Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I was wondering whether anybody else also claps for the health/key workers. In the UK it's every Thursday at 8 pm.

Over here apparently it's every evening at 8 pm except for the fact that nobody does it in my neighbourhood.

My first attempt at making the simplest form of a mask with the no-sew hair tie method. It’s quite crude but I have to say, it works very well and is pretty comfortable. It’s very thick/bulky which is probably a plus for filtering purposes, but I would like it a bit thinner. I’d like one that will fit some kind of filter. I have some medical masks that I purchased before we moved, that I used to keep dust out while I was cleaning the attic. I’d like to make a covering for one of those. I’m going to work on a few more today and see if I can’t modify it a bit.

I’m going to wear this one around the house to get used to it. I’m surprised how easily I can still breathe through it. I thought that would be an issue. But I can’t wear my glasses because they fog up, lol.

Please excuse the bed-head hair and dark circles under the eyes and wrinkles. I am sleep deprived...and old...watcha gonna do, lol.

2B6085AC-DF0D-4B6A-A990-4B6A14D572CD.jpeg

I tried that and yes, really thick and hot!
I had a tiny sewing machine I'd got at Aldi some time back I thought I could use to make pillow covers. First time I took it out of the box to make a mask.
I think it would be better to use a wide hand sewn stitch and leave a pocket for a filter to change out than the folded bandana. I weirdly never gave up a bag of vacuum bags that were left in the house when I bought it-I cut those up for the non woven filter part inside.
All I know is I want a confortable, reliable mask I can wear more.
I really really think we should all wear masks when out in public.
I can't understand how it can be said that only those with the virus need to wear masks to keep from spreading it, while also saying you can be asymptomatic and spread it, My common sense defines that as everyone needs to wear a mask.

I found the following article quite interesting :

It has been widely reported that children are less likely to get severely ill and die from the new coronavirus. A recent study of 44,672 people with confirmed covid-19 infection found that children under 10 years old made up less than 1 per cent of those cases and none of the 1023 deaths.
“This is unlike flu,” says Akiko Iwasaki at Yale University. With flu, young children and older people are usually the most severely affected, so why is the new coronavirus different? It is a bit of a mystery.

Why don't children seem to get very ill from the coronavirus?

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
What I keep reading is, don’t wear the mask if you’re not sick and wearing it is going to cause you to touch your face more by trying to ‘adjust’ it constantly. That could possibly be me. I see myself trying to move it around a lot, adjusting the fit. Maybe I need to make one that fits better.

I saw a video for a mask using the “sleeve” of a tshirt. You simply cut the sleeve off and and pull one side up over your nose. The “V” end hangs down over your mouth. I tucked that piece in so that it fit tight around the mouth area. But is kept sliding down my nose and I was having to pull it up a lot. In that case, I would add something like a pipe cleaner or paper clip to the inside of the “hem” so that it can be pinched to hug the nose like a real mask does.

I have a question, that I guess goes here??

If anyone in the UK knows--I was curious about Boris Johnson's approval or public perception ratings since :

1. it became public he had the virus

2. he was admitted into hospital for treatment

2b. transferred into critical care

I tried to find this out a couple of times, but obviously I haven't looked in the right places or possibly the press in the UK may have more important things to dwell on.

Thanks

I have a question, that I guess goes here??

If anyone in the UK knows--I was curious about Boris Johnson's approval or public perception ratings since :

1. it became public he had the virus

2. he was admitted into hospital for treatment

2b. transferred into critical care

I tried to find this out a couple of times, but obviously I haven't looked in the right places or possibly the press in the UK may have more important things to dwell on.

Thanks

All I can say is that he came out of ICU yesterday and is now in a standard ward. His health is improving.

I haven't read or seen anything concerning his ratings as the media only talks about covid. It would seem like all the political parties and country wish him well.

What I keep reading is, don’t wear the mask if you’re not sick and wearing it is going to cause you to touch your face more by trying to ‘adjust’ it constantly. That could possibly be me. I see myself trying to move it around a lot, adjusting the fit. Maybe I need to make one that fits better.

