Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Daughter had to travel 1/2 hour and is waiting in line in the freezing cold for grandson to get tested.

Why aren’t there more local places doing testing? And why aren’t doctor offices doing them, especially pediatricians? I get there could be a lot needing testing but it’s not like they need to see the doctor. A nurse can do it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Apparently the pediatrician said they are short staffed. I guess that’s legit. It seems to be an issue with everything. How can there be so few people working?
The pharmacies were doing it for awhile.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Daughter had to travel 1/2 hour and is waiting in line in the freezing cold for grandson to get tested.

Why aren’t there more local places doing testing? And why aren’t doctor offices doing them, especially pediatricians? I get there could be a lot needing testing but it’s not like they need to see the doctor. A nurse can do it.
I think the lack of testing has always been an issue in the US. And one that we have been well aware of for quite a while.

In my area we have a pretty good handle on testing. One place near me is a drive thru.
Most of the middle schools are providing free testing.

Biden has spotlighted testing in getting ready for Omicron. Not sure if this is true but getting health insurance to pay for home kits.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
yesterday, myself and millions of other Ontarians became eligible for the booster and trying to book was a nightmare - a hundred local pharmacies along with the regional centres are all trying handle it and the earliest I could find was February 23rd - I am hoping that after the initial rush dies down I will be able to find another spot earlier and at least I have a spot for now and will work on finding another after Christmas - I also don't mind waiting a bit as apparently there is a lot more Moderna available than Pfizer and I would prefer Pfizer - my six months is up on the 24th so I couldn't book before Monday as that is when they lowered the interval to 3 months...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Grandson is positive but we expected that based on the home test. The first was borderline but they did another last night and it was a definitive positive. The pcr result came back today as positive. But daughter, SIL and granddaughter are negative…for now.

I’m texting with daughter at 3 am lol. She’s stressing over covid. SIL has same symptoms as grandson who is positive but his test yesterday was negative. He got tested again today so we don’t know results. My daughter has had a headache (she’s not prone to headaches) so of course she feels like she’s going to end up having Covid as well but her test from yesterday was also negative. Granddaughter was negative but she is not fully vaccinated. She has only had one dose and now probably won’t be able to get her second dose next week since she has to quarantine because of not being vaccinated and having exposure to Covid positive grandson. So of course daughter is projecting that if her and SIL end up getting it days apart from each other, that poor granddaughter is going to have to quarantine for 10 days from the start of each of their positive tests. The poor kid isn’t going to see the light of day for three weeks or more. Boo Covid. Not to mention our Christmas plans have been ruined. The bright side is grandson is already feeling much better. 😍

I keep wondering if I should do a home test since I sat next to grandson at church. But we sit in the open room where there are individual chairs, not in the church pews, and we always wear masks. We had no physical contact. I don’t really want to waste a test since I feel perfectly fine.

Connecticut is at an almost 9% positivity rate.
California is at 3%

the positivity rate is maybe not the best metric. Increased testing can result in a higher positivity rate.
Also the people who get tested are either in high risk environments or are felling ill or have had contact.
One of the questions that they need to answer is if there are a lot of people without symptoms who are transmitting the disease. and if so what can we do about it.

also read yesterday that the Omicron variant does not result in milder cases. the idea that it does was maybe based on that it doesn't make vaccinated people that sick. Don't know for sure yet. Early days.

Where I`m staying it is not mandatory to wear masks in building of private businesses including shops. So I see many people not wearing them.:(
It is in my county and I think the State's mandate will go into effect soon (if it hasn't already).

The one place that I had been seeing unmasked people were the hallways of my own apartment building. But except for one A-hole I think it was mostly absent mindedness. Even I forget sometimes when just going downstairs to take out the garbage or get the mail. Also when returning from walks.

In general in the building just habit has made it so we don't really think about it anymore. Like when I come home from somewhere (even just getting the mail or taking out the garbage) the first thing I do is wash my hands.

Its taken me a long time to get used to seeing school age children on their way to and from school. Kids were at home for so long.

My two favorite masks have been hand washed so many times they are both getting a little "aged" looking. I probably should have replaced them but I keep thinking they just have to last a little longer.

I’m texting with daughter at 3 am lol. She’s stressing over covid. SIL has same symptoms as grandson who is positive but his test yesterday was negative. He got tested again today so we don’t know results. My daughter has had a headache (she’s not prone to headaches) so of course she feels like she’s going to end up having Covid as well but her test from yesterday was also negative. Granddaughter was negative but she is not fully vaccinated. She has only had one dose and now probably won’t be able to get her second dose next week since she has to quarantine because of not being vaccinated and having exposure to Covid positive grandson. So of course daughter is projecting that if her and SIL end up getting it days apart from each other, that poor granddaughter is going to have to quarantine for 10 days from the start of each of their positive tests. The poor kid isn’t going to see the light of day for three weeks or more. Boo Covid. Not to mention our Christmas plans have been ruined. The bright side is grandson is already feeling much better. 😍

I keep wondering if I should do a home test since I sat next to grandson at church. But we sit in the open room where there are individual chairs, not in the church pews, and we always wear masks. We had no physical contact. I don’t really want to waste a test since I feel perfectly fine.
Oh, no, I am so sorry. I am glad grandson is feeling better, though!

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
Connecticut is at an almost 9% positivity rate.
Crazy! Hospitalizations are up over 800 as well. I remember when they were almost in single digits over the summer. Our governor doesn't seem to have an appetite for reinstating mandates, though. I can understand not shutting down businesses and all, but the mask mandate should come back, IMHO.

• Agree
Sooo, my sister is getting tested for COVID tomorrow. She's got what she describes as a head cold. She can get a rapid test at her work. She tried to find ones in the stores, but nobody has them. The only place that makes sense for her catching it is from our small party last weekend. There were eight of us, but the two little ones aren't vaxxed and my sister and two nephews have not gotten boosters. So far, everybody else feels fine. The only other place I can think of that she could pick it up is maybe the stores, as some people aren't wearing masks. <sigh>

• Friendly
Hmm. I have had health probs due to fibro the past two weeks and have just realised that it was prob Covid on top. Felt like an extremely mild 24 hour cold so I didn't even really think about it. I haven't been anywhere luckily as I've been ill but my husband has so he probably spread it everywhere!

Realised I can't taste food. I can smell food though as I could smell the vinegar on my chips earlier. We do have tests at home but I'm not sure if it is too late to do it.🤔

Hmm. I have had health probs due to fibro the past two weeks and have just realised that it was prob Covid on top. Felt like an extremely mild 24 hour cold so I didn't even really think about it. I haven't been anywhere luckily as I've been ill but my husband has so he probably spread it everywhere!

Realised I can't taste food. I can smell food though as I could smell the vinegar on my chips earlier. We do have tests at home but I'm not sure if it is too late to do it.🤔
I hope you feel better soon and that it's not COVID!

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
Thanks Ptree. One very weird symptom was that I feel like I have burned the roof of my mouth. I have no idea if that is a usual symptom or not or if it is just a random coincidence. Lol.

We are going to do the tests tomorrow. It said you can't eat, drink or vape before and we have been eating. I assume it is too late to do the tests anyway but my husband was planning to see his family boxing day.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15