Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

No, this hysteria doesn't affect me internally just externally just by virtue of other people making a big fuss about it. Even if I caught it I would have overwhelming chance of recovery, this is primarily the killer of old people, not some deadly disease that will decimate humanity. The black death this is not. So it's only matter of reducing death of vulnerable individuals not some cataclysmic event.

If you were married, and in your late 60s, wouldn't you feel differently? (Most) people don't want their beautiful wife or husband to die early.

here's the thing, @Max Caulfield you may not get sick however you may spread it and that is the point of the all the current restrictions is to flatten the curve and if you haven't heard that expression then google "flattten the curve coronavirus" and you will understand why it is so important to stop the spread as quickly as possible

I border on the age of vulnerability and my spouse is over 60 and is in fine health and yet is also our breadwinner so please do not dismiss us as needing to consider our impending death.... how ridiculous ..... I intend to live another 60 or more years and to do it in a healthy fashion. Am I personally at risk, not likely and yet I live in a highrise that has a high number of seniors that are 70 plus and so if I am cavalier in my attitude I could be responsible for one of them dying sooner than they need to.

stay healthy Emma JC

here's the thing, @Max Caulfield you may not get sick however you may spread it and that is the point of the all the current restrictions is to flatten the curve and if you haven't heard that expression then google "flattten the curve coronavirus" and you will understand why it is so important to stop the spread as quickly as possible

I border on the age of vulnerability and my spouse is over 60 and is in fine health and yet is also our breadwinner so please do not dismiss us as needing to consider our impending death.... how ridiculous ..... I intend to live another 60 or more years and to do it in a healthy fashion. Am I personally at risk, not likely and yet I live in a highrise that has a high number of seniors that are 70 plus and so if I am cavalier in my attitude I could be responsible for one of them dying sooner than they need to.

stay healthy Emma JC
I agree... I'm not 60 yet, but i'm at a huge risk, because i have COPD. And my mom is 61y.o., and she has a lung disease because of podagra, and who knows what else. Blin, everyone is at risk, and no one is old enough to be willing to die, especially like that... :pout:
P.S. I'm trying to buy some more hand sanitizers, but already can't find any, because everywhere they are sold out. People are scared as hell, because covid has eventually come to my city.:tinfoilhat: I'll try to get some in the city tomorrow while/IF it's possible.

Fears rarely occur to be completely rational.😁

Many common fears such as fear of fire, drowning, losing a job are rational, although whether it's true depends on specifics.

@David3

No? As I've said if I were in my late 60's or my wife was it would be rational to start consider impeding and drastically increasing year by year notation of my or my spouses death. To not do so would be simply denying the inevitable and the truth of the matter.

@Emma JC In that case it ain't that big of a deal, symptoms aren't that serious outside certain small % of the population and small restrictions to minimize deaths wouldn't warrant whole hysteria.

If such virus has significant odds of taking you down then your lifespan won't be 110 + or even 100. Hell, you will be facing extremely low odds to living up to 100 years, this is not really reasonable and rational expectation to have. Either way just because you're healthy today doesn't mean your odds of dying aren't increasing significantly year by year at that point to the point acknowledgment and coping with it in time is reasonable. Of course, it's wise to accept inevitability of death from early in your life as unexpected event may hit you when you're young even if your odds are quite good at that age.

More cancellations of almost every event planned for the next two weeks. One university has kicked all students out of housing and told them to move all their possessions as well. Hopefully all this will help stop the spread.

Many common fears such as fear of fire, drowning, losing a job are rational, although whether it's true depends on specifics.

@David3

No? As I've said if I were in my late 60's or my wife was it would be rational to start consider impeding and drastically increasing year by year notation of my or my spouses death. To not do so would be simply denying the inevitable and the truth of the matter.

@Emma JC In that case it ain't that big of a deal, symptoms aren't that serious outside certain small % of the population and small restrictions to minimize deaths wouldn't warrant whole hysteria.

If such virus has significant odds of taking you down then your lifespan won't be 110 + or even 100. Hell, you will be facing extremely low odds to living up to 100 years, this is not really reasonable and rational expectation to have. Either way just because you're healthy today doesn't mean your odds of dying aren't increasing significantly year by year at that point to the point acknowledgment and coping with it in time is reasonable. Of course, it's wise to accept inevitability of death from early in your life as unexpected event may hit you when you're young even if your odds are quite good at that age.
I've never been afraid of death for myself, only of some potential manners of death. Growing up on a farm, one realizes how much death is part of life.

But the idea that one can "prepare" oneself for the deaths of individuals one loves so that the loss hurts less is naive in the extreme, as you will someday learn for yourself.

The only way to insulate yourself from that pain is to love less, and that carries its own price.

I've been told to work from home! I'm so relieved. My workplace functions as a conference centre on more days than not, with people from all over the country and beyond. Although, meetings with international participants was recently cancelled due to the virus situation. Anyway, this could be the start of a new era. For most of the work I do I don't really need to be physically present at the workplace, although it's good to meet people face to face sometimes, of course.