I saw a video for a mask using the “sleeve” of a tshirt. You simply cut the sleeve off and and pull one side up over your nose. The “V” end hangs down over your mouth. I tucked that piece in so that it fit tight around the mouth area. But is kept sliding down my nose and I was having to pull it up a lot. In that case, I would add something like a pipe cleaner or paper clip to the inside of the “hem” so that it can be pinched to hug the nose like a real mask does.
If a mask causes you to have to adjust it you should get a better fitting mask, period. A sick person wearing a mask and having to adjust it is as bad, maybe worse, then if they didn't wear a mask, as far as I can understand. If they didn't wear a mask, but didn't touch their face, and kept their hands clean, distance would provide a good time frame for the virus to dissapate in the air. If they wore a mask, but kept on adjusting it, their hands would transfer the virus to everything they touched.
I just say get a better mask.
I ended up going to Aldi, right at opening, and glad I did. Now they're letting a number of people in at once, and I waited behind 4 people to get in, most everyone wore a mask, and it was chilly and windy so not a bad thing! A man wiped down carts before handing them to people, and you had to wait for the person in front to be done checking out before you could load your own. There were marks on the floor for spacing.,
I had left the mask I sewed at work and just tied a bananda around my head. Not a good idea!
I'll be making more with the sheet I had cut up.
I came home and decided to spray and wipe everything before putting away. Yeah, that was too stressful! If this keeps up I can only imagine people will have shelves with uv lights or something.
Really really should be talking more about good diet and exercise for good immune systems than running from germs

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
@KLS52 - you and your darn hair! I really like it. Mine is shorter layers, but mostly curls like that, and about the same colors. It's just fine! :yes:
Who has weird hair is my older son- it's tight twisted curls on the top layer only, the layer underneath is completely straight, so it needs to be either really long, or short, to prevent them from conflicting!

Last edited:
@KLS52 - you and your darn hair! I really like it. Mine is shorter layers, but mostly curls like that, and about the same colors. It's just fine! :yes:
Who has weird hair is my older son- it's tight twisted curls on the top layer only, the layer underneath is completely straight, so it needs to be either really long, or short, to prevent them from conflicting!
Lol...I know. It’s an obsession and an issue. But you don’t realize is, while it may look (just) ok in the photo, if I were go outside in humid weather, the top would tighten considerably and frizz a lot. It only looks like that because I am inside and not being subjected to the elements. :) Seriously, only five minutes is enough to do serious damage. So sure, if I never go out, I guess I have ok hair, lol. :)

My first attempt at making the simplest form of a mask with the no-sew hair tie method. It’s quite crude but I have to say, it works very well and is pretty comfortable. It’s very thick/bulky which is probably a plus for filtering purposes, but I would like it a bit thinner. I’d like one that will fit some kind of filter. I have some medical masks that I purchased before we moved, that I used to keep dust out while I was cleaning the attic. I’d like to make a covering for one of those. I’m going to work on a few more today and see if I can’t modify it a bit.

I’m going to wear this one around the house to get used to it. I’m surprised how easily I can still breathe through it. I thought that would be an issue. But I can’t wear my glasses because they fog up, lol.

Please excuse the bed-head hair and dark circles under the eyes and wrinkles. I am sleep deprived...and old...watcha gonna do, lol.

View attachment 20485
Well done!!
I have old coffee filters for a pot I no longer have. I was thinking of sticking one in between the folds of my bandana mask for extra protection.

I tried the Attorney Generals technique and I thought it really sucked. I ended up doing a different one. I don't know which youtube video it came out of but it was like a pattern with no rubber bands and the mask and the the tie thingies were all one piece. It's ok but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

The hospital gave me a bunch of paper masks and I've hard that you can keep it overnight in a paper bag and reuse them - so I think I'm just going to use those. but just for trips to the store and stuff. For just walking around the neighborhood I think I can just rely on physical distancing.

For just walking around the neighborhood I think I can just rely on physical distancing.
Yeah, until the Facemask Police come to your county. They've already started requiring masks in public in Riverside and LA Counties, I believe (Riverside I know for sure, LA County either has already or they're going to).

All I can say is that he came out of ICU yesterday and is now in a standard ward. His health is improving.

I haven't read or seen anything concerning his ratings as the media only talks about covid. It would seem like all the political parties and country wish him well.

Thank you for the response.

Another heartwarming story. It's so positive that a nearly 100 yr old man survive Covid.
I also love the fact that it is his grandson who is now looking after him.
Such a lovely man!

'Albert Chambers, a 99-year-old second world war veteran, has been discharged from hospital after recovering from Covid-19. Chambers, who will be 100 in July,
was wounded in the war and spent three years in a prison camp. He praised the treatment he had received from the NHS, saying: 'It couldn't have been better'.

So, went out today to the grocers. Decided to do my Sunday shop on Saturday because the weather not so great tommorrow. It was a little crowded with a very long, 20 minute queue to get into the supermarket. It was sunny at least though in the car park ...

Very glad to get it done, I don't have to go out again at least until Easter break is over..