Tell Us Why YOU Went Vegetarian

I am in awe of all of those who came to the realization at such young ages and acted on it.
+1

Because of the animals. I reduced my meat consumption when I was 15 or 16 and also had longer phases (years) in which I completely avoided it only to bounce back to meat again. My (meat-eating) environment had a very strong impact on me back then. Looking at that period in a whole, the right word would be flexitarian or half-time-wanna-be-veggie. It took me a long time to properly connect my gut feeling with my brain circuits. Some months before my 29th birthday I read "Why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows". Only at that point something clicked into action and finally fixed my decision. I'm really happy now and feel stronger than ever before :)

Reactions: Irina and FortyTwo
from an early age my Mom tells me that I didn't eat meat
I cannot tolerate the texture and would not touch it to help in the kitchen!
So it came 'naturally' to me.

Of course she used to feed me spoonfuls of peanut butter so that I would get in some protein, but she did so out of love and respect!

I included soya and oat products into my diet for many years . I also used to have one vegan day per week and mainly ate fish and seafood with lots of wholegrain food.
One thing led to another and since I having had a doggy in my life I decided that I couldn't eat meat anymore. I care for animals far too much and hate the suffering they have to endure in animal factories.
Since I read The China Study, I'm convinced that a plant based diet is beneficial to good health.

Sorry, I am Dutch. My English is not so good. I only can order a cup of coffee when I am in English speaking countries.

Is my signature not correct or doubledutch?

Sorry, I am Dutch. My English is not so good. I only can order a cup of coffee when I am in English speaking countries.

Is my signature not correct or doubledutch?

Oh, no, you're fine! Flawless grammar unless some other rules of grammar have been invented that I don't know about.

I was referring to the fact that both your post and your signature said the same thing. It gave me a sense of deja vu. :p

I went on/off veg*n until I married and had kids. I didn't have any support, or know anyone who was a vegetarian, so I wasn't at all sure about how appropriate it was.
I finally realized what I felt all along was the best way to live was from the whole episode with --that football player dogfighter.
Everyone was so angry about it, expressing their horror as to how anyone could do that- and I saw a documentary about factory farms around the same time- and no one else saw the connection! I couldn't eat lunch with these people anymore. They felt so strongly about one type of animal, yet regularly contributed to the same torture for others--and just continued to excuse it.
Sometimes things take time to really "click".

Oh, no, you're fine! Flawless grammar unless some other rules of grammar have been invented that I don't know about.

I was referring to the fact that both your post and your signature said the same thing. It gave me a sense of deja vu. :p

So it is double. When I was answering on this thread I thought it was a nice signature. That is the reaon why it is the same.

On another forum my signature is: Eat no fear.

Reactions: FortyTwo
I was always sick after eating meat, so went on a 43 day juice fast and never felt better, went on ETL after that.

My girlfriend (who isn't a vegetarian but only eats meat sparingly) got me into eating tofu and making decidedly vegetarian meals. She even got me eating some stuff that I always thought I hated (onions, squash, mushrooms, etc.). After a period of eating meat only once a month or so, I read a couple of books on plant-based eating that gave me the final push to go all the way. The main factors that got me were actually the environmental and health reasons. I always knew that meat production was nasty business and just overlooked it as an unfortunate reality of where tasty food comes from. However, putting that in context with all the other negatives made it all the more of an obvious reason to give it up.

I'm actually not even a full year in yet, but I successfully survived my first meatless Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I feel pretty good about my ability to stay strong.

I can remember being a little girl and sitting at "the kids table" and I was trying to chew the meat, and got into trouble for spitting it out on my plate,lol. Sorry, gross I know. At that young poin in my life I realized I really didnt like meat. But it wasnt until about 12 years ago, that I really disliked eating it, the texture,,,the dryness, the taste just wasnt for me. I still ate it from time to time because it was just there and expected. About 2 years ago I said, ENOUGH, I DO NOT like meat. I get some flak about it but not much. Sadly my boyfriend raises his own food. That I can have no part in whatsoever except for loving them while they are here, sweet gentle critters.

I initially went vegetarian mostly for health and the environment, but I soon learned about the horrors of meat production and added "for the animals" to my reasons. That's the main reason now. It took me a while (years, actually) to decide to ditch cheese, I admit, even after I learned about the dairy industry. Almost five years ago, I said enough was enough, and I couldn't continue eating eggs and dairy. It just didn't feel right. I've never been happier about that decision.

Well one day i just stoped and realised that im eating somebodys child, mother father,and that made me feel horible .I my self own 3 gorgeous guinea pigs who are also eated and tortured a lot .How can anyone eat such creatures or experiment on them...