US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good because it might make him less likely to be able to win in 2024 if he´s legally allowed to run. Although obviously a lot can change between now and then.

It looks there is a little bit of a shift in public opinion after the storming of the capitol on January 6th. Before then, his approval rating was 40% in the average poll and it had been a long time since he had gone below 38%.

You can see this here:

After January 6th, his approval rating is in the high 30s% and the disapprove is more commonly in the 60s% than 50s% now.

This is described a bit here:

I thought Jordan Klepper hit it on the head when he asked the Trumpers, "Do you think its possible that a President who never polled over 40% lost the election?"
Trumpers: "absolutely not".

another swing that I have noticed but I haven't seen any stats on is, before Jan 5 it seemed that Democrats were evenly split. Half wanted to "move on" and the other half wanted to "lock him up". As of today, the Lock him uppers seem to have all the momentum.

Last edited:
I like to listen to the Real Time Podcast every week. Maybe not the whole show but the at least the New Rules and/or overtime. I guess the show is on sabbatical. but there was a new New Rules on YouTube.
Its really good. I don't alway agree with Bill's take on things but I do appreciate how he is not afraid of being controversial.

I really dislike this woman. She’s been on the news a lot. She’s very arrogant and vomit inducing. That’s my new favorite phrase...vomit inducing. Lol.

She’s going to submit a resolution to impeach Biden on January 21. 🤨
OMG . this one is worse that Greene.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
And what I think is worthy of criminal charges, several newspapers are reporting that QAnon-supporting Congresswoman Lauren Boebert live-tweeted House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's location and movements during the white supremacist attack on Capitol Hill, in what appears to have been an effort to help the racist mob locate the speaker.

It was also reported in the Boston Globe but the BG is behind a paywall.

• Angry
Reactions: Emma JC
And what I think is worthy of criminal charges, several newspapers are reporting that QAnon-supporting Congresswoman Lauren Boebert live-tweeted House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's location and movements during the white supremacist attack on Capitol Hill, in what appears to have been an effort to help the racist mob locate the speaker.

Well-luckily they didn’t get to Nancy... Sounds like there is proof... Hopefully Boebert will be prosecuted...

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

Not all of them where white supremacist.

I have an insane sister that thinks that Trump won again. She blasting my husband and I for Voting for Trump. She is pushing her ways unto us and trying to force us into listening to consperiacy Theorists and other stuff. I kept on showing her 20 websites that shown Biden won and she does not believe me. She is about to disown me too.
Plus saying apple is going to shut down her phone because shes not a liberal.

I have an insane sister that thinks that Trump won again. She blasting my husband and I for Voting for Trump. She is pushing her ways unto us and trying to force us into listening to consperiacy Theorists and other stuff. I kept on showing her 20 websites that shown Biden won and she does not believe me. She is about to disown me too.
Maybe disown her first :shrug:. I would certainly just not correspond till maybe cooler times prevail, when you can discuss things other than politics!

My coworker makes it plain she hasn't paid attention to the news for years, but she hears just enough to spark her interest, and it's never enough to be informed 🙄. She'll start on about election fraud, and bits and pieces,and I try my darndest to change the subject!

I think it's worth pointing out, that what she did would still be wrong if she was liberal, all opinions matter. differences in Political beliefs should not divide us, somehow people got the idea that the person you disagree with is your enemy. 👽

Maybe disown her first :shrug:. I would certainly just not correspond till maybe cooler times prevail, when you can discuss things other than politics!

My coworker makes it plain she hasn't paid attention to the news for years, but she hears just enough to spark her interest, and it's never enough to be informed 🙄. She'll start on about election fraud, and bits and pieces,and I try my darndest to change the subject!
Yes and She makes fun of my heart patient husband because he cannot work like her husband that had heart problems. My husband has other problems.
I just hope everyone will be alright this week.
We are looking forward to weds too.

Reactions: KLS52
I think it's worth pointing out, that what she did would still be wrong if she was liberal, all opinions matter. differences in Political beliefs should not divide us, somehow people got the idea that the person you disagree with is your enemy. 👽
It’s difficult when the things you disagree on are morally or ethically wrong. It also matters if they are pushing their immoral/unethical beliefs on you. In order to stay United under those conditions one would have to agree to never discuss them. But still, knowing someone has such immoral/unethical beliefs makes it very difficult to stay connected. It really depends on the type of relationship between said persons.

Reactions: Calliegirl and 1956
Being a hardcore Trump supporter has some similarities with being in a cult. One way to figure out how to deal with your loved ones who are hardcore Trump supporters is to look at the advice for handling a situation where a family member is in a cult (google some articles).

In many cases, people fall into cults who are fairly normal people, fairly intelligent in many ways, and not bad people. You can disown them, but you can also try to help. However it´s likely going to take a significant amount of time, stress and energy and even money and you may still fail. I don´t think you likely get very far in a short time.

Here are some ideas. This is mostly just based on googling a few articles from experts with experience dealing with people in cults rather than my own ideas. Some of it I adapted. I don´t have any experience of knowing anyone who was a Trump supporter or has been in a cult.

