Struggling With being underweight

A few tips to gain weight : The Vegan Society, UK

If your appetite is reduced or you need to gain weight, here are some ways to make the most of your vegan diet:

• Eat small meals and snacks, and choose nourishing drinks, such as smoothies, fortified milk alternatives or hot chocolate
  • Include some white pasta, white rice and white bread in your diet because they are less bulky than higher fibre options
  • Use soya alternatives to meat, yoghurt, milk and custard
  • Add soya cream alternative to porridge
  • Add peanut butter to smoothies
  • Add cashew nuts or silken tofu to soups and blend
  • Use crumbled tofu and vegan mayonnaise as a sandwich filling
  • Add olive oil to vegetables
  • Add vegan spread to potato

Yea I never knew that u could link the Fitbit into cronometer. And the reason I underestimated my calories is because of the lack of hunger. I figured my body knew when I am hungry or when I need more food but I'm never hungry I never get the hunger cues so for the longest time I thought I was eating enough until the weight kept falling off I wanted to he 130 ish 140ish pounds when I started not under 120

You also don't seem to be eating enough fat ; avocados, nut and seed butters, olive oil, soya cream etc. You say that you're never hungry but do you actually enjoy your meals ?
Having looked at your typical day's meals, you should swap breakfast as a snack and have a protein packed breakfast. Have a mid afternoon snack and a protein, carb dinner ; a few examples; chili made with beans and/or chickpeas with either seitan, tempeh or tofu plus corn bread. Yogurt and fruit for dessert or ice cream and berries. A cottage pie with green vegetables, mixed salad with vinaigrette, chocolate tofu mousse for dessert. Add nut butter and a few spoons of soya isolate protein to your cereal and smoothies.

I certainly would go back and see your GP and see whether you can be referred to a dietician. You shouldn't be feeling weak and it does require medical attention. :)

You should be getting in between 3400 -3600 calories.

Just want to say congrats Anthony, not only for coming and asking for help but for actually listening and taking advice and looking at things from another angle!!

It is very interesting to watch... please keep us in the loop.

Emma JC

You also don't seem to be eating enough fat ; avocados, nut and seed butters, olive oil, soya cream etc. You say that you're never hungry but do you actually enjoy your meals ?
Having looked at your typical day's meals, you should swap breakfast as a snack and have a protein packed breakfast. Have a mid afternoon snack and a protein, carb dinner ; a few examples; chili made with beans and/or chickpeas with either seitan, tempeh or tofu plus corn bread. Yogurt and fruit for dessert or ice cream and berries. A cottage pie with green vegetables, mixed salad with vinaigrette, chocolate tofu mousse for dessert. Add nut butter and a few spoons of soya isolate protein to your cereal and smoothies.

I certainly would go back and see your GP and see whether you can be referred to a dietician. You shouldn't be feeling weak and it does require medical attention. :)

You should be getting in between 3400 -3600 calories.
I do love the food I eat I eat on average 50 grams of fat a day from chia Seeds Nut butters and other nuts and seeds, I believe i need to eat more calories for sure. And yes I dont tend to feel hungry like ever lol it's weird as hell because I was obese at one point and always felt hungry 3 years ago. But yea I do very much enjoy my meals I need to eat lower volume foods with higher calories I believe. Because thereis no way that I could get that many calories doing what I'm doing now with whole food carbs like potatoes and rice and beans I get so full I wouldnt be hungry for hours if I had that oatmeal holds me over for about 5 hours lol it sounds crazy but its true

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Just want to say congrats Anthony, not only for coming and asking for help but for actually listening and taking advice and looking at things from another angle!!

It is very interesting to watch... please keep us in the loop.

Emma JC
Finding this Fourm is a blessing and of course I'm here for advice and love interacting with people who are on my level with veganism it gets tough when everyone around you isn't vegan and demonize it thank you all for the support I'm grateful for this platform

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I do love the food I eat I eat on average 50 grams of fat a day from chia Seeds Nut butters and other nuts and seeds, I believe i need to eat more calories for sure. And yes I dont tend to feel hungry like ever lol it's weird as hell because I was obese at one point and always felt hungry 3 years ago. But yea I do very much enjoy my meals I need to eat lower volume foods with higher calories I believe. Because thereis no way that I could get that many calories doing what I'm doing now with whole food carbs like potatoes and rice and beans I get so full I wouldnt be hungry for hours if I had that oatmeal holds me over for about 5 hours lol it sounds crazy but its true

