U.S. The report mentioned that some infectious disease experts are predicting a September surge. I may start wearing the mask more often. We'll see.

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
So far so good! I felt really sick Saturday and again today but I've been testing every day and it's still negative. Whatever I'm feeling is not Covid so I'm happy.

I'm going to test again tomorrow because I'm walking with the seniors and offered to pick up a woman I just met. Then I'll test again Thursday because I'm going out with my daughter and grandkids. I don't want to be passing anything to them especially since school starts next week.

We are both still feeling okay so we must have escaped it. The bar we met them in Saturday night was luckily outside by the river and it was quite breezy so there was probably enough air circulating. We both took paracetamol last night and we just had some vitamin water this morning as it can't hurt. I just texted the husband of the woman with Covid to see if it is a mild case for her.

So far so good! I felt really sick Saturday and again today but I've been testing every day and it's still negative. Whatever I'm feeling is not Covid so I'm happy.

I'm going to test again tomorrow because I'm walking with the seniors and offered to pick up a woman I just met. Then I'll test again Thursday because I'm going out with my daughter and grandkids. I don't want to be passing anything to them especially since school starts next week.
Careful, as it can take some time before the test detects it! I seem to remember that was the case for me, at least.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52