The Coffee House-Come and Chat With Us!(January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recovered from my hellish Fall semester by first withdrawing and feeling kind of crappy then finally I had a bit of money to afford myself a belated holiday present, and stayed at a local Victorian inn, did some shopping and got a massage and had some fun. I feel sooo much better now. I'm sleeping better, have better energy, have improved mood, it's kind of amazing because my little staycation only lasted for a few days but it really shifted my mind. Also I have been taking CBD oil, Lions Mane mushroom extract and herbal teas, so perhaps I also needed some natural medicine.

Quite cold here in central VA. The zealous gun advocates should be cleared out from downtown and I am going to the gym today - hurray!

Mr. Poppy is in Las Vegan for the week, so I only have myself to consider when it comes to meals or entertainment for the next few days. It feels like a little vacation. 😄

Quite cold here in central VA. The zealous gun advocates should be cleared out from downtown and I am going to the gym today - hurray!

Mr. Poppy is in Las Vegan for the week, so I only have myself to consider when it comes to meals or entertainment for the next few days. It feels like a little vacation. 😄
You said Las Vegan-- :laughing:

Random - on the topic of oatmeal, which I typically only make on the weekends of my days off (I put so much stuff in my oatmeal I just don't have the time when I have to get up at 4:30 just to get to work by 7), I tried making overnight oats a few days ago and it was a total fail. I'm thinking of sometimes just cooking the oatmeal and chopping my nuts and dates the night before so I can just toss it all in a bowl and microwave it. But I don't know if I will have it that together once classes start next week.

Today at work I took a phone call (which I do ALL day long) and the first thing I hear is "This is a sign-language interpreted call..." ...An hour and 10 minutes later I was able to help the hearing-impaired instructor get signed in to her email on 2 devices which had been migrated to another service, with the help of the interpreter. I had to open a ticket for the rest of the things she needed help with as they weren't working. I have so much respect for sign language interpreters and the hearing impaired people they help. I wasn't even doing any interpreting but it was mentally exhausting. I'm not sure people really think about how difficult it is to have to communicate through a 3rd party, and without any audible speech involved. I was reminded how I once wanted to do that, way back when I was 20-something. I am now re-visiting that idea, along with my desire to be a polyglot... It's never too late, right?

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Random - on the topic of oatmeal, which I typically only make on the weekends of my days off (I put so much stuff in my oatmeal I just don't have the time when I have to get up at 4:30 just to get to work by 7), I tried making overnight oats a few days ago and it was a total fail. I'm thinking of sometimes just cooking the oatmeal and chopping my nuts and dates the night before so I can just toss it all in a bowl and microwave it. But I don't know if I will have it that together once classes start next week.

Today at work I took a phone call (which I do ALL day long) and the first thing I hear is "This is a sign-language interpreted call..." ...An hour and 10 minutes later I was able to help the hearing-impaired instructor get signed in to her email on 2 devices which had been migrated to another service, with the help of the interpreter. I had to open a ticket for the rest of the things she needed help with as they weren't working. I have so much respect for sign language interpreters and the hearing impaired people they help. I wasn't even doing any interpreting but it was mentally exhausting. I'm not sure people really think about how difficult it is to have to communicate through a 3rd party, and without any audible speech involved. I was reminded how I once wanted to do that, way back when I was 20-something. I am now re-visiting that idea, along with my desire to be a polyglot... It's never too late, right?

There was a tip on YouTube where you take all the fixings for oatmeal and put them in a zip lock bag or a Tupperware bowl. You can just do all the fixings for the week in a bowl and divvy them out every day or put the fixings for each individual bowl in separate bags.

another technique is to make steel-cut oats for the week and then put it in the frig - then it just needs be heated up.

Reactions: Emma JC
Random - on the topic of oatmeal, which I typically only make on the weekends of my days off (I put so much stuff in my oatmeal I just don't have the time when I have to get up at 4:30 just to get to work by 7), I tried making overnight oats a few days ago and it was a total fail.

What went wrong ? I'm intrigued. :)

another technique is to make steel-cut oats for the week and then put it in the frig - then it just needs be heated up.

That's what I would do and have done with leftover steelcut. If you make it with some red lentils in it and even the fruit that you like, frozen cranberries, blueberries etc then a quick microwave and a few nuts on top and you have an amazing meal in a minute or two. You won't even notice that the lentils are in there as they turn the same colour as the steel cut oats and are basically the same size.