--Don´t have angry discussions with them. Speak to them politely and if it gets angry, circle back later.
--Meet them on an equal footing. Be respectful. For example accept one of their arguments, agree with one of Trump´s policies, and disagree with one liberal policy.
--Separate them from their source of info for a while. For some, this means getting them away from Fox News or some other TV network, for others you might challenge them to take a break from social media or their phone for a few days (make it a challenge you both do, and don´t say why you are doing it), for others it might mean getting them to stop going and physically meeting up with some group. Use sneaky tactics to achieve this, for example going away on holiday together to a foreign country where there is no Fox News and booking a hotel with no wifi (is that still a thing?) or phone signal...or calling them or inviting them to do something with you at the same time that Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson or whoever else you know is brainwashing them is on....this one may have to wait until summer given the vaccine.
--Talk to them about other issues first to make a bond (for example shared childhood memories) and then from there go gently into politics. A good place to do this is on a walk in nature, like in the forest (ideally somewhere where you know there is poor phone signal so they don´t get news), which is something you can do now. In an absolutely ideal world, going to somewhere you had shared childhood experiences, years ago, before falling into the cult, is even better.
--Ask them which of Trump´s policies has benefited them personally and how. This one is meant to have them think and realize that Trump did nothing for them personally. However, there is a risk that it could backfire.
--Talk to them about how their are so many lies on facebook/parler or whatever they are on but do it in a non-partisan way, citing clear examples from both sides of the political spectrum. If they say the mainstream media is biased against Trump, agree with this. It obviously is and you will lose credibility if you try to deny the obvious. But point out that the mainstream media doesn´t tell outright lies like you can on facebook.
--Team up with someone else for the effort so you tag team the person. Be loving rather than hating.

You have to adapt these ideas to your situation, for example the ways you separate people from their kool aid will not likely be exactly the same as my suggestions, but use them to get your own idea.

Don´t place too much faith in these ideas because I don´t have experience and haven´t thought about it this much. I´m hoping people can use this as a starting point , throw out some of my bad ideas, and develop some of my OK ones into better ideas.

If you yourself are in a difficult place - depressed, angry, medical issues, loved one died recently etc it might be better not to engage at all on the political issues. Just tell them you don´t want to talk about politics for a while and you want to build the other aspects of the relationship and take a break from politics, but you are happy to talk to them about it later.

And sending love and peace from South America to North America. There is a good chance that things will get slightly better and calmer in the next week or two.

Being a hardcore Trump supporter has some similarities with being in a cult. One way to figure out how to deal with your loved ones who are hardcore Trump supporters is to look at the advice for handling a situation where a family member is in a cult (google some articles).

In many cases, people fall into cults who are fairly normal people, fairly intelligent in many ways, and not bad people. You can disown them, but you can also try to help. However it´s likely going to take a significant amount of time, stress and energy and even money and you may still fail. I don´t think you likely get very far in a short time.

Here are some ideas. This is mostly just based on googling a few articles from experts with experience dealing with people in cults rather than my own ideas. Some of it I adapted. I don´t have any experience of knowing anyone who was a Trump supporter or has been in a cult.

--Don´t have angry discussions with them. Speak to them politely and if it gets angry, circle back later.
--Meet them on an equal footing. Be respectful. For example accept one of their arguments, agree with one of Trump´s policies, and disagree with one liberal policy.
--Separate them from their source of info for a while. For some, this means getting them away from Fox News or some other TV network, for others you might challenge them to take a break from social media or their phone for a few days (make it a challenge you both do, and don´t say why you are doing it), for others it might mean getting them to stop going and physically meeting up with some group. Use sneaky tactics to achieve this, for example going away on holiday together to a foreign country where there is no Fox News and booking a hotel with no wifi (is that still a thing?) or phone signal...or calling them or inviting them to do something with you at the same time that Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson or whoever else you know is brainwashing them is on....this one may have to wait until summer given the vaccine.
--Talk to them about other issues first to make a bond (for example shared childhood memories) and then from there go gently into politics. A good place to do this is on a walk in nature, like in the forest (ideally somewhere where you know there is poor phone signal so they don´t get news), which is something you can do now. In an absolutely ideal world, going to somewhere you had shared childhood experiences, years ago, before falling into the cult, is even better.
--Ask them which of Trump´s policies has benefited them personally and how. This one is meant to have them think and realize that Trump did nothing for them personally. However, there is a risk that it could backfire.
--Talk to them about how their are so many lies on facebook/parler or whatever they are on but do it in a non-partisan way, citing clear examples from both sides of the political spectrum. If they say the mainstream media is biased against Trump, agree with this. It obviously is and you will lose credibility if you try to deny the obvious. But point out that the mainstream media doesn´t tell outright lies like you can on facebook.
--Team up with someone else for the effort so you tag team the person. Be loving rather than hating.

You have to adapt these ideas to your situation, for example the ways you separate people from their kool aid will not likely be exactly the same as my suggestions, but use them to get your own idea.

Don´t place too much faith in these ideas because I don´t have experience and haven´t thought about it this much.

If you yourself are in a difficult place - depressed, angry, medical issues, loved one died recently etc it might be better not to engage at all on the political issues. Just tell them you don´t want to talk about politics for a while and you want to build the other aspects of the relationship and take a break from politics, but you are happy to talk to them about it later.
The government is a cult.

Anarchy

March 4, 2020 ·

Image may contain: stadium and crowd, text that says 'Make no mistake t This is a cult.'

Not all Trump supporters are white supremacist, I don't see any evidence why the people who invaded the capital would be.
I'm pretty much convinced you can't be a Trump supporter and not be racist.
I could give you like 50 examples of racist things that Trump has said and done. I really can't see you supporting him unless you agree with those things.
However part of me will give the Evangelicals a pass. Maybe they are just that single-minded.
but... maybe not. All the Catholics I know voted for Biden.
Also, putting brown children in cages. I can't see how that jives with anything Chrisitian. But totally matches up with being a good racist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.