Beans are another wonderful source of great calories and for the feeling of satiety. One of my favourite simple meals is to open a can of breakfast beans (pork n beans without the pork of course) and put it on toast. Most of the time I saute onions and jalapenos first, in the pot, before adding the beans and so it is tasty as well. Chick peas are also so good in so many things or even just on their own with some cucumber, green onions (scallions), chopped tomato with vinegar/lemon/lime juice etc. Pick up some tahini and drizzle it over top of whatever bean/starch/veggie mix that you have and that will add lots of calories and healthy fat. There are some great recipes out there for vegan tahini dressings that are so tasty and can be put on almost anything. Shop around for the tahini as there are good quality inexpensive brands available and some very expensive ones too. I love it and have the opposite challenge that you do so have to limit the fats. hmmmm more exercise would mean I could eat more tahini 🤪

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Beans are another wonderful source of great calories and for the feeling of satiety. One of my favourite simple meals is to open a can of breakfast beans (pork n beans without the pork of course) and put it on toast. Most of the time I saute onions and jalapenos first, in the pot, before adding the beans and so it is tasty as well. Chick peas are also so good in so many things or even just on their own with some cucumber, green onions (scallions), chopped tomato with vinegar/lemon/lime juice etc. Pick up some tahini and drizzle it over top of whatever bean/starch/veggie mix that you have and that will add lots of calories and healthy fat. There are some great recipes out there for vegan tahini dressings that are so tasty and can be put on almost anything. Shop around for the tahini as there are good quality inexpensive brands available and some very expensive ones too. I love it and have the opposite challenge that you do so have to limit the fats. hmmmm more exercise would mean I could eat more tahini 🤪

Emma JC
😂😂😂 idk if you have trader Joe's where you are located I'm from NYC but their Tahini is unreal! Best I've tasted easily

Emma JC
That sounds like a great idea to be honest. The issue I seem to run into is underestimating my needs I always knew I took a ton of steps and had alot of cleaning at work I do Mopping ,sweeping, cleaning Tabels walking and always on my feet besides walking 2 miles to work everyday I just figured since I dont go to the gym I wasnt that active clearly wrong. I didnt realize how much simple things like walking add up

• Friendly
That sounds like a great idea to be honest. The issue I seem to run into is underestimating my needs I always knew I took a ton of steps and had alot of cleaning at work I do Mopping ,sweeping, cleaning Tabels walking and always on my feet besides walking 2 miles to work everyday I just figured since I dont go to the gym I wasnt that active clearly wrong. I didnt realize how much simple things like walking add up

wow, we should compare our days.... no we shouldn't, I would be ashamed.... you likely consume less calories that I do, per day, and you are likely 4 or 5 times more active.... thank goodness for wfpl eating as I can feel full by eating my oatmeal and potatoes and rice and keep my weight somewhat consistent

Emma JC

wow, we should compare our days.... no we shouldn't, I would be ashamed.... you likely consume less calories that I do, per day, and you are likely 4 or 5 times more active.... thank goodness for wfpl eating as I can feel full by eating my oatmeal and potatoes and rice and keep my weight somewhat consistent

Emma JC
Whole foods are crazy my parents cant believe I'm so skinny lol the size of my salads and I eat like 2 cups of brown rice but its something they dont understand how calorie density really is so different on a plant based diet, my huge salad looks like alot but in reality its just vegetables and whole grains or potatoes

I suggest....

1. Eat a lot more beans, pasta, bread and potatoes.
2. Don't walk so much. Cut down on the exercise.
3. Make smoothies with ample amounts of Plant Based protein powder. That will help you also gain weight and give you more energy,

Reactions: Frederic Lavender
Like many people before suggested - try any plant-based protein.

I personally don't eat much, sometimes only 2 times a day. I am 1.80m and constantly weight 68-70kg. I do heavy cardio (martial arts) and I feel very strong and fresh every day.

From your profile I see that you're 23 years old, I would really suggest you to start doing some heavy cardio exercises. Google that up.

Of course the first few weeks or even a month it would be really hard - but trust me, it's totally worth it! If you make this a habit, it will benefit greatly to all aspects of your life including mental and physical.

• Sad
Like many people before suggested - try any plant-based protein.

I personally don't eat much, sometimes only 2 times a day. I am 1.80m and constantly weight 68-70kg. I do heavy cardio (martial arts) and I feel very strong and fresh every day.

From your profile I see that you're 23 years old, I would really suggest you to start doing some heavy cardio exercises. Google that up.

Of course the first few weeks or even a month it would be really hard - but trust me, it's totally worth it! If you make this a habit, it will benefit greatly to all aspects of your life including mental and physical.
That's the last thing I need I'm drastically Underweight

That's the last thing I need I'm drastically Underweight

good morning @Anthonyxj18

So glad that you're still hanging out with us, any progress?

I was wondering if you have time for a smoothie in the morning and if you have a blender? Bananas are one thing that some people eat a lot of, especially people that burn a lot of energy. A multi banana smoothie with frozen berries, greens, almond milk, ground flax, hemp, wheat germ, peanut butter or peanut butter powder, etc can give you lots of energy for the day and add extra calories. There are some that have a huge one with 10 bananas. That would be too much for me as I am not as active as you but it might help? throw in some of the tahini and anything else that you like. Handfuls of greens, some seaweed powder... any other veggie that you like, cucumber?

