Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

We had guy who went and got 10 vacs for other people so they didn’t have get the vacs .
For cash 💰 of course .
I actually feel badly for the people who paid for that. However- considering I got vaccinated back in March, and was theoretically "safe" by April 15th, but still have to wear a mask most places... I wonder why they even bothered?!

I'm wondering whether I should bother with a booster dose until this mask mandate in my area is dropped. I don't mind wearing a mask, but I expect a reasonable explanation for mandates.

We have met most of the criteria for lifting the mask mandate. Officals expect that we can lift the mask mandate in January.
Hmm, I'd be surprised if California will somehow avoid Omicron.

Over here, the government had to switch to "plan B" earlier this week, which includes re-introducing the mask mandate and encouraging working from home again. So I'll be working from home until at least January, and presumably longer as Omicron is spreading much quicker than the Delta variant.

I'm personally very happy about WFH, although of course I wish it didn't take a deadly pandemic to convince my employer to allow it!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I actually feel badly for the people who paid for that. However- considering I got vaccinated back in March, and was theoretically "safe" by April 15th, but still have to wear a mask most places... I wonder why they even bothered?!

I'm wondering whether I should bother with a booster dose until this mask mandate in my area is dropped. I don't mind wearing a mask, but I expect a reasonable explanation for mandates.
This is my attempt at a "reasonable explanation"
-----

Vaccines are pretty good at protecting yourself. But you need a pretty high percentage of people vaccinated before it becomes effective at protecting the general population. The number I hear is 80% - but it could be higher. the magic number is based on some equation and variables of the virus but it is just a projection. We also have past real experience with other viruses (and the equation) that make 80% seem to be a reasonable expectation.

until we reach that 80% threshold, masks and social distancing are pretty effective strategies to protect other people (including yourself). However they don't appear to be 100% effective - or maybe they would be 100% effective if 100% of the people did it 100% of the time.

The other thing that needs to be accounted for is that its been shown that fully vaccinated people not only can be infected with the Delta variant - and may or may not have symptoms - but can spread Covid to other people. Although vaccinated people rarely get symptoms that are worse than a cold - unvaccinated people can still get very sick and maybe die.

I think the original hope was to make covid extinct or close to extinct - like we did with small pox and polio. Not sure if I can put bird flu and swine flu in that category. First worlders don't even get small pox or polio vaccines anymore. The risk from the vaccine is higher than the risk of contracting the disease.

with the variants, I'm now hearing that our goal is to go from covid being a pandemic to it just being endemic, like the seasonal flu. beside vaccines some level of masking (like at the dentist and the hairdresser) are probably the new normal.

The variants are also pushing the need for boosters. I got my booster a week ago.

In California, we have targets to reach before they drop the mask mandate: A fully vaccinated threshold of 80%; moderate rate of transmission (as defined by the CDC); and a low and stable rate of hospitalizations for three weeks (determined locally). In my county they expect to have met all the targets in January.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hmm, I'd be surprised if California will somehow avoid Omicron.

Over here, the government had to switch to "plan B" earlier this week, which includes re-introducing the mask mandate and encouraging working from home again. So I'll be working from home until at least January, and presumably longer as Omicron is spreading much quicker than the Delta variant.

I'm personally very happy about WFH, although of course I wish it didn't take a deadly pandemic to convince my employer to allow it!

They have reported dozens of cases of Omnicron in California. A lot of companies extended WFH to January and we may be able to drop it in the new year. However a lot of employers and employees may continue WFH, at least part time. A lot of people like it. Here in California it not only is good for slowing the spread of the disease but also is good for reducing air pollution and road congestion.

Schools are back in session again and so far so good - especially with the lowering of the age for the vaccine. Also in highly liberal San Mateo County we don't have much parent pushback on the vaccine mandate. In the 5 to 12 year old category vaccinations are 88%. Above 12 its 93%.

I had my booster today at Publix. Very quick and organized process and I hardly felt the needle at all. In my area, a lot of people are behaving like all is back to normal. Very little mask wearing, no mandates, and people have forgotten how to "socially distance". At work we are still required to wear masks and the manager insists on employees keeping to the 6 ft. social distance rule. They did take down the plywood barricades between the registers but we still have the plexiglass.

This might be how the future might unfold but no way will it include me .

I assume it’s not fake news

I got boosted at 3:30. No soreness yet, but I sure felt that needle! Walgreens has really plastic-y bandaids, it was pricking me as I was driving
I didn't once think about waiting around this time, and they didn't suggest it either.

I got boosted at 3:30. No soreness yet, but I sure felt that needle! Walgreens has really plastic-y bandaids, it was pricking me as I was driving
I didn't once think about waiting around this time, and they didn't suggest it either.
Keep us posted. Do you have work tomorrow?

My county never dropped the indoor mask mandate. But some counties did.
But now the State of California has mandated indoor masking for everyone in the state.
The mandate is planned to end Jan 15.
It was expected that our county was going to meet the criteria to drop masks in just a couple of more weeks. but I did expect them to keep it up to at least the end of the Hollidays. So now its just a couple of more weeks added on.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
16 cases in just four days. But this includes the 9 I reported on Saturday.

16 cases in just four days. But this includes the 9 I reported on Saturday.
How are you guys doing in the vaccination rate sweepstakes?

do you still have a mask mandate?

Speaking of the vaccination rate sweepstakes. When I got my first shot I was slightly disappointed that it didn't come with a prize. I was pretty quick on my vaccine because I was 65+ and vulnerable. People who got fully vaccinated got stuff. at least a coupon of something. But when I got my booster it tripped something and I got $50. Well I haven't actually received it yet. there may be strings attached.

Reactions: Emma JC
How are you guys doing in the vaccination rate sweepstakes?

do you still have a mask mandate?

Speaking of the vaccination rate sweepstakes. When I got my first shot I was slightly disappointed that it didn't come with a prize. I was pretty quick on my vaccine because I was 65+ and vulnerable. People who got fully vaccinated got stuff. at least a coupon of something. But when I got my booster it tripped something and I got $50. Well I haven't actually received it yet. there may be strings attached.
That's cool! Ohio had a lotto, I didn't win
My son got $5 from Walgreens for the first two. I went there for the booster but didn't get anything
My job gave these 'points' we can accumulate and get stuff

My arm is fine today, as is the rest of me! I was really stiff all over yesterday, the day after, and very tired. I thought maybe it was coincidence, but today I'm normal, so I don't know :shrug:

We have the mask mandate for everyone at work now due to multiple covid tests. Testing has been mandatory for everyone for the past couple weeks.
I only know of two people on the production floor, but it sounds like we have many.
Really sucks theres no longer compensation for it, and peoples PTO is mostly over

I got my booster last Friday. Was tired for a few days but it looks like I got it the nick of time. I hung out with my best friend Saturday after she worked. Someone who worked on the Friday at her work tested positive. Then my best friend failed a rapid antigen test yesterday. She is waiting for the results of her PCR test but she has flu-like symptoms, so she is likely to test positive. My friend is relatively fine but I am worried about her wife getting it because she has coexisting health problems. I on the other hand am completely well, I did a PCR test today just to be sure. I'm hoping I don't get listed as a close contact in a few days and miss Christmas (I believe you have to isolate for 7 days after getting told you are a close contact). I have isolated since I found out, and I will wait for my test to come back before going out. Here's hoping that booster did it's job.