Emma JC

That's what I would do and have done with leftover steelcut. If you make it with some red lentils in it and even the fruit that you like, frozen cranberries, blueberries etc then a quick microwave and a few nuts on top and you have an amazing meal in a minute or two. You won't even notice that the lentils are in there as they turn the same colour as the steel cut oats and are basically the same size.

Emma JC
I love red lentils. I may have to try that!

I don’t know why but I’m not a fan of overnight oats. The texture seems different from cooked. More starchy/pasty.

The dish is so very different to porridge. I don't get the jitters when I eat muesli(soaked oats) compared to cooked ones. :)

What went wrong ? I'm intrigued. :)
Well, I put the oats and water in a jar (I typically cook oats with water and add soy milk later), same amount as I would use to cook them, and there was basically just a bunch of water sitting on top of the oats in the morning. These are organic steel cut oats, but they take only 5 mins to cook on the stove, not 20 mins like some other types so I thought it would work.

I like the idea of making a bunch a head of time. I normally don't eat breakfast - I just have some fruit/nuts/dates before I run out the door - but it would be nice to have a bite of oatmeal on occasion. (I once told someone I didn't have time to cook oatmeal every morning and he looked at me like I was crazy. Like I literally only have 5-10 mins to eat in the morning IF I'm going to eat. Often I just grab the fruit and nuts and take it with me and eat when I get to work. Since they put me on the early schedule, I'm already bummed I don't have time to run in the morning. I'd have to get out of bed at 4:15 and it's just too danged COLD and dark to run at 4:15 AM :( )

I did overnight oats just a couple of times before I went back to my regular oatmeal. First time was a fail - I used water like @TofuRobot . Then the next time I decided to use soya milk and add some raisins. This was better, but still not as good as my cooked oatmeal. (I like the warm feeling of cooked oatmeal too much, I guess.)

Well, I put the oats and water in a jar (I typically cook oats with water and add soy milk later), same amount as I would use to cook them, and there was basically just a bunch of water sitting on top of the oats in the morning. These are organic steel cut oats, but they take only 5 mins to cook on the stove, not 20 mins like some other types so I thought it would work.

I like the idea of making a bunch a head of time. I normally don't eat breakfast - I just have some fruit/nuts/dates before I run out the door - but it would be nice to have a bite of oatmeal on occasion. (I once told someone I didn't have time to cook oatmeal every morning and he looked at me like I was crazy. Like I literally only have 5-10 mins to eat in the morning IF I'm going to eat. Often I just grab the fruit and nuts and take it with me and eat when I get to work. Since they put me on the early schedule, I'm already bummed I don't have time to run in the morning. I'd have to get out of bed at 4:15 and it's just too danged COLD and dark to run at 4:15 AM :( )

That is far too much liquid. I just cover mine with either apple juice or water and a dash of soya milk. I often just soak them for 15/30 mins before eating the museli. I don't find much difference in texture when soaking overnight or for 30 mins.
I usually top the oats with lots of yogurt, seeds, nuts and raspberries. If you have an airtight container, you could prepare them before leaving home and if possible eat them at work - if permitted.

I used to get up at 4 am so know what it's like to have to dash to work. :(

I did overnight oats just a couple of times before I went back to my regular oatmeal. First time was a fail - I used water like @TofuRobot . Then the next time I decided to use soya milk and add some raisins. This was better, but still not as good as my cooked oatmeal. (I like the warm feeling of cooked oatmeal too much, I guess.)

They are two different things. I don't think that you can really compare them to taste, texture and GI index.

They are two different things. I don't think that you can really compare them to taste, texture and GI index.
Well, there was a lot of hype around overnight oats, so I wanted to see if I was somehow missing out. As far as taste goes, I don't think was! Maybe I should overnight my oats, and then cook them? Does that give me the best of both worlds? :)

Well, there was a lot of hype around overnight oats, so I wanted to see if I was somehow missing out. As far as taste goes, I don't think was! Maybe I should overnight my oats, and then cook them? Does that give me the best of both worlds? :)

It is my opinion that people that eat overnight oats, mostly, live in warmer climates. I can't think of anything less appetizing than cold oats in the morning, for most of the year. Also, how else would I use up the amazing Canadian maple syrup. lol

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Status
Not open for further replies.