The bad reputation

Yep. PETA may not be known by everyone, but them and their ilk are enough to influence the reputation.

/Sea kittens, anyone?

Apparently Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson giving their controversial opinions(like claiming Lebron James was being treated like a slave) has no influence on what people think about Civil Rights, but PETA has major influence on what people think about vegetarians. Makes sense.

I think it may have been on VB ...

A 'what first made you go veg*an' poll had something ridiculous like 70-80 of all respondents saying it was something produced/published by PETA that first sowed the seed.

Mostly it was the 'Meet Your Meat' video they produced, if I remember correctly.
So they've had a positive influence as well? I wish we'd hear more about this than the negative.

So they've had a positive influence as well? I wish we'd hear more about this than the negative.

The only veg*ans who have good reputation in omni-land are omni-appeasing ones.

To have good reputation amongst wrong doers means you present no threat to continuation of the wrongs they like to do.

To have bad reputation amongst wrong doers simply means you must be doing something right.

A negative reputation amongst negative people is a double negative, as it were.

A double negative is actualy a positive, I think?

Reactions: TreeHugger
Apparently Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson giving their controversial opinions(like claiming Lebron James was being treated like a slave) has no influence on what people think about Civil Rights, but PETA has major influence on what people think about vegetarians. Makes sense.

Non-Hispanic whites make up only 63% of the US. Which leaves 37% of the US non-white.

While almost 97% of the US is non-vegetarian. Which leaves a little over 3% of the US being non-vegetarian.

It's ten times more likely to run into a Hispanic and/or non-white person in the US then it is to run into a vegetarian.

And even then, minorities in the US are likely to be viewed negatively.

Wait, so Civil Rights are an organization now?

Are "vegetarian" or"vegan" organizations now?

Also, your sentence bothers me. I'd say it's a subject-verb agreement problem (you're treating "Civil Rights" as a collective noun, as indicated by the object), but you may be going off of British English rules, which is perfectly fine with such heresies.

Are "vegetarian" or"vegan" organizations now?

Also, your sentence bothers me. I'd say it's a subject-verb agreement problem (you're treating "Civil Rights" as a collective noun, as indicated by the object), but you may be going off of British English rules, which is perfectly fine with such heresies.

I was addressing an earlier post that compared Civil Rights to PETA as if that was a comparison more meaning than one that compares apples to chalk. The grammar was deliberate to stress my confusion.

I was addressing an earlier post that compared Civil Rights to PETA as if that was a comparison more meaning than one that compares apples to chalk. The grammar was deliberate to stress my confusion.

Ah, okay. If it was referring to my post, what I intended to convey was that Civil Rights is a broad enough, and popular enough, concept with many people supporting it that organizations such as the NAACP or ACLU don't become the primary method of passing information about the movement to non-members.

While with veg*ns, they are much more rare (especially vegans, it seems), that the actions of PETA can be the primary source of information about veg*ns to omnis.

To judge vegetarians poorly because of one person(Ingrid Newkirk) is no different than omnivores being judged by the actions of the many dictators who were omnivores(which is most). Most people are smarter than that. Blaming PETA or Ingrid on the bad reputation is just a guess, and there is no evidence anywhere to support it as far as I'm aware.
I think I was comparing Sharpton and Jackson to PETA.

To judge vegetarians poorly because of one person(Ingrid Newkirk) is no different than omnivores being judged by the actions of the many dictators who were omnivores(which is most). Most people are smarter than that. Blaming PETA or Ingrid on the bad reputation is just a guess, and there is no evidence anywhere to support it as far as I'm aware.

I think I was comparing Sharpton and Jackson to PETA.

That's almost as ridiculous. One is a person. The other one is an organization. And almost nobody outside of the veg world has even heard of Newkirk.

To judge vegetarians poorly because of one person(Ingrid Newkirk) is no different than omnivores being judged by the actions of the many dictators who were omnivores(which is most). Most people are smarter than that.

Or it would be like all Muslims being judged by the newsworthy terrorist fringe. Oh wait...

Reactions: Mischief
Some people need to get a grip. PETA is an outdated punch-line for most of the general public. To suggest they represent anything in the public eye at this point is like suggesting that Greenpeace is perceived to represent all of environmentalism or that the Black Panther Party represents all black progressive movement efforts in the US.

Kind of like Howard Stern or Sarah Palin. People think they are idiots, but they can't stand to look away at the risk of not seeing the next moronic words to come out of their mouths.

Some people need to get a grip. PETA is an outdated punch-line for most of the general public. To suggest they represent anything in the public eye at this point is like suggesting that Greenpeace is perceived to represent all of environmentalism or that the Black Panther Party represents all black progressive movement efforts in the US.

What other veg*n group is the general public likely to know of to provide a counter example?

None. What does that have to do with comparing PETA to "Civil Rights"?

I'd say PETA is more analogous to a Civil Rights organization or outspoken advocate.

So why I asked if the public knew of any alternatives to PETA, which you seem to agree with me that none are really widely known, it's PETA that shapes the narrative to non-veg*ns.

While with Civil Rights, sure you have some weird organizations and people under that banner, but figures with commendable public images such as Martin Luther King Jr. are also widely known.

So i should stop being veg so i wont give u guys a bad rep lolol

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

So i should stop being veg so i wont give u guys a bad rep lolol
But if veg*ns are all angelic and virtuous, then regular people will have trouble identifying with us. We need the bad seeds just as much as we need the saints. We need all sorts. Just like Spice Girls and the Village People.

Reactions: KLS52