The Cat Lovers Thread

This is what life in Brighton looks like, for a newly adopted cat:

327582353_3467975623473116_7068661604127289698_n.jpg

Umm...

With respect, @shyvas, is your cat really a dog in a cat-shaped onesie?

Our cats are certainly our friends, but they'll only defend us from whatever they want to catch at the time (mice, shrews, rabbits and once a fox). They most definitely see life centred round them, not us and they are particularly faithful around dinner time - they'll happily transfer their faithfulness to any other neighbours straight afterwards if the food or fuss is right. Devotion is not a word I'd associate with them; I'd probably use exploitative in preference.

• Haha
Reactions: vesper818 and silva
Umm...

Our cats are certainly our friends, but they'll only defend us from whatever they want to catch at the time (mice, shrews, rabbits and once a fox). They most definitely see life centred round them, not us and they are particularly faithful around dinner time - they'll happily transfer their faithfulness to any other neighbours straight afterwards if the food or fuss is right. Devotion is not a word I'd associate with them; I'd probably use exploitative in preference.

I don't have any pets.

Umm...

That has not been my experience. My cats are glued to my hip 24/7, not just around feeding time. It may not be "devotion" in the literal sense of the word but they cry for me if they can't be with/near/on me. I guess you could argue that they only want me for body warmth/a place to sleep, lol, but I know that they love me and miss me when I'm not around.

That has not been my experience. My cats are glued to my hip 24/7, not just around feeding time. It may not be "devotion" in the literal sense of the word but they cry for me if they can't be with/near/on me. I guess you could argue that they only want me for body warmth/a place to sleep, lol, but I know that they love me and miss me when I'm not around.
I've had all kinds. Now I have Cali and Sophie who are quite bonded, but also my baby and princess. They very obviously love use! Bobby and Char were the older kittens I trapped with their obviously dumped momma, and were terribly feral-the mom was quite happy to get a home! Even though they finally came around, they are so bonded to each other they couldn't seem to care less who attends to them. They're more roomates with maid service

That is so sweet.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Umm...

Well.... I have to admit that cats don't appear to be as social (or devoted) as dogs, whom I think are justifiably known as humans' best friends. But I don't think cats are as unsociable as they are often thought to be....

My family's cat Peasant, whom we had from late 1963 to early 1972, hated the sound of my sisters crying for some reason, and she would sometimes gently nip them to make them stop- but one day she thought one of them was crying because of me, and she nipped ME. And my Mom once told me how our tomcat Riley/Tomkit (1956-1963) once stayed under my sister's crib sometimes after she had spent a few days in the hospital (he hadn't done this before). Yes, they were often food-oriented- all the animals I've known have had that in common, to some extent- but they seemingly liked companionship for it own sake, too.

My girls are very cuddly with me and follow me around the apartment. These two are much more affectionate than my former boys who were raised from birth. Smokes "talks" to me a lot and I think they do love me in whatever capacity that cats have to love.
I've known exceptions, but I think some female cats are more cuddly/affectionate (to their humans) than male cats. I'm thinking of my girls Peasant, Patches, Ripkin, and Crystal. (Then there was Tabitha- who wasn't affectionate to anybody.)

I adopted my two boys, Riley and Phil, from two different places but they were about the same age. They soon bonded and liked to hang out together, but they liked to roughhouse too: during their mutual groomin/licking sessions, each would want to be the licker, rather than the lickee. Eventually one would put the other in a sort of headlock to hold him steady for the tongue-grooming, recipient of this protested, both tails started thumping the floor, and soon they were giving each other a very different sort of licking. Maybe you could call them "macho". They got along well with me, but were really bonded more with each other, at least when they were the only cats.

I have had both male and female cats who have been exceptionally affectionate and others not so much. I used to think I preferred male cats because I had several who were very affectionate/attention seeking and a few female cats who were very standoffish. But Stella and Joon have changed that opinion.

I think cats see their human protectors as part of their family/pack. My rescue cats are very friendly and not just for food.
My rescue kitty is very cuddly. He never used to be. When we first brought him home, he hated us, didn't trust us and didn't want anything to do with us. Over the last couple of years though, we have earned his trust, and now he's the most affectionate little guy. When he's had enough though, he doesn't hesitate to let us know.