Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

So while typing "news" into the youtube search engine, I got a huge amount of results for this virus, all the top search results from our trusted corporate media, so I guess it has to be real.

Maybe, maybe not:

Last edited:
My friend told me not to kiss his dog companion on the mouth. He was worried about germs. I told him not to worry because I am disease-free.

I have never seen a single germ in my life. I do not think they actually exist. The germ theory of disease is only a theory.

Hope i get it.

I was musing just yesterday whether now might not be the best time to get it.

Hospitals and isolation wards in the Western World are still empty, doctors will concentrate on every single case, antiviral drugs still available.
Considering that about 70 % of the population might end up contracting it, it will be much more difficult at a later stage.

• Informative
Reactions: Mischief and Val
I have always washed my hands quite a lot anyway but now I am washing them for a longer length of time as suggested. I use a paper towel to open the public restroom door at my work but I have always done this. I can't change my lifestyle as I have to go to work at a retail store. I have always used the wipes at the grocery store. I think basic hygiene should be practiced all the time!

Not really but we have had emails company wide at work about not having any meetings or travel unless absolutely necessary & avoiding public transport wherever possible. We must tell our line manager where we are going if going on holiday & not come into the office if unwell at all.

They also did a deep clean of the whole building.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I was musing just yesterday whether now might not be the best time to get it.

Hospitals and isolation wards in the Western World are still empty, doctors will concentrate on every single case, antiviral drugs still available.
Considering that about 70 % of the population might end up contracting it, it will be much more difficult at a later stage.

There is a lady who apparently was reinfected after recovering from a first bout so.... there are no guarantees.

Emma JC

• Wow
Reactions: Andy_T

Reactions: Emma JC
Just got an email from my healthcare provider. There are no physicians able to test for Coronavirus. It can only be done by NYS and CDC. They are advising everyone to not panic and if they come down with flu-like/viral symptoms to stay home and monitor symptoms. If at any time breathing becomes labored, one should seek medical attention in an ER and if they are unable to get to an ER to call 911. Cough, runny nose, chest congestion does not warrant assuming it’s Coronavirus.

Editor's note: Updated March 2 with the latest information on COVID-19.

The new coronavirus outbreak has made headlines in recent weeks, but there's another viral epidemic hitting countries around the world: flu season. But how do these viruses compare, and which one is really more worrisome?

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 89,000 illnesses and 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalisations and 18,000 deaths this season, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

That said, scientists have studied seasonal flu for decades. So, despite the danger of it, we know a lot about flu viruses and what to expect each season. In contrast, very little is known about the new coronavirus and the disease it causes, dubbed COVID-19, because it's so new. This means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

My daughter manages an office of 100 people. She got a call from her boss while she was driving home from work today. Apparently, someone in the office was exposed to coronavirus and now they want to close the office for 14 days. My daughter has to go into the office tomorrow, (which I think is crazy, lol) and explain this to the staff. Then she has to figure out a way to get laptops for the employees so that they can work from home for 14 days. :eek: :worried:

My daughter manages an office of 100 people. She got a call from her boss while she was driving home from work today. Apparently, someone in the office was exposed to coronavirus and now they want to close the office for 14 days. My daughter has to go into the office tomorrow, (which I think is crazy, lol) and explain this to the staff. Then she has to figure out a way to get laptops for the employees so that they can work from home for 14 days. :eek: :worried:
They don't have a way to contact employees at home? What is the reason for having them stay away from the office if it's okay for them to their the very next day?
:woo:

Reactions: Emma JC
I've been trying to avoid this as well of late. I was not aware of how often I touch my face without even thinking about it.

Same here. As it's the allergy season, I find myself rubbing my eyes frequently.

I went to Lidl's yesterday and the shop was nearly empty. I then went to the lab for a blood test and apparently, I was there only
patient during the entire afternoon.

I find that the media are doing a lot of scare mongering.

• Friendly
Reactions: David3 and KLS52
They don't have a way to contact employees at home? What is the reason for having them stay away from the office if it's okay for them to their the very next day?
:woo:
The employees aren’t aware right now. I’m sure there is a contact list for emergency purposes if they needed to get in touch with all of them. They’re not being told until today. I think it’s more of a “this is what might happen. And if it does, this is going to be the plan.” I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet. I’ll know more after she’s at work.

I’m wondering if it’s more of a director hearing it from another management staff then deciding to let the managers know so they can prep their employees. Sometimes it’s better to clue people in than to let it trickle through the grapevine and have it get all distorted. This way it can be discussed in a calm/professional manner.

I actually like that strategy. I hate when something important is going down at work that directly involves staff and they’re the last to find out in the final hour. First of all, there has never been a secret management plan that hasn’t been divulged ahead of time. Then you get the “telephone” effect where everyone is whispering about it and starting to panic because they are conjuring up scenarios that usually aren’t correct.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val