Target is actually very competitive on groceries

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I can only speak about the Target near me, but a few months ago, they remodeled their store near me to carry a lot more groceries. They sent out a beautiful advertisement in the mail promoting this upgrade. Before, they had about 4 very small aisles with only a handful of items. Now they have a very large selection with about 8 large aisles, freezers, refrigerators and fresh fruits & veggies.

I have noticed their prices are generally on par or slightly lower than regular grocery stores. However, when they have things on sale, they can be really great prices. They offered the absolute best price I have ever seen on Gardien faux meats (yes, they carry that!). The Gardien frozen bags of various meats were only $3.11 per bag! If you see them in regular grocery stores, they run about $4.20 and in health food stores, they run $5.00-$5.50. This week, they offer 4 cases of 12 pack cans of Pepsi products for $11. That comes to about 23 cents a can. Not bad at all. Jars of their name brand pasta sauce are currently on sale for $1. Boca Chick'n Patties are only $2.99, not on sale. Those go for $4.99 at my Food Lion.

I don't know if they are cutting prices so low just to promote this section of their store, but I'm definitely loving it. I just wanted to mention them because some of their prices are real bargains, especially when they have sales.

My local Target did a similar remodeling also. The prices on groceries are pretty incredible on some things! I was really surprised! They do not carry as large a line of veggie products as my Publix supermarket however and they are located a few miles farther down the road. However, if I am going up that way for other reasons, I do stop in and grab a few things.

I make three stops on my weekly grocery shop, but I get the bulk of my groceries from Super Target.

I only get a few veggies there, but they have pretty much all the canned, frozen, and other general things I need, and great prices on them. I love that they have Amy's and Gardein at over a dollar less than any other grocery store here.

Remember that if you have a Target credit or debit card, you get 5% off every purchase you make with the card. (My bank has an ATM at the Target I shop at, so I pay my card bill by getting cash from the ATM and paying at the Customer Service desk. I pay the bill in full every month and have never paid interest on my Target grocery purchases.)

I don't know if the smaller Target stores do it, but at Super Target I also get those printed out store coupons at the register. I can't use all of them, but I end up using about half of the coupons I get. I also get Target store coupons in the mail, and there are printable coupons on the Target website.

They let you use coupons on sale items, too! (Last time they had Morningstar Farms on sale 2/$5, I also had coupons so I got two boxes of Riblets for less than $2 each, where they are $4.50 each everywhere else.)

If you use the Target pharmacy, you can sign up for the rewards program, where you'll get a coupon for 5% off a purchase after every fifth prescription filled.

I have a big grocery list this week. I've got a stack of coupons, plus a 5% pharmacy rewards coupon, and I'll pay with my Red Card for another 5% off.

Remember that if you have a Target credit or debit card, you get 5% off every purchase you make with the card.

I did not know about the discount using their cards. That's not a bad discount. I might apply for one. Thanks for mentioning that.

I did not know about the discount using their cards. That's not a bad discount. I might apply for one. Thanks for mentioning that.

I think the interest rate on my account is something like 13%, so obviously their plan is that I will carry a balance and end up paying them far more than the 5% I save when using the card.
Like I said, though, I just pay it in full every month to avoid that.

Our Target usually has the lowest price on Amy's and Gardien as well. We always buy Riblets there, since they're a dollar less than most grocery stores. Occasionally, Morningstar will offer one dollar off, so that makes for a nice savings. Their fresh produce is a bit pricey, but all in all, we find them to be reasonable on most other items.

Target also has a list of store and manufacturer's coupons on their website. They often have coupons for vegan products like Gardien and Morningstar Farms which go great with their sales on those products.

I just recently found out that they also price match competitor ads like Walmart does. I'm not sure how lenient they are with the price matching though since I haven't tried it yet. I know that I can even price match Aldi's sales ads on things like produce as long as it is the same quantity/brand/size.

Target also has a list of store and manufacturer's coupons on their website. They often have coupons for vegan products like Gardien and Morningstar Farms which go great with their sales on those products.

I just recently found out that they also price match competitor ads like Walmart does. I'm not sure how lenient they are with the price matching though since I haven't tried it yet. I know that I can even price match Aldi's sales ads on things like produce as long as it is the same quantity/brand/size.

Sweet! I'll check into it.

Reactions: thefadedone
My only problem with shopping for food at a discount store is that I'd be taking my business away from a locally owned grocery store - and there aren't that many left.

My only problem with shopping for food at a discount store is that I'd be taking my business away from a locally owned grocery store - and there aren't that many left.
I know, it is an issue. I buy most of my produce from local farmers markets and fruit stands, but I shop the chain stores for the other stuff. I like Target, am horrified by Walmart.

There are no locally owned grocery stores where I am, at least none that I know of. All the stores that advertise themselves to be "local" are just smaller regional chains.

I do buy a few items at one of those small chain stores, as they carry some things I can't get at Target, but te majority of my shopping is done at Target or Costco.

We have locally owned Asian groceries and some bodegas here, and I go there sometimes, but the language barrier is a hassle.

I know, it is an issue. I buy most of my produce from local farmers markets and fruit stands, but I shop the chain stores for the other stuff. I like Target, am horrified by Walmart.

Fruit and farm stands are the best. Such incredibly good produce for dirt cheap. Even cheaper than the actual Farmer's Markets. Seems like they raise the prices more at Farmer's Markets. Maybe because of competition?

I've never been to or seen a Super Target.:pout: Just a regular Target with expanded foods.

Reactions: Dropkick
Fruit and farm stands are the best. Such incredibly good produce for dirt cheap. Even cheaper than the actual Farmer's Markets. Seems like they raise the prices more at Farmer's Markets. Maybe because of competition?

I've never been to or seen a Super Target.:pout: Just a regular Target with expanded foods.
I agree! I know where all the regular stands are near me, and also on the routes to friends and family that live a little farther out in the country.:D

The farmers markets here are getting fancier, with boutique foods and kitchen stuff, crafts, etc, so I have noticed the produce prices are higher than the roadside stands.

One guy near me puts out a sign and a metal fruit picker Free Citrus, You Pick, Don't Come Bothering Me. :D

Reactions: thefadedone
target has some okay but not fab prices on things.... but i gotta be honest I dont shop their much anymore esp since they changed their return policy on everything esp electronics and treated me like human waste when I tried to either return/exchange the item....I didnt take it from them and fought and got my return but I dont wish to shop places where they treat customers like dirt.....and havent been back since thats bean a long bit and have no real desire to return.....I usually go where the deal is but honestly will pay a bit more for better service.

before I used to like that you can stack coupons a target and manu coupon and got 5 cents off your order for each green bag you brought and when I used to have the cc got some deals thru there.

peace:)

I think it's because most farmer's markets are renting spaces to the sellers, quite often at a high price, which adds to the cost, while the stands are usually on the farmers own land or on land where the renter isn't gouging the seller with an exorbitant rental price.

I agree! I know where all the regular stands are near me, and also on the routes to friends and family that live a little farther out in the country.:D

The farmers markets here are getting fancier, with boutique foods and kitchen stuff, crafts, etc, so I have noticed the produce prices are higher than the roadside stands.

One guy near me puts out a sign and a metal fruit picker Free Citrus, You Pick, Don't Come Bothering Me. :D

The farmers markets are definitely getting fancier. There are some that I would consider "upscale" and way too expensive my cheap poor ***.:p

I've been to a couple places like the one you mentioned with the sellers seeming to go by the honor system. They will just put out a bunch of unattended produce on a table right near the edge of the road along with an empty coffee can for people to put their money in.

I think it's because most farmer's markets are renting spaces to the sellers, quite often at a high price, which adds to the cost, while the stands are usually on the farmers own land or on land where the renter isn't gouging the seller with an exorbitant rental price.

Good point. I had forgotten about that.

I wish I had a Target nearby as many of the best coupons I see online are for there, and I understand that combined with their good sale prices, you can often get groceries for next to nothing.