I've been told to work from home! I'm so relieved. My workplace functions as a conference centre on more days than not, with people from all over the country and beyond. Although, meetings with international participants was recently cancelled due to the virus situation. Anyway, this could be the start of a new era. For most of the work I do I don't really need to be physically present at the workplace, although it's good to meet people face to face sometimes, of course.
Yoshkin kot!😼 I'm so glad that you'll be a little more safe! :up: I've been worried about people in the UK (so much cases!), according to what i heard on the news. Take care.:hug:

I suddenly thought: @KLS52 , are you mad at what i've said?:ooal: I wasn't going to argue about whether this is "the end of days" or "still not", because there is nothing to argue about here (in both cases, it's stressful, and this stress affects people badly). We were speaking about the same things from different perspectives. Anyway, i thought, you're probably already stressed out about all this situation, and my "doomy" words might have made you feel even more uncomfortable. If so, i beg your pardon. :hug:

I've never been afraid of death for myself, only of some potential manners of death. Growing up on a farm, one realizes how much death is part of life.

But the idea that one can "prepare" oneself for the deaths of individuals one loves so that the loss hurts less is naive in the extreme, as you will someday learn for yourself.

The only way to insulate yourself from that pain is to love less, and that carries its own price.

More than one of my family members (I mean family I've delt with on daily basis not some long-distanced relative that I barely knew, granted one of I didn't really like much) died and it didn't really impact me emotionally very much. I didn't even cry. I'm uncertain of my ability to love, but had somewhat positive relation toward one of dying relatives. I don't think there is an individual that death would faze me, except maybe in sense of experiencing gruesome death. Of course, I may have schizoid personality disorder (just theorizing) as at least some symptoms are there. I may be unique in that regard and approach topic from unusually rational and stoic position.

• Informative
Reactions: Val
I suddenly thought: @KLS52 , are you mad at what i've said?:ooal: I wasn't going to argue about whether this is "the end of days" or "still not", because there is nothing to argue about here (in both cases, it's stressful, and this stress affects people badly). We were speaking about the same things from different perspectives. Anyway, i thought, you're probably already stressed out about all this situation, and my "doomy" words might have made you feel even more uncomfortable. If so, i beg your pardon. :hug:
Ok. Let’s get one thing clear. I will never be mad at you. So stop worrying about that! I have never taken offense to anything you’ve said. :) 💗

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
More than one of my family members (I mean family I've delt with on daily basis not some long-distanced relative that I barely knew, granted one of I didn't really like much) died and it didn't really impact me emotionally very much. I didn't even cry. I'm uncertain of my ability to love, but had somewhat positive relation toward one of dying relatives. I don't think there is an individual that death would faze me, except maybe in sense of experiencing gruesome death. Of course, I may have schizoid personality disorder (just theorizing) as at least some symptoms are there. I may be unique in that regard and approach topic from unusually rational and stoic position.
While there is much fear around this virus that is truly irrational, so are your responses.
This is not just a threat to the elderly. This is not just threat from a virus. This is a threat to everyone who contracts it that has underlying health conditions. This is a threat to every one who has any health emergencies that can't get proper attention because it's diverted elsewhere. This is a concern to all those who may not receive a paycheck due to their inability to work, for a myriad of reasons that this epidemic is causing. This a concern to those who don't have childcare, and can't afford childcare, when their schools are closed. This is a concern to those who've lost money on travel expenses. This is a concern for those who DO have feelings for those who are truly impacted.
I don't know where on earth you are, but in most areas everyone is in some impacted.
You've been nothing but dismissive, and really quite rude here, and I don't understand what you get from posting on a thread that doesn't concern you

Oddly enough, while I know my family and friends would miss me when die, I know in time they will move on and be fine. I worry about leaving my cats. I have such a strong bond with the three of them. It breaks my heart just thinking about it. No one will take care of and love them like I do. ☹️💙

Ok. Let’s get one thing clear. I will never be mad at you. So stop worrying about that! I have never taken offense to anything you’ve said. :) 💗
Thanks. :hug: (Like i said, i'm an utterly neurotic and hypochondriac type, lol, and sometimes it causes me a lot of inconvenience, because i'm getting scared of "ghosts" that i created).:lol:

Thanks. :hug: (Like i said, i'm an utterly neurotic and hypochondriac type, lol, and sometimes it causes me a lot of inconvenience, because i'm getting scared of "ghosts" that i created).:lol:
I get it. I can be like that too. I just want you to feel secure that I really don’t think you could be offensive. So try not to worry, at least with me. 😊

So, this is what we are doing:

I am younger than my sister by nine years, and I have a much better than average immune system. Therefore, I am doing all the shopping and errands such as taking animals to the vet, etc.

This week, I started wearing nitrile gloves while shopping, primarily as a reminder to not touch my face. I am disinfecting my hands before coming into the house,washing my hands thoroughly as soon as I come in, and changing my clothes as soon as I come home.

My sister has damage to her respiratory system from blood clots. When I do get hit by something in the respiratory tract, I get hit hard ever since I had untreated pneumonia when I was in graduate school.

My goal is to get the least severe case possible, and to keep my sister from getting it. At the least, I am hoping to ensure that my sister and I are not totally incapacitated at the same time - the care of the nonhuman members of the household is time consuming and requires quite a bit of energy.

Its creeping me out as I am low immunity. I think people hoardeing stuff is in state of panicking. Our pantries are doing drive giveaways now. We won’t know what we get til we get home. I sort out if an animal products i either toss or give to neighbors.