The Coffee House-Come and Chat With Us!(January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there was a lot of hype around overnight oats, so I wanted to see if I was somehow missing out. As far as taste goes, I don't think was! Maybe I should overnight my oats, and then cook them? Does that give me the best of both worlds? :)

No because you would not have the exact texture and taste of bircher museli.

It is my opinion that people that eat overnight oats, mostly, live in warmer climates. I can't think of anything less appetizing than cold oats in the morning, for most of the year. Also, how else would I use up the amazing Canadian maple syrup. lol

Emma JC

This is the story behind Bircher muesli also know as overnight oats :

When I made overnight oats I would heat them up in the microwave to warm them. I could not eat cold oatmeal.

Reactions: Emma JC
So what am I missing? Are you supposed to use different oats for overnight? Is muesli different from oats?
Oops, just saw shyvas’ post on Bircher meusli. 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: shyvas
This is how I’ve seen muesli look in the store which is why I think I was confused when it was mentioned as overnight oats.

29405E50-8E77-4B12-AE06-A205C95FCD8D.jpeg

Reactions: TofuRobot
Muesli is definitely more appealing, lol.

It reminds me more of granola. I could eat that cold.

Well, I put the oats and water in a jar (I typically cook oats with water and add soy milk later), same amount as I would use to cook them, and there was basically just a bunch of water sitting on top of the oats in the morning. These are organic steel cut oats, but they take only 5 mins to cook on the stove, not 20 mins like some other types so I thought it would work.

I like the idea of making a bunch a head of time. I normally don't eat breakfast - I just have some fruit/nuts/dates before I run out the door - but it would be nice to have a bite of oatmeal on occasion. (I once told someone I didn't have time to cook oatmeal every morning and he looked at me like I was crazy. Like I literally only have 5-10 mins to eat in the morning IF I'm going to eat. Often I just grab the fruit and nuts and take it with me and eat when I get to work. Since they put me on the early schedule, I'm already bummed I don't have time to run in the morning. I'd have to get out of bed at 4:15 and it's just too danged COLD and dark to run at 4:15 AM :( )

When I was working not only didn't I feel I had the time to cook oats but I also felt like I didn't have the time to sit down and eat a bowl. So even cold cereal was out on weekdays.

Most days I would just whip up a Breakfast Smoothie and chug it at the sink or perhaps take it with me and drink it on the way. Sometimes i would make up some oatmeal muffins to eat in the car. or even more often I would nuke a burrito I made and froze over the weekend.

Now I cook fresh oatmeal almost every day in the micro. It took me an embarrassingly long time to master it but I really like my breakfast bowl of oatmeal which I eat while reading the news or the Vegan Forum.

BTW you can cook up an InstantPot of instant oatmeal and store it in the frig or freezer and nuke it a little with some milk in the mornings.

Well, there was a lot of hype around overnight oats, so I wanted to see if I was somehow missing out. As far as taste goes, I don't think was! Maybe I should overnight my oats, and then cook them? Does that give me the best of both worlds? :)

I make a big batch of steel-cut oats - the kind that takes forever - but I make them in my instant pot. Then i divide it into little jars and put one in the frig and the rest in the freezer. Just always have one in the frig. In the morning I add some soymilk, raisins, maple syrup, ground flaxseed and nuke them for a little bit. But it doesn't really accomplish much.

I make a big batch of steel-cut oats - the kind that takes forever - but I make them in my instant pot. Then i divide it into little jars and put one in the frig and the rest in the freezer. Just always have one in the frig. In the morning I add some soymilk, raisins, maple syrup, ground flaxseed and nuke them for a little bit. But it doesn't really accomplish much.
Oooh - You're a genius, @Lou !! 🥇

Edit: I just ordered new sealing rings for my IP. It has lately started leaking steam around the edges of the lid and I'm embarrassed to say I've had it for over 2 yrs and haven't change the sealing ring once... 😳

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I don’t know why but I’m not a fan of overnight oats. The texture seems different from cooked. More starchy/pasty.
Did you use non dairy milk? I just use water and usually frozen blueberries. I mix in morning and heat a bit at break.
I found I like other grains like farro or buckwheat, or a mix, cooked. I'll cook a batch and just need to portion to grab for work in the mornings

Reactions: Emma JC
Did you use non dairy milk? I just use water and usually frozen blueberries. I mix in morning and heat a bit at break.
I found I like other grains like farro or buckwheat, or a mix, cooked. I'll cook a batch and just need to portion to grab for work in the mornings
Yes I think I did use almond or cashew milk for the overnight. I only use water when I cook them and add a splash of silk creamer just before I eat them.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
The great oatmeal discussion. 😁

I always liked oatmeal but way back in 1984, I was lucky enough to go to the Bahamas for four days and I had the most amazing oatmeal of my life lol. I’m sure it was plain old cooked oats but they added bananas and strawberries with butter , heavy cream and brow sugar. OMG. I still remember it. So I veganized it! Of course I don’t eat it like that every time because it kind of takes away from the health aspect of it. But occasionally, when I want a decadent breakfast, LOL, I will add the bad stuff.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
<<< Not a fan of cereal for breakfast. Nope. Oatmeal for dinner? Fine. But for breakfast I want something uncomplicated taste-wise. I don't want sweet/fruity/grainy/nutty/goopy/milky - bleh. And I don't like sweet oatmeal at all. I like my oatmeal with EB and salt. And I hate leftovers of nearly any kind, but especially oatmeal.

Anyone want to invite me for a sleepover??? 😄

I really am a fan of steel cut oats and always cook a huge batch when in the US. My favourite way of serving is with some maple flavoured sugar free syrup and a huge drizzle of soya cream.:yum

Too sweet for my liking. 😃
I made granola once - used orange juice as a sweetener. It was really good! But I kinda ate it all in one sitting so I never made it again. Too much work, LOL

Muesli - My oatmeal is like mueusli, except I like to add all the other stuff after I cook the oats. I don't like to cook my nuts, dates, and fruit. I'm complicated that way. ;)

I made granola once - used orange juice as a sweetener. It was really good! But I kinda ate it all in one sitting so I never made it again. Too much work, LOL

Muesli - My oatmeal is like mueusli, except I like to add all the other stuff after I cook the oats. I don't like to cook my nuts, dates, and fruit. I'm complicated that way. ;)

Basically speaking, most people are complicated when it comes down to food. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.