Sweeteners

Samia

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi guys, I am Samia, family member had Diabetes, and I really love sweet things and I find it complicated to stop every kind of sweetener... Plus, I looove pancakes and how am I supposed to eat it now?? I am looking for the best sweetener in the UK I can use instead of honey or maple syrup, look forward to some tasty suggestions....

Take care!

Hello and welcome to the forum, Samia!

Since you don't like maple syrup, maybe agave nectar might work. I personally like berry toppings on my pancakes. You could try making a topping, like with strawberries, for example. Just reduce them slightly in a pot on the stove, with a tiny bit of water. Perhaps try adding a little bit of agave to the strawberries, then reduce that into a delicious pancake topping.

I really don't use much sugar, so that's about all I can suggest, aside from real cane sugar. There are various kinds of alternative sugars, but at the end of the day, they will all spike one's blood sugar levels, except for the diabetic sugar replacements of course.

Hi guys!
Thanks a lot for your answer. I searched a little bit on Internet and found that Coconut Nectar can truly be a suitable alternative. Did you ever hear about it ? I found one from Bali Nutra.
Let me know, Thanks.

A couple of things. All sweeteners are bad for diabetics. it really doesn't matter the source. The critical thing is the amount. I'm sure it varies from person to person but the rule of thumb most diabetics use is 10 grams of sugar per serving. So if you look at the nutritional info, you can determine pretty easily how to stay under that number.

so your diabetic can use whatever sweetener they like best - but must be careful about the amount.

The other thing to be aware of is how processed the product is. The more highly refined the product - the faster it hits the bloodstream - and the higher the insulin spike. An apple is pretty much unprocessed. Apple sauce is processed. Apple juice is highly processed. You can also get a pretty good handle on the processing by the fiber content of a serving. An apple has about 4 grams of fiber. Applesauce 3. Apple juice 0

The latest info seems to point that even the artificial sweeteners are bad for diabetics. The way it was explained to me is that if the brain thinks something tastes sweet the body reacts to it the same way as if it was sugar.

So basically, use whatever you like best. The diabetic can too - in moderation.

BTW, refined flours are not much different than sugar when it comes to digestion. In fact, pancakes with syrup is rated as one of the top ten worst foods for diabetics.
https://joybauer.com/photo-gallery/worst-foods-for-diabetes/pancakes-and-syrup/

The key to healthy pancakes is to use a whole wheat flour. and instead of syrup - use a fruit topping. Strawberries or blue berries are great for pancakes.
https://diabetesstrong.com/diabetic-pancakes/