The Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian

Connie

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have noticed that there is a considerable overlap on these forums between vegetarian and vegan and am left wondering if anyone actually knows the difference between the two?

It would be nice if the vegan side of things could be kept vegan (on the forum) and the vegetarian side vegetarian.

The natural progression is omnivore to vegetarian to vegan.

Omnivores eats everything/anything.

Vegetarian - The Vegetarian Society definition of a vegetarian is "Someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or by-products of slaughter"

Vegans take a vegetarian diet one further and exclude all dairy products, eggs, honey and the use of silk.

Reactions: Damo
I know a lot of people who are not in the loop think of vegan and vegetarian as interchangeable, so thank you for posting so people can become more aware.

Still, even if they know the difference, it's understandable that there's overlap as vegans the same issues as vegetarians, they just also have additional ones. By your definition, they are vegetarians - a subcategory. I guess you could say all vegans are vegetarians, but not all vegetarians are vegan.

Often one could be left confused at where to post a topic, if it's related to both vegans and vegetarians. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I guess the rule of thumb should be, if it can apply to both vegans and vegetarians, you should post in "vegetarian" but if it usually only applies to vegans, post in the vegan forum? By those rules, that means this topic should be in the vegetarian area though, since it's about both.

Last edited:
Vegans exclude more than that.. ALL animal products, those were just to name a few. But I agree, it would be good to keep them separate as they are very different things. Vegetarianism still supports the suffering and death of animals (not that anyone wishes it upon them).. it's nowhere near veganism.

As I said in another thread though.. we all "support" the death of animals to an extent. It's not just about what goes in our stomachs.