Computers The Everything Apple Thread

I experienced a glitch of some sort on my phone Tuesday night. It wasn’t scrolling up and down smoothly, and I had trouble swiping back and forth on my multiple home screens. I decided to shut off and restart the phone, and discovered that the slider to turn off the phone wasn’t working! I tried to do a restart from the settings (go to General and scroll down to the bottom), but the slider didn’t work there, either. So I googled what to do, and found instructions using the side buttons.

Quickly press and release the volume up button.
Quickly press and release the volume down button.
Press and hold the sleep/awake button until the Apple logo appears, after about 10 seconds.

If you engage Siri, keep trying.

It took me about 15 tries to get the logo. Once my phone had turned on again, it was working fine and the slider was working, too. Whew.

I even pulled off the screen protector and removed the case, but those weren’t the problem. Since the screen protector was scratched, it needed replacing anyway, so that’s what I did once my phone was working again. I had bought a set of three when I got my new phone back in January, so fortunately I didn’t have to order more and wait for it to come.

Add this to the list of “things you didn’t know you could do on your iPhone”.

If you have multiple passes in your Wallet app, you can reorganize them by dragging and dropping them. I have two from the same retailer (REI; one is a regular membership card and the other is a sale pass), and they were separated from each other by a couple other passes. I wanted them together, so I decided to see if I could move them. I could! They can be moved up and down, so I went ahead and alphabetized all my passes so I can find them faster. If you have apps that are Wallet compatible, you can put membership cards, sale passes and even gift cards (Starbucks, for example) in your iPhone Wallet.

😷

The new iOS has some new emojis. Including a masked smiley face. I didn't know it but the last iOS had a masked smiley face, too. But this one is improved. You can tell from the eyes he is smiling.

Reactions: KLS52
Just curious if anyone has DIY'ed a battery replacement for a MacBook Pro. I got a "service recommended" message for my battery, and I'm loath to take the laptop to the Apple store because if I need a new battery, I doubt I will get same-day service. And I need my laptop for work, so leaving it for several days isn't really an option.

Just curious if anyone has DIY'ed a battery replacement for a MacBook Pro. I got a "service recommended" message for my battery, and I'm loath to take the laptop to the Apple store because if I need a new battery, I doubt I will get same-day service. And I need my laptop for work, so leaving it for several days isn't really an option.
do not try to DIY
The keyboard is soldered in on some MacBook pros.
I think there is some danger coming from the capicitator too

The safest bet is to take it in to the apple store. but you are right, it is not same day service. in fact, most apple stores can't do it themselves and the will ship it somewhere. figure a week

Try searching around for someone independent. I found someone in my area who can get it done almost overnight. About the same price as the apple store. I'm not sure I'll use him again. this last battery didn't even last 2 years.

let me know what you decide or find out. my battery is on its last legs.

Reactions: Amy SF
do not try to DIY
The keyboard is soldered in on some MacBook pros.
I think there is some danger coming from the capicitator too

The safest bet is to take it in to the apple store. but you are right, it is not same day service. in fact, most apple stores can't do it themselves and the will ship it somewhere. figure a week

Try searching around for someone independent. I found someone in my area who can get it done almost overnight. About the same price as the apple store. I'm not sure I'll use him again. this last battery didn't even last 2 years.

let me know what you decide or find out. my battery is on its last legs.
Thanks so much, Lou. I took it in this morning for diagnostics, and they told me they do indeed ship it out with an "average" turnaround time of five days. Not really an option. I would love to get a new one so I can have a backup for situations just as this. But I'm waiting until the new model comes out because allegedly they are restoring some of the ports, like the HDMI and sim card ones, and bringing back the MagSafe charger. The newer MacBooks have only two Thunderbolt ports, I believe, and one is for charging. I don't like the idea of the dang dongles, especially with video. A direct connection always works best for video, like when I hook it up to the TV or to my monitor. I still have peripherals with USB connections as well. Apple gets annoying sometimes with the way it wants to shove its changes down our throats, but I do love their computers.

I still have a little life left in this battery. It works fine when it's plugged in, so for now, I'm OK. But I may try to find a local who can do it more quickly. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks so much, Lou. I took it in this morning for diagnostics, and they told me they do indeed ship it out with an "average" turnaround time of five days. Not really an option. I would love to get a new one so I can have a backup for situations just as this. But I'm waiting until the new model comes out because allegedly they are restoring some of the ports, like the HDMI and sim card ones, and bringing back the MagSafe charger. The newer MacBooks have only two Thunderbolt ports, I believe, and one is for charging. I don't like the idea of the dang dongles, especially with video. A direct connection always works best for video, like when I hook it up to the TV or to my monitor. I still have peripherals with USB connections as well. Apple gets annoying sometimes with the way it wants to shove its changes down our throats, but I do love their computers.

I still have a little life left in this battery. It works fine when it's plugged in, so for now, I'm OK. But I may try to find a local who can do it more quickly. Thanks for the tip!
What did they say it would cost?

Yeah. look for a local. I found an old guy who works out of the garage. Charged about the same. but he had it done in a day or two. But I don't know why this battery was so short lived. I should call him and ask him about it.

Another option you might look into is a used MacBook. At least till you get the new one.

My MacBook is a 2012. I got it in 2016. and although its stuck in Catalina, a lot of people think this may be one of the best MacBooks ever. * The years 2015 to 2018 are very well thought of among enthusiasts. And they can run the current OS ( I think).

You might check out CraigsList. I'm thinking about $800

*MagSafe, two USBs, external sound jack, two ThunderBolts, HDMI, card slot. 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, 750GB hard drive.

What did they say it would cost?

Yeah. look for a local. I found an old guy who works out of the garage. Charged about the same. but he had it done in a day or two. But I don't know why this battery was so short lived. I should call him and ask him about it.

Another option you might look into is a used MacBook. At least till you get the new one.

My MacBook is a 2012. I got it in 2016. and although its stuck in Catalina, a lot of people think this may be one of the best MacBooks ever. * The years 2015 to 2018 are very well thought of among enthusiasts. And they can run the current OS ( I think).

You might check out CraigsList. I'm thinking about $800

*MagSafe, two USBs, external sound jack, two ThunderBolts, HDMI, card slot. 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, 750GB hard drive.
I didn't even ask how much it would cost because I don't see myself doing this anytime soon (if the battery holds out). I can't be without it because I basically work almost every day. So maybe a used/reconditioned one would do the trick as a backup. Mine is from early 2015, and I bought it in January of 2017. It has all the ports you listed, plus the MagSafe charge. The newer ones ditched the MagSafe charger and had only two Thunderbolt ports and the sound jack. So maybe I can find one as a backup and then get the battery replaced in this one. So far, mine is able to run the latest OS (Big Sur).

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Soooo, there is a big Apple event on Oct. 18. I'm guessing it will feature the long-rumored new MacBook Pros. Now I'm torn between getting new and getting refurbished. :) The rumor is that standard RAM will start at 16G, which I have now. So I'm going to want more RAM. :D

Reactions: KLS52
My ipad works really slowly for the past couple of days, what can I do to improve its performance and regain its usual efficiency and speed?

Did you try clearing cookies and cache? From what i read, it is not uncommon for ipad to start working slowly after some time. And there are couple of things you can do to improve its performance. In the professional Apple blog www.macgasm.net you will definitely find the solution. Good luck and please let us know how does it go.

Last edited: