Vegan Texas Toothpicks

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Serves 6

8 jalapeno peppers
1 large onion ( I prefer vadalia, but any onion will do)

Remove stems and seeds from jalapenos ( I highly recommend wearing plastic gloves )
Remove skin and ends from onion.

Slice all into thin strips, 1/4 to1/8 in.

Batter options:

Beer Batter (my favorite)

8-10 oz beer
1 cup flour
1 TBS garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Mix dry ingredients and add beer. Whisk until blended. Mixture should resemble cake batter.

"Buttermilk" Batter

1 or 1 1/2 c plant milk (I used unsweetened almond)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup flour
dry spices as noted above
In a small bowl, add milk and vinegar or lemon juice;let stand for 5 min.
Add to dry ingredients. Whisk until blended. Should resemble cake batter.

I do not own a deep fryer, but if you do,add oil and heat to 375. Otherwise, add enough oil in a large skillet to equal about 1/2 in thick. Turn on med/high heat to about 375.

Dip strips into batter to coat well, and fry in oil till crisp and lightly browned (they cook up quickly). Drain well on paper toweling. Devour with vegan ranch dip or add tobasco sauce to about 1 c. vegan mayo and a bit of plant milk,well blended, or enjoy as is.

If you prefer not to be naughty (this is, of course, an occasional indulgence), these may be baked on a foil lined (dull side out) cookie sheet at 400 for about 15 min., checking frequently due to variations in oven temps.

Also yummy atop veggie burgers or dogs.

Some of them will stick together when frying, but don't worry, they still taste good even then!

That sounds really good! I need to try this for an upcoming vegan game night I'm hosting.

How long can they sit after being fried? If the weather is good we plan on BBQing and this sounds like a great appetizer to go with a BBQ or to have after while we're playing games. If I can avoid having to fry them up just as they are served that would be cool.

They can sit out indefinitely. They may lose some of their crunch, but will still taste great. You can also reheat them on a cookie sheet in the oven for a few minutes.

Reactions: AlmandineSky