Struggling With being underweight

I've added olive oil in Small amounts just to help boost calories in meals I still only consume roughly 15 percent calories from fat on average. I have tried to start eating smaller amounts still seems to be that I'm not actually hungry so even with the smaller meals I have no disir to eat like ever it's so so weird lol
I will def keep updating the thread it's been so stressful and painful at the same time my stomach is struggling to handle it.

I've added olive oil in Small amounts just to help boost calories in meals I still only consume roughly 15 percent calories from fat on average. I have tried to start eating smaller amounts still seems to be that I'm not actually hungry so even with the smaller meals I have no disir to eat like ever it's so so weird lol

So I would say you may wish to consider upping that percentage. Keep it healthy fats like tahini, avocado, nuts and nut butters and some olive oil too is not going to hurt.

I have no desire to do lots of things but I still have to do them, sounds like eating is kinda like that for you. LOL

Emma JC

I will def keep updating the thread it's been so stressful and painful at the same time my stomach is struggling to handle it.

Maybe a trip to the doctor if the pain is that bad.... could be so many simple things or something that needs attention. Is there any chance you have gall stones?

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
So I would say you may wish to consider upping that percentage. Keep it healthy fats like tahini, avocado, nuts and nut butters and some olive oil too is not going to hurt.

I have no desire to do lots of things but I still have to do them, sounds like eating is kinda like that for you. LOL

Emma JC
Pretty much and
Maybe a trip to the doctor if the pain is that bad.... could be so many simple things or something that needs attention. Is there any chance you have gall stones?

Emma JC
I don't believe so most of the pain is on the left side not right also dont have nausea or anything of that nature just cramps and bloating

Reactions: Emma JC
My son has been trying to put on some weight... He's 17, 5' 6.5", and was 105 four weeks ago. Yesterday he was up to 111.

Smoothies have played a big role in that. He adds a bit of coconut milk (the kind from a can), nut butter, and protein powder (Amazing Grass Original) along with the fruit, bananas and greens.

It's much easier to drink your calories than it is to eat them.

He's also been doing a lot of calesthenics - pullups and push-ups, mostly. Nothing that gets his heart rate up too much.

Vegan cheese is a good thing to add too - lots are made with oil, and I've been making him A LOT of pasta with vegan meatballs.

I will even pick up some french fries for him at Jack in the box sometimes.

I don't like this way of saying for long term, but he needed the weight now, and calorie dense foods are what's going to do it. There good thing is, when you're older, your more likely to have the opposite problem. ;)

Where are you located? If you're in the US, I could point you to some high calorie vegan foods at Costco...

Glad to see your still here. Some people just have a super high metabolism. Keep up the smoothies and try some muscle building exercises. You got this!

A diet where 15% of your calories come from fat is considered the minimum RDA.
Most of the WFPB doctors recommend 20 - 30%. And the closer to 20% the better.

I can keep my fat intake to below 30% without even trying but normally I can't get it down to 20%.

Tha
My son has been trying to put on some weight... He's 17, 5' 6.5", and was 105 four weeks ago. Yesterday he was up to 111.

Smoothies have played a big role in that. He adds a bit of coconut milk (the kind from a can), nut butter, and protein powder (Amazing Grass Original) along with the fruit, bananas and greens.

It's much easier to drink your calories than it is to eat them.

He's also been doing a lot of calesthenics - pullups and push-ups, mostly. Nothing that gets his heart rate up too much.

Vegan cheese is a good thing to add too - lots are made with oil, and I've been making him A LOT of pasta with vegan meatballs.

I will even pick up some french fries for him at Jack in the box sometimes.

I don't like this way of saying for long term, but he needed the weight now, and calorie dense foods are what's going to do it. There good thing is, when you're older, your more likely to have the opposite problem. ;)

Where are you located? If you're in the US, I could point you to some high calorie vegan foods at Costco...

Glad to see your still here. Some people just have a super high metabolism. Keep up the smoothies and try some muscle building exercises. You got this!
Thanks so much I'm from NYC, I'm going to take smoothies more seriously I have go do it I don't have Costco near me unfortunately I love going to Trader joes, Whole Foods is great too just super pricey but Trader Joe's is my Go too spot for shopping.

This is my favorite 12 oz homemade smoothie. If you have a blender you can make a few quarts at a time and store them in the frig.
I use my little rocket and make them one at a time.

One banana,
one tbsp ground flaxseed
one cup soy milk
1 tbsp peanut butter.

374 calories, 12 grams of fat, 14 grams of Protein.

If you want you can add more peanut butter.
You can double the recipe and take it to work and sip it all day long.

It's much cheaper and healthier than anything you can buy at a store. But TJ's does have a banana almond smoothie in a bottle.

And here are a couple of hundred more recipes

I suggest....

1. Eat a lot more beans, pasta, bread and potatoes.
2. Don't walk so much. Cut down on the exercise.
3. Make smoothies with ample amounts of Plant Based protein powder. That will help you also gain weight and give you more energy,
I eat beans Potatoes every single day, the problem is the fullness if I eat potatoes I'm full for 6 plus hours atleast. The walking I cant really help it's my job I have to be on my feet for 8-10 hours a day walking around the building cleaning and such it's a job that requires me to be moving at all times.

AH yes, dates! someone just mentioned dates on another thread and that is a good source of calories also! lots of fibre, lots of energy per square inch.
😋

Emma JC

ps Medjool are the tastiest and the most expensive

Last edited:
I just did a quick google search and calories per pound quinoa definitely wins the race by a long shot over potatoes, rice and pasta. Add some veggies and drizzle with tahini and boom, lotsa calories.

Emma JC

Oh. I just heard about these a few weeks ago. I was meaning to buy a box from Amazon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

They come in a variety of flavors, too.
I did the math and these are one of the least expensive protein bars.

LaraBars Protein Bars
Ingredients -
DATES, PEANUTS, PEA PROTEIN, SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE* (UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE, CANE SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, VANILLA EXTRACT), PEANUT OIL, SEA SALT.

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.30.00 AM.png

Reactions: Qwaychou
That's the last thing I need I'm drastically Underweight
I am not offering you to start with heavy cardio exercises right away - start slowly with some Yoga or light weightlifting and build your muscles up. If you don't exercise at all that's why you're always feeling down and without any energy.

Exercise is necessary.

It's in our nature to exercise. Back in the old days, you had to do that. Nowadays people just sit around and do nothing, that's where all the depression and weakness come from.

When you start exercising, you'll start eating more. Your body will start demanding food.

Exercise is the best thing that can fix all your mental and physical problems.

I am not offering you to start with heavy cardio exercises right away - start slowly with some Yoga or light weightlifting and build your muscles up. If you don't exercise at all that's why you're always feeling down and without any energy.

Exercise is necessary.

It's in our nature to exercise. Back in the old days, you had to do that. Nowadays people just sit around and do nothing, that's where all the depression and weakness come from.

When you start exercising, you'll start eating more. Your body will start demanding food.

I work a job that makes me take over 30 thousand steps a day with lifting cleaning and other activities every day. As well as walking literally all day .

• Friendly

Exercise is necessary.

I literally don't sit down from 8 AM till 9 PM daily not exaggerating either

I literally don't sit down from 8 AM till 9 PM daily not exaggerating either
Yeah - you're going to have to carry food with you, it sounds like. LaraBars, smoothies to go, Tahini & banana sandwiches, nuts, dates, etc etc. You're probably burning more calories than most people who aren't training for a marathon xo

That's part of my son's problem. Not that he has a job like that, he just by nature simply doesn't stop to eat until he's super hungry. This whole weight-gaining thing is really a huge chore for him, he says. He can eat a lot, if he waits until he's practically 'starving,' but when he's eating regular meals, he gets full really easily. I'm smaller than he is and I could easily eat twice as much. More practice or something? I don't know. I think age has something to do with it. ...OTOH, I was just like he was as a kid, and so was his dad, so.... 🤷‍♀️`

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
My advice: eat high density foods (lot of calories per unit of weight):

Dry fruits: dattes, raisins, dry cranberries, etc.
Nuts, seeds and avocados (but try to eat loads of omega 3): ground flax seeds, walnuts, etc. Nut butters are good. They are easy to gulp.

And you should also increased starchy foods surch as grains and legumes

Reactions: Lou