After I typed all this I looked back to see what you mentioned you ate for breakfast and saw you said apple, berries and grapes and that just isn't enough for someone that is using so many calories. If you don't have time for the smoothie then at least toast some nice hearty sprouted Ezekiel bread and slather it with peanut butter.... o_O and even some jam or have it go as a PB&J.

Emma JC

good morning @Anthonyxj18

So glad that you're still hanging out with us, any progress?

I was wondering if you have time for a smoothie in the morning and if you have a blender? Bananas are one thing that some people eat a lot of, especially people that burn a lot of energy. A multi banana smoothie with frozen berries, greens, almond milk, ground flax, hemp, wheat germ, peanut butter or peanut butter powder, etc can give you lots of energy for the day and add extra calories. There are some that have a huge one with 10 bananas. That would be too much for me as I am not as active as you but it might help? throw in some of the tahini and anything else that you like. Handfuls of greens, some seaweed powder... any other veggie that you like, cucumber?

After I typed all this I looked back to see what you mentioned you ate for breakfast and saw you said apple, berries and grapes and that just isn't enough for someone that is using so many calories. If you don't have time for the smoothie then at least toast some nice hearty sprouted Ezekiel bread and slather it with peanut butter.... o_O and even some jam or have it go as a PB&J.

Emma JC
I have made some progress not much I've added a smoothie and it was great addition. My only issue is that I get so full so fast eating anything so things tend to keep me so full for HOURS I'm NEVER hungry even with my level of physical activity and active work place that's the only thing I've really been having a problem with its concerning. When I try and eat alot I get stomach discomfort and bloating and just pain it's hard but I'm trying my best at this point I noticed if I eat a heavy breakfast I'm not hungry until like 4 o'clock which is a issue because at 4 I'm still at work till 7 pm I eat dinner around 8 pm because of the lack of hunger truthfully. It's been a journey its hard

I see the problem, that must be challenging. I have a sister with the opposite problem. She doesn't have anything to help her know to stop eating. She is never not hungry... although she wouldn't define it that way as I don't think it is a physical hunger.

So maybe if you eat many smaller meals? would that be possible? make a smoothie and have it in two parts and hour or so apart? then some more food in a couple of hours, etc. Your stomach may have shrunk and that is why the physical discomfort.

Avocado's, calorie dense option and doesn't take up a lot of space.... lol ....

This article sorta sums up what many here have been saying. I am not keen on the oil recommendations would rather see more nuts/nut butter than actual oils on their own. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/high-calorie-vegan-foods#section10

Emma JC

Oh. Emma just posted another reply before I got this one in.
But we already knew that great minds think alike. :)

-----
I agree with what Emma said, and I also I'm glad you are still with us and making at least a little progress.

I or others may have made the following suggestions, I'm too lazy to go back and look. But no matter they probably worth repeating.

Make a bigger smoothie. but don't drink it all at once. but take it in an insulated tumbler or even a regular bottle with a little ice. Then just sip on it all day long. If you had one ounce every 20 minutes, you could finish off 12 oz in half a shift or 24 oz in a full shift. You probably won't even notice it as far as "filling" goes. I also think it would keep your energy levels up while you work.

Most of us limit our nuts to the minimum (about a handful a day) but that is mostly cause we are concerned with gaining weight. You could keep a little bag of nuts in your pocket and just have two nuts every 20 minutes. One peanut is about 6 calories. so that would be ...... an extra 300 calories a day.

Also, don't eat big meals - try to just eat lots of small meals. Like instead of a PB&J sandwich for lunch you could cut it up in quarters and eat just one quarter every hour. Quarter sandwiches are great cause they can be eaten with one hand. Like when driving or walking. Veggie wraps can be cut into 8ths. (by the way, they are called pinwheels). and burrito like things when cut up are called roll-ups. you can google it and get lots of ideas.

I see the problem, that must be challenging. I have a sister with the opposite problem. She doesn't have anything to help her know to stop eating. She is never not hungry... although she wouldn't define it that way as I don't think it is a physical hunger.

So maybe if you eat many smaller meals? would that be possible? make a smoothie and have it in two parts and hour or so apart? then some more food in a couple of hours, etc. Your stomach may have shrunk and that is why the physical discomfort.

Avocado's, calorie dense option and doesn't take up a lot of space.... lol ....

This article sorta sums up what many here have been saying. I am not keen on the oil recommendations would rather see more nuts/nut butter than actual oils on their own. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/high-calorie-vegan-foods#section10

Emma JC
I've added olive oil in Small amounts just to help boost calories in meals I still only consume roughly 15 percent calories from fat on average. I have tried to start eating smaller amounts still seems to be that I'm not actually hungry so even with the smaller meals I have no disir to eat like ever it's so so weird lol