The Everything Animal Thread

Listened to an interesting podcast yesterday. Might even get the book

There's a vast world around us that animals can perceive — but humans can't. Pulitzer Prize-winning science writer Ed Yong talks about some of the sights, smells, sounds and vibrations that other living creatures experience. His book is An Immense World.​

Every now and then, I watch other animals as they explore- such as dogs or cats as they stop to sniff things- and wonder what it would be like to experience my surroundings as they do. I don't think I'd want to change like that permanently, but it would be really interesting to have a nose as sensitive as a dog's, hearing like a bat's or whale's, be able to see ultraviolet like bees can, have antennae...

Every now and then, I watch other animals as they explore- such as dogs or cats as they stop to sniff things- and wonder what it would be like to experience my surroundings as they do. I don't think I'd want to change like that permanently, but it would be really interesting to have a nose as sensitive as a dog's, hearing like a bat's or whale's, be able to see ultraviolet like bees can, have antennae...
that reminds me of this guy

1656669782267.png
London - Trafalgar Square
* WHEN: Sunday July 3, 2022
1pm-4pm - timing currently approximate

What is the purpose of the Memorial Service?

The Memorial Service is to acknowledge the lives of the animals in a respectful way. To honour them in death in a way that most animals will never be honoured in life. The animals present in the ceremony represent the billions of non-human animals used by humans for food, clothing, entertainment, science and as companions. We mourn their loss and reach out on their behalf to implore others to no longer be the cause of their suffering.

Reactions: Lou
Frogs love to cuddle.

Attachments

• PXL_20220728_150744200.jpg
    PXL_20220728_150744200.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220728_150755056.jpg
    PXL_20220728_150755056.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220728_150746115.jpg
    PXL_20220728_150746115.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: KLS52
1659531812873.png
1659531833423.png

This Poor Little Chap Walked into Brambles Wildlife Rescue seeking Help!

"Wonders never cease
💗
🕊
at our late evening muckout last night we were putting birds back in their cages that had been out for flying practice. Justin pointed out a pigeon sat on top of the cages and said 'that must be one of yours' as we both have a bank of cages we clean each. I told him it couldn't be, all 'mine' were back in their cages. After a mild bicker that it must be/can't be, on closer inspection we realised this pigeon had let himself in and admitted himself and a quick check back on the cctv showed him wandering in for shelter when the rain started last night as the door was open a little to circulate the air
😂
our flock know us and often hang around at the door begging for a scoop of seed. This poor wee mite has a very bad case of canker, his throat was rammed with it and it has caused a swelling on his neck too. We have removed what we can and hope he can hang on whilst the medication takes care of the rest.
We have seen it all now, pigeons admitting themselves to Brambles and refusing to leave
🙈
😂
whatever next!
We have called him Bupa
🩺
"

It's a miracle that these 5 cows managed to survive 2 hours on UK's busiest motorway (M1) as they escaped a field through a hole in the fence.
Sad that so many people found this funny! :( :mad:

• Sad
1659856529099.png

Little Miracle-Brambles Wildlife Sanctuary in Blackpool.

She was one of the babies found under a dustbin at the local tram station and was on the brink of death. Look
at her today. She is stunning and so full of life.

• Friendly
There was a good report on NPR last week about how stupid (my word - not theirs) the round ups and then the incarceration of wild horses.

It turns out that wild horses are fire prevention machines.

Wild Horses Could Keep Wildfire At Bay

View attachment 27249

View attachment 27250

Little Miracle who was bought in by a person who found her at the tram station in the north east of the UK. Another orphan
further to the cull of mum and dad.
She was on the brink of death and spent the night in an incubator and liquids were fed to her. This morning she has opened
her eyes but is not out of the woods yet.
1660163181790.png

After two months of care and lots of love, this is our Little Miracle. This little sweetheart is
the sweetest pigeon that I've ever seen. Massive thanks to Brambles Wildlife Rescue who say that she isn't fully developed
for her age but is doing well and also knows that she is a very special girl.