US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitol attack prompts top US firms to pull funding for leading Republicans

The impeachment discussions will not likely go anywhere. Instead of that, this (above links) should really be the top story today in my opinion.

PS Schwarzenegger speech even seen on Chilean TV yesterday - an extract of it. i think it was a good speech. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I think you're referring to a speech given by Trump this morning? probably this one:

Speech is from 3 min to 25 min in the above video, so 22 min long

To summarize:

He spoke only a small amount about recent major news and them mostly about the wall.

Talks about incoming administration - appears to have accepted that he has lost and given up challenging results. this is consistent with recent speech and actions. nothing new or different.

25th amendment will not work against me, he says, no chance.

They were a "mob" that stormed the capitol, then talked about law and order.

Speak mostly about the wall says it's a good wall, will work.
He says they have 450 miles of wall - (checking on wikipedia this appears to be correct but wikipedia says "all but about 47 miles being replacement of existing outdated or dilapidated barriers.")

Funnily enough if you look at the video it looks like the wall behind is such a tiny section it doesn't.
even fill the screen behind him? unless that's misleading, maybe it just curves out of sight.

Talks about arresting illegal immigrants with serious crime records, changes in immigration policy he made.

He is very grateful to the people who help secure the US's borders, some of whom are in the small, socially distanced crowd.

Claims that Mexico is suffering with coronavirus and the wall helped USA out coronavirus from coming to USA (just fact checking this on worldometers and the reported death rate per capita is higher in the US both recently and throughout the pandemic so this is probably a false claim unless Mexico is under reporting)

He is not raging or falling into insanity looking at this. He looks quite relaxed and content. Then again, maybe he was just in a good mood at this moment.

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I saw this funny article on the Washington Post. I assume it's about all the people that are resigning from the Trump administration, like as someone claimed earlier on this thread (I forget who), rats only going as the ship starts to sink.

Or maybe it´s just about Star Wars. Anyway, it´s funny.

Opinion | I see no choice but to resign from this Death Star as it begins to explode - The Washington Post
Nice! I even signed up for her newsletter.

On October 17, Dan Rather tweeted,
"It’s tempting to use the analogy of rats fleeing a sinking ship to describe the growing number of Republican elected officials starting to speak out against Donald Trump. But that's really not fair to rats, who tend not to be complicit in driving ships to the bottom of the sea."

Reactions: Emma JC
Nice! I even signed up for her newsletter.

On October 17, Dan Rather tweeted,
"It’s tempting to use the analogy of rats fleeing a sinking ship to describe the growing number of Republican elected officials starting to speak out against Donald Trump. But that's really not fair to rats, who tend not to be complicit in driving ships to the bottom of the sea."
It's lonely being a non-partisan vegan. 😢

There are lots of non-partisan vegan anarchists around, but they are usually younger than most people on this forum.

30 years ago, our local Food Not Bombs chapter was organized by vegan anarchists, and I imagine that this is still true today.

is an anarchist non-partisan or anti-partisan?
Either way, I am a firm believer of using your vote to move the needle is better than not voting or in the case of close campaigns, throwing your vote away.
I'd love to see a viable more liberal third party here in America. But not if it means more Republicans get elected.

• Agree
Reactions: Chryssie and silva
So I’m leaning more towards this rushed impeachment being a mistake. I think the part that is swaying me is the fact that it’s being done without following due process. That seems really wrong to me. I wouldn’t mind if someone has information to sway me back again. 😊

Reactions: Lou
I watched some of the proceedings and I was impressed with a few of the Republican Congressman who voted to impeach. I read that some major Democratic donors are setting up "rescue" funds for them. I guess that is the nice thing to do. Maybe even the smart thing to do. Might help to get some Republican Senators to vote to impeach.

However, they just made themselves really vulnerable in their home districts. I feel bad for them but I think those are prime districts to flip now.

I believe the point of the second impeachment, beyond holding Trump accountable for his actions, is to make him pardon-proof. The Democrats don’t want him to be able to pardon himself or for anyone else to pardon him.

Reactions: 1956 and Lou
I believe the point of the second impeachment, beyond holding Trump accountable for his actions, is to make him pardon-proof. The Democrats don’t want him to be able to pardon himself or for anyone else to pardon him.
But doesn’t he have to be convicted fir that to be the outcome ? I just don’t see that happening. Or are you saying that now that he’s been impeached twice he can’t pardon himself?

Reactions: 1956
Status
Not open for further replies.