Struggling with asian inspired vegan dishes

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My asian inspired dishes always turn out soggy or overcooked and my tofu is not very crispy despite pressing it. Can anyone give me some pointers and advice regarding asian style vegan cooking please?

My asian inspired dishes always turn out soggy or overcooked and my tofu is not very crispy despite pressing it. Can anyone give me some pointers and advice regarding asian style vegan cooking please?
It looks like in order to get crispy tofu, you have to give it a coat of cornstarch before cooking: How to Make Crispy Baked Tofu - Cookie and Kate

To avoid soggy vegetables, first add the "sturdiest" vegetables to the pan (carrots, broccoli). The more "delicate" vegetables (leafy greens) should be added to the pan at the very end of cooking.

Reactions: Anonymous1502
Yes!!

For most of us non-Asians we didn't grow with mom making stir fry and tofu. so we don't have all the skills or the background.

I, too, had to learn how to do tofu and stir fry. And it really did take a while. but you have taken the first, most important, and biggest step. Realizing that something is wrong and then trying to fix it.

I could give you specific advice but it would be like writing a book - or at least a couple of chapters. If you have specific questions - send me a PM.

But I can steer you to two of the sources that really helped me.

This is the shortest of the articles I've collected. (there are literally books on it) but this is a great place to start.

the one thing it doesn't mention is Super firm Tofu. If it's in the store - that is what I buy. It's a little more expensive but I think since you are not buying as much water it comes out about the same. You can recognize super firm because instead of coming in a tub of water it is in something like vacuum-packed.

If I didn't buy super firm all the time I would invest in a tofu press.

I thought I had a better article on stir fry. but this one is pretty good

I've found that you don't have to have a wok (although I have one now) Purists will tell you it has to be a cast iron. but I like my nonstick skillet.

Getting the right heat on your stove is tricky but don't be afraid of turning it way up. also don't stop stirring. it's only for 3 - 5 minutes.

two more

you can check out my CopyMeThat page for more recipes.

It looks like in order to get crispy tofu, you have to give it a coat of cornstarch before cooking: How to Make Crispy Baked Tofu - Cookie and Kate

To avoid soggy vegetables, first add the "sturdiest" vegetables to the pan (carrots, broccoli). The more "delicate" vegetables (leafy greens) should be added to the pan at the very end of cooking.
There are a lot of good crispy baked tofu recipes, I like the one that is a on Sarah's Vegan cooking youtube channel.

I think the most the most important things to do to stir fry veggies - is to use really high heat, just a little oil, and stir constantly. But yeah, add the leafy greens last.

Reactions: David3
There are a lot of good crispy baked tofu recipes, I like the one that is a on Sarah's Vegan cooking youtube channel.

I think the most the most important things to do to stir fry veggies - is to use really high heat, just a little oil, and stir constantly. But yeah, add the leafy greens last.
Excellent point about the important of high heat! I've heard some cooks say that a typical home stove just doesn't get hot enough to do true Chinese stir fry, so it may not be possible to get restaurant-like results. Chinese restaurants have these huge, jet airplane-like stove burners. Super hot!

Yes. but I think the number one thing is that most people are just afraid to turn their stove on high. I resisted doing it even after I knew better.

Reactions: David3
Yes. but I think the number one thing is that most people are just afraid to turn their stove on high. I resisted doing it even after I knew better.
I have an electric stove, could that be the problem?

I have an electric stove, could that be the problem?
I have an electric stove, too. and for the longest time, I did my stir fry on Medium-High. It was only after reading an article that I was convinced to try High. I get good results on medium-high but I get the best results on high. The thing about high is you can't leave it alone for more than a few seconds. Stir, stir. stir. or it burns. The good news is that once it reaches the cooking temperatures and you put in your veggies it is done in just a few minutes.

Also, remember that it will keep cooking for a minute even after you take it off the stove. so be sure to move the veggies to the plate as soon as you think they are ready. I usually turn off the burner and take it off about a minute before I think they are ready. then go get my plate of rice out of the microwave.

There is a concern about using nonstick fry pans with high heat. Many nonstick fry pans are not suitable for high heat. but some are. If you aren't sure - it might be time to buy a new fry pan or maybe a cast-iron one.
Also, most people recommend woks. And I have one but I actually prefer to use an 11-inch skillet.

I second coating the tofu with cornstarch. I then fry it in a little oil on medium-high until it gets kind of a golden brown.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and silva
I have coated the tofu with cornstarch instead of becoming golden it became black.

Would it be better to oven bake tofu?Is the outcome different I never oven baked tofu. Any tips?

I think that fried tofu is far easier and tastier. Having said that I don't like tofu and only make it from time to time.

It's really quite simple to make and you only have to follow a few simple steps. Do you know how to cook other food or dishes or is it the first time that you've fried food ?

Without reading too many posts, I know from my own experience as a chef, the number one reason you have a soggy stir-fry is the pan/wok was not hot enough. Ideally, a wok performs best over a gas burner. If you don't have a gas burner, then cast iron might be your next best bet. Definitely make sure you're using a flat bottom wok or straight cast iron, if not using a gas burner.

As for the tofu, there's enough posts explaining what you need to do to make that crispy. Coating with corn or potato starch seem to be the more popular methods. If yours is going black, I would suggest watching a few YouTube videos on "how to crisp tofu". Both oven and stove top methods work great.

There's a kazillion videos like this one on YT:

I have coated the tofu with cornstarch instead of becoming golden it became black.
I have never used breaded tofu in a stir fry. I've thought about it a few times but I've never tried it.

BTW, I made stir fry last night. and it came out perfect. (don't always get a perfect result).

The store had the super firm tofu in again so i bought two thingies. One I froze and one I put in the firg. I cut up the tofu and veggies (mushrooms and broccoli - about one cup of broccoli and 3 - 4 mushrooms). then I had put the veggies in a bag with a tbsp of soy sauce and oil and shook it up. I put 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp soy sauce in the wok brought it up to cooking temp (high on my stove). Then added the tofu first. Stirred for a couple of minutes till the tofu was a light tan and then I added the veggies. Total cooking time was less than 5 minutes.

I do have a really good Crispy Baked Tofu Recipe where you bread the tofu. I've made it and it is easy. You can make a block of it all at once. I use the baked tofu either as a side or appetizer. but my favorite is to add it to my big salad. You can add it before or after the salad dressing. I've never added it to a stir fry.

For soups, I just add the raw tofu to the pot with everything else.

Oh. here is Sarah explaining how to make Crispy Baked Tofu. She has a lot of really good ideas, I especially found the two idea of using one hand for the milk and another hand for the breading really good

Without reading too many posts, I know from my own experience as a chef, the number one reason you have a soggy stir-fry is the pan/wok was not hot enough. Ideally, a wok performs best over a gas burner. If you don't have a gas burner, then cast iron might be your next best bet. Definitely make sure you're using a flat bottom wok or straight cast iron, if not using a gas burner.

As for the tofu, there's enough posts explaining what you need to do to make that crispy. Coating with corn or potato starch seem to be the more popular methods. If yours is going black, I would suggest watching a few YouTube videos on "how to crisp tofu". Both oven and stove top methods work great.

There's a kazillion videos like this one on YT:

This is a great video. I've never seen it before but it is worth watching.

I think that fried tofu is far easier and tastier. Having said that I don't like tofu and only make it from time to time.

It's really quite simple to make and you only have to follow a few simple steps. Do you know how to cook other food or dishes or is it the first time that you've fried food ?
Tofu is the only thing I fry everything else I either boil, oven cook or make in vegetable stock.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Tofu is the only thing I fry everything else I either boil, oven cook or make in vegetable stock.

If you have the necessary set up ; frying pan and oil, try and fry some bread and see how it works. It's just a
case of building up some confidence as it's really quite easy. :)