Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I'm losing track. I just looked back on this forum. I had my Covid jabs on March 2021, June 2021, December 2021 and October 2022.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
I have had only the first 2. But I have had Covid twice and it was less severe than flu (by a long way).
I think I will be leaving it for now. I had flu 2 weeks ago and that was horrible (tested negative for Covid).

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I have had only the first 2. But I have had Covid twice and it was less severe than flu (by a long way).
I think I will be leaving it for now. I had flu 2 weeks ago and that was horrible (tested negative for Covid).
Last summer I had what seemed to be an absurdly mild cold. It fit the description of the strain of covid that was around at that time but I stupidly didn't get it tested. I don't know if differing strains will remain so weak but if they do, then I would rather have covid than flu.

Last summer I had what seemed to be an absurdly mild cold. It fit the description of the strain of covid that was around at that time but I stupidly didn't get it tested. I don't know if differing strains will remain so weak but if they do, then I would rather have covid than flu.
I might be teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs, but it's an evolutionary advantage for a virus to be "weak". Why we have the common cold of course.
They aren't successful if they kill the host :)

And these days, you can get those self test kits at home and check within 10 mins. For some reason people are still more scared of it (although of course it could be worse and worse with age as it appeared to be in the beginning).

Of course this thread got me thinking.
Covid-19 is just a warning.

Continued industrialised farming techniques with animals are a potential existential threat to humanity.

Imagine an air-borne, highly infectious strain of Ebola or Avian influenza which have > 50% fatality rate.

Happy Wednesday!

• Agree
Reactions: Kathy Lauren
how are you all today?
Myself and Mrs Summer are still testing negative, and her unwellness from the other night has also gone away. Our daughter is isolating in her room but she still only has very mild symptoms. So, it's looking like we've been lucky all things considered.

Thanks for checking on us! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Brian W
Of course this thread got me thinking.
Covid-19 is just a warning.

Continued industrialised farming techniques with animals are a potential existential threat to humanity.

Imagine an air-borne, highly infectious strain of Ebola or Avian influenza which have > 50% fatality rate.

Happy Wednesday!
I don't think that is true. I think both of those are under 40%. Probably not worth quibing about.

I don't think that is true. I think both of those are under 40%. Probably not worth quibing about.
The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks.

Globally, from January 2003 to 26 January 2023, there have been 868 cases of human infection with avian
influenza A(H5N1) virus reported from 21 countries. Of these 868 cases, 457 were fatal (CFR of 53%)

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W and Lou
It's still out there. My oldest daughter gave a ride to a friend yesterday, whose elderly parents (87 yrs old) both have it. The mom was hospitalized for two days but is home now. Both are on the mend. My daughter was a little annoyed because when the friend got in my daughter's car she was visibly sick with chills and cold symptoms but said she had tested negative. My daughter felt like the friend should have given her a heads up that she wasn't feeling well before making plans to go out.

Anyway, the friend tested positive later that day and now my daughter has cold or possibly allergy symptoms. We're hoping for the best and rooting for allergies. Daughter didn't hang out with the friend when they got to the destination just to play it safe. But did have to drive friend home afterward.

It's still out there.
Yeah. One of my sister's friends came down with it. She is pretty careful and doesn't know anyone with it - so how she got it remains a mystery.
My iPhone just told me last that they don't do the close contact notifications anymore, too.

I think the vocabulary word is Endemic. as opposed to Epidemic.

I'm trying to come up with a good SAT test question.
So far all I got is Endemic is to Epidemic as......

It's still out there. My oldest daughter gave a ride to a friend yesterday, whose elderly parents (87 yrs old) both have it. The mom was hospitalized for two days but is home now. Both are on the mend. My daughter was a little annoyed because when the friend got in my daughter's car she was visibly sick with chills and cold symptoms but said she had tested negative. My daughter felt like the friend should have given her a heads up that she wasn't feeling well before making plans to go out.

Anyway, the friend tested positive later that day and now my daughter has cold or possibly allergy symptoms. We're hoping for the best and rooting for allergies. Daughter didn't hang out with the friend when they got to the destination just to play it safe. But did have to drive friend home afterward.
Damn, that's annoying.
I also know some people who meet friends and go to the swimming hall when they are sick. Some don't even test if they have Covid or not. I don't really get it. But it doesn't make a difference if I say something to that, because they never listen at all.
And like, it could be asymptomatic as well, so... Idk.
But still, it would be common courtesy to not go around knowingly infecting everyone else.