The Dog Lovers Thread

Arlo has been very unwell today. (The photo is from another day when he was fine.) We had to take him to the vet because of vomiting and diarrhoea. The vet gave him a shot and two types of medicine. I think he's on the mend now, so hopefully he will be fine, but I'm still super worried.

I suspect it was probably something he ate because he's very much into sniffing and finding things when we go on walks, although Mrs Summer thinks it's some bug (virus/bacteria/etc).

It's me...hi...I'm the problem it's me.
I tend to over think everything and worry, sometimes needlessly. I do hope Arlo gets better soon!

Reactions: Second Summer
@Second Summer how is Arlo today? Any better?
Mrs Summer & our daughter went with him to the vet again because he's still not drinking or eating anything, and we haven't managed to get any of the medicine in him. They gave him another shot, but didn't think he seemed dehydrated or otherwise too unwell, so he's back home again now. He does seem a little bit perkier, at least part of the time, as he's been sniffing and investigating things in the garden and by the vets' office. He also "slapped" the vet with his paw when apparently he thought she was being too invasive when examining him.

Fingers crossed he will be better tomorrow.

Mrs Summer & our daughter went with him to the vet again because he's still not drinking or eating anything, and we haven't managed to get any of the medicine in him. They gave him another shot, but didn't think he seemed dehydrated or otherwise too unwell, so he's back home again now. He does seem a little bit perkier, at least part of the time, as he's been sniffing and investigating things in the garden and by the vets' office. He also "slapped" the vet with his paw when apparently he thought she was being too invasive when examining him.

Fingers crossed he will be better tomorrow.
Take this with a grain of salt, from someone who admittedly tends to jump to worst case scenarios, but a former forum member I'm friends with on Facebook just went through a nightmare with one of their pups. The dog contracted leptospirosis which is transmitted through urine from wildlife. It's an extremely rare and deadly illness. Maybe it's a USA thing, not really sure. It's also zoonotic.

Fortunately, the veterinarian on the case was brilliant and fast acting and started treatment right away, because the test takes three days and the dog would likely have not survived had they waited.

If it wasn't for just recently being made aware and seeing what this family went through, I wouldn't even have thought to bring it up. I've never heard of leptospirosis before. And apparently there is a vaccine for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
Take this with a grain of salt, from someone who admittedly tends to jump to worst case scenarios, but a former forum member I'm friends with on Facebook just went through a nightmare with one of their pups. The dog contracted leptospirosis which is transmitted through urine from wildlife. It's an extremely rare and deadly illness. Maybe it's a USA thing, not really sure. It's also zoonotic.
Thank you - but no, he's already vaccinated against that.

Today he's still not drunk any water that I've noticed, but he's eaten just a very small amount of food. He's also been on probably 30 mostly unsuccessful trips to the garden to relieve himself (#1 yes, #2 no ...).

That said, at one point he actually nudged at his lead and looked at the front door, so I took him for a walk!

However, Mrs Summer has just taken him to the vet again, I guess just so they can make sure he's really doing OK.

Edited to add: Arlo is staying the night at the vet's. As he's not drinking they will give him an IV. They're also doing a blood sample. Hoping for some answers and that his issue has improved by tomorrow :dizzy::scream:

Last edited:
Thank you - but no, he's already vaccinated against that.

Today he's still not drunk any water that I've noticed, but he's eaten just a very small amount of food. He's also been on probably 30 mostly unsuccessful trips to the garden to relieve himself (#1 yes, #2 no ...).

That said, at one point he actually nudged at his lead and looked at the front door, so I took him for a walk!

However, Mrs Summer has just taken him to the vet again, I guess just so they can make sure he's really doing OK.

Edited to add: Arlo is staying the night at the vet's. As he's not drinking they will give him an IV. They're also doing a blood sample. Hoping for some answers and that his issue has improved by tomorrow :dizzy::scream:
Glad that he's vaccinated but sorry he's not doing better. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it soon! 💙

Arlo has come back home! Currently sleeping, curled up on the sofa.

He ate a bowl of food at the vet last night, and a bit more this morning. He also ate a small amount of food after he came home. The diarrhoea is not gone completely, but much improved.

The vet still don't know what caused it. The blood sample results didn't show anything particularly wrong.

Arlo has come back home! Currently sleeping, curled up on the sofa.

He ate a bowl of food at the vet last night, and a bit more this morning. He also ate a small amount of food after he came home. The diarrhoea is not gone completely, but much improved.

The vet still don't know what caused it. The blood sample results didn't show anything particularly wrong.
How much is vet care over there? I can't recall what i've paid for a cat, but over a hundred just for the stay. Just a routine blood test is $200, and the doc appt alone is like $55

How much is vet care over there? I can't recall what i've paid for a cat, but over a hundred just for the stay. Just a routine blood test is $200, and the doc appt alone is like $55
My vet charges $72 to walk in the door. Bloodwork usually runs 200-250 depending on what they're looking for.

I don't have the itemised bills in front of me, but we paid £109 for the first visit which consisted of a consultation and some medicine. Then £79 for the next visit which was just a consultation, I think. Then about £550 for the overnight stay and blood sample. Fortunately, we have insurance, and after the first two bills, we didn't actually have to part with any more money as the vet will deal with the insurance company directly, and we will even be partly reimbursed since we have paid a bit more than the excess.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
I don't have the itemised bills in front of me, but we paid £109 for the first visit which consisted of a consultation and some medicine. Then £79 for the next visit which was just a consultation, I think. Then about £550 for the overnight stay and blood sample. Fortunately, we have insurance, and after the first two bills, we didn't actually have to part with any more money as the vet will deal with the insurance company directly, and we will even be partly reimbursed since we have paid a bit more than the excess.
I don't think I will ever not have insurance for any pets going forward. When Bratt broke his leg at a year old it cost us close to $11,000 total. What a nightmare. Took a good while to pay that off. Care credit was helpful. After that I got insurance for Ben because he was the oldest. Then when Ben died in 2019, I got insurance for the remaining three. It's come in handy with Joon since her IBD diagnosis. And the plus side is I don't have to hesitate when they want to do expensive diagnostics.

If I get more animals I will definitely insure them with Pet Plan as they are far and away the best pet insurers. One of my cats is with Pet Plan and they pay out within a few days. My eldest cat doesn't have any pet insurance and my dog is with a different company, but they always try to wriggle out of paying anything for her.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
If I get more animals I will definitely insure them with Pet Plan as they are far and away the best pet insurers. One of my cats is with Pet Plan and they pay out within a few days. My eldest cat doesn't have any pet insurance and my dog is with a different company, but they always try to wriggle out of paying anything for her.
I've had really good luck with Trupanion. Bens expenses were a little over 6,000 and I got back 90%. They also pay for prescription food for the first two months of diagnosis and they pay 50% for medications for lifetime.

Reactions: Raven