Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

My husband found out a family friend he knew when he was younger just died from the virus. He hadn't seen the guy in years. The man had underlying heath problems.

I just went out for a walk and went into the shop as it was empty. The pharmacy had a huge queue outside for some reason. It was empty the other day when my husband went in there.

Given the wide variety of people who have died from the virus, young and old, healthy and those with underlying health conditions, I have a feeling this virus attacks people at the genetic level. By that, I mean there may be certain obscure genetic markers that causes the virus to act more aggressively in those people.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Val and KLS52
I read a couple of days ago that they think one of the reasons men are dying more than women is that they have weaker immune systems. I didn't know that at all.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Val and shyvas
Given the wide variety of people who have died from the virus, young and old, healthy and those with underlying health conditions, I have a feeling this virus attacks people at the genetic level. By that, I mean there may be certain obscure genetic markers that causes the virus to act more aggressively in those people.

This makes sense. I remember reading blood type also seems to factor in; IE: certain blood types are more susceptible. .

• Informative
Reactions: Blues
I need to stop reading stories of people who have been intubated...it is a fear of mine and it’s freaking me out. It’s not healthy to keep dwelling on it. Plus it seems that most of the people who go on ventilators are the ones that are not making it. :cry:

I have seen several videos from people who have recovered and from respiratory therapists and they are all saying how important it is to continue to take deep breaths, even if it hurts/is uncomfortable, and not to just lie down and do nothing because it will take over your body. You have to fight it. So I have been doing breathing exercises thinking that if I get sick, that it will help me. :fp: I also feel like maybe the walking everyday will mean my lungs will be in good condition and will be able to fight it.

I do plan on just staying home...so unless there is an issue with a delivery bringing the virus into the house, we should be ok. We are on day 13 of not having contact with anyone from the outside, other than bringing in deliveries and groceries. But I wipe down all boxes, then take out the contents, wipe those down, and leave the boxes outside for recycling.

It looks like we may close on the new house next week...I am very curious as to how that is going to go down. I hope it’s a big conference table and that we are all wearing masks and gloves. I am quite nervous.

I just did a quick google search and ran across stories from China on susceptability and blood type. I don't have broadcast tv, and basically get my info from sources that give me numbers, WHO, CDC, Iowa Board of Health, etc. While mainstream news has a "If it bleeds it leads" need to get eyes on copy mentality, often they don't give any numbers. I know, google is what it is, and I 'm not saying it's a trustworthy source, but it was convenient. The one story I read used 2200 infected persons and "thousands of the general population". In a quick attempt to find out what percentage of the population is what type I went to the American Red Cross and added up their breakdown. For Asians, with A,B,AB blood types and their associated RH factors I got 60%. As I said I read 2 different stories and one used the word slightly greater risk for A B's the other used the word significant. If the numbers are close to being correct that 60% of the general population ( the majority) belongs to certain blood groups, seems likely there would be more cases in those groups. I also found it odd that A & B and presumably AB were grouped together, but there may be a reason for it. This is what I found and I'm not saying my numbers are correct just want to point it out.

Regarding men more likely to get it, how do those numbers related to % men vs women smokers or pack year histories , or even occupational hazards that may account for it. Latest figures from the Iowa Board of Health still has more women as verified by testing, though the gap last day or two has been closing. That easily could be explained by more women than men may seek medical attention which could lead to more women being tested for the virus.

I don't know if the information I used is accurate, but when I hear these things it does pique my curiosity .

It seems that my guess wasn't too far from the truth. (and Dedalus too)

It could be a number of factors. Or a combination of more than one thing. Too soon to tell. but yes some interesting hypothesises. (sp?)

Reactions: Emma JC
UK's oldest covid surviving patient :

A 101-year-old man has returned home after being treated in hospital for coronavirus. Keith Watson was admitted to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch for surgery last month and tested positive for Covid-19. But he was discharged on Wednesday and a post celebrating the recovery from the Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust has been shared thousands of times on Facebook.

Patient, 101, becomes UK's oldest person to survive coronavirus

Twitter: Metro (@MetroUK) | Twitter | Facebook